Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

clepak

I thought it would be different

Rate this Entry
As of today it has been 2 weeks since my surgery. The pain is almost 100% gone now. I tend to get more heartburn again, haven't had that in over 10 years. I have not had any episodes where what I have been eating has come back up. But I have been getting what I believe are hunger pains. It seems the more I heal the stronger they become. I was under the understanding the hunger would be gone after surgery. The first follow up with my surgeon is in 2 days so I guess I have a couple questions for him. Portions are definitely different now, I had a small Filet of Flounder this evening and it was definitely at my maximum consumption limit. Best part - 100 calories and 19 grams of protein. Happy to be moving away from the pureed diet. Good Luck and Good Health to you...

Submit "I thought it would be different" to Digg Submit "I thought it would be different" to del.icio.us Submit "I thought it would be different" to StumbleUpon Submit "I thought it would be different" to Google

Comments

I experienced (hunger feelings) after surg. found that just chewing on a food I like and removing without swallowing relieved it. This feeling ended for me and I have no hunger issues. Have to remind me to eat, and usually notice when my energy is getting low or I feel bitchy (low sugars). Just do the best you can and you will get there.
    Well, there is definitely a learning curve with your new sleeve. At first, because you may not feel well, you don't really get hungry. But after only liquids for two weeks or so, your body starts adjusting to the lack of food. Some of the hunger may be mental, but some may be physical. After I got back to a normal food diet, I experienced hunger about every three hours because I don't eat that much any more. I would just eat my protein or have a shake. At 4 months out, I still have a Premier Protein shake every morning to get my body going and get 30 grams of protein in. My doc said that was fine. I can now go longer than three hours between meals as long as I am drinking my "water." If I don't, I definitely get the hunger pains. The blessing of the sleeve is that I can only eat a portion of what I used to eat. It makes me stop when I feel full. I too have never thrown up after eating because I listen to my sleeve.

As long as you listen to your sleeve, you will do fine. Oh and you have to make the smart food choices.

Good luck.
    There is a "break up" period, that over a 6-9 week period, your "hunger" dies, and you kind of "break up" with bad food, bad food habits, and start creating new ones. Its a process. This is the time you learn new recipes, learn new habits- best of luck
    From my experience hunger pains were a sign of acid reflux. Ask your surgeon about it. I was prescribed one reflux medication that only worked for a short time and then prescribed something different which helped so much. Good luck
    I am almost 6 months Post opt and I still get hungry. But I wanted to tell you the 1st month after surgery I got really bad heart burn but now nothing. I guess it was from healing from surgery???? either way there is a learning curve for your sleve. what is happening now may not happen in 2 weeks there is a lot of stuff changing in your body that is for sure. But I will say what a wonderful ride it is. Best of luck to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedracer
    There is a "break up" period, that over a 6-9 week period, your "hunger" dies, and you kind of "break up" with bad food, bad food habits, and start creating new ones. Its a process. This is the time you learn new recipes, learn new habits- best of luck
    This is a great way to put it. I'm at 8 wks post op now and am starting to notice that the hungry feelings are going away. Certainly less frequent and strong than they were right after surgery.

I think the biggest misconception about this surgery (besides those that think it's the "easy" way out) is that you won't feel hungry afterwards. I really wish I had known going in that I'd feel hunger in the weeks after. It may have saved a few minor "OMG, this isn't going to work for me, I'm going to be fat forever" freak-outs!
    Quote Originally Posted by browncurlygrl
    From my experience hunger pains were a sign of acid reflux. Ask your surgeon about it. I was prescribed one reflux medication that only worked for a short time and then prescribed something different which helped so much. Good luck
    That was very intuitive! I switched my reflux meds from 1 large capsule a day that I had to mix with food or drink to 2 small tablets that I could just swallow and it improved. Although, I am still getting hungry lol
    Quote Originally Posted by MNMomma
    This is a great way to put it. I'm at 8 wks post op now and am starting to notice that the hungry feelings are going away. Certainly less frequent and strong than they were right after surgery.

I think the biggest misconception about this surgery (besides those that think it's the "easy" way out) is that you won't feel hungry afterwards. I really wish I had known going in that I'd feel hunger in the weeks after. It may have saved a few minor "OMG, this isn't going to work for me, I'm going to be fat forever" freak-outs!
    Glad to know it isn't just me feeling that way. almost 5 weeks post op now and the last week has been pretty rough. The "hunger pains" are better now because it turned out it was reflux, but I am finding myself hungry about 4 times a day now. Before surgery, I read in articles that I would "lose" the hunger, but so far I have not. The Doctors also told me "most" patients lose the feeling of being hungry as well as the ability to feel full. The latter is true, I am still hopeful on the hunger part. 1 month, down 36lbs... I hope to keep that going
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrissyD
    I am almost 6 months Post opt and I still get hungry. But I wanted to tell you the 1st month after surgery I got really bad heart burn but now nothing. I guess it was from healing from surgery???? either way there is a learning curve for your sleve. what is happening now may not happen in 2 weeks there is a lot of stuff changing in your body that is for sure. But I will say what a wonderful ride it is. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks for the info, good to know that what I'm feeling is normal... Good luck to you also!