Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

WeaponofMassInstruction

As The Dark Clouds Gather, I Have A Rainbow Coming Out Of My Ass

Rate this Entry
I know the weight loss I have experienced causes a bit of an emotional Funland ride, but the circumstances in my immediate sphere of influence have exacerbated those emotions akin to poking a cobra with a stick; I proudly state that I have NOT let it all get to me. In this downpour of depression, I opened my jumbo umbrella and went for a stroll.
The first attack on my level of comfort came in the form of a 5' 9" chubby woman with a bad hair cut and a dress sized too small: my boss. She entered my classroom two Fridays ago to inform me that the budget cuts being what they are, my position has been placed in excess. In other words, find another job, fucker! Now, luckily teachers have SOME security here in NYC and I retain my benefits and perks; otherwise, the surgery would be off. However, I need to find a new position for myself by fall or risk being sent to a new school every week as a sub, not the worst of all fates but as a veteran educator, I should be in a cush post at this point in my career, not the whipping post for urban kids whose teacher is absent. To worsen the matter, this news needs to be delivered contractually 10 days prior to the school year's end. This means, I STILL had to go to a job that was no longer mine for 10 additional days and pretend all is well. Ha. People avoided me like I had leprosy, afraid they might "catch" a lost job themselves. See, if someone with 14 years in can be let go, well then, they are all expendable.
That night I went home, sulked a bit, and then headed to an appointment with the sleep doctor to learn the results from the sleep study (see previous blog). Turns out I have "severe sleep apnea," not breathing up to 70 times an hour! He explained how this shortens the life span twice as much as cigarettes and alcohol. I suggested I start sleeping and take up smoking and drinking as I can at least enjoy a longer existence. No smile. He required A SECOND SLEEP STUDY to see how I respond to the mask. I cried on the way home, remembering the awful experience I had with the first.
When I got home, Carla, the surgeon's claim handler, called and in her sing songy voice said, "Remember how I told you when we booked your surgery for the 1st of July that the doctor had not scheduled his vacation yet? Well, I have bad news. He will be away that week." My heart sank faster than Paula Deen's career this past week. She followed with, "We are putting you in for the 8th, a week later." That crisis was narrowly averted. Still, I wanted the maximum time to recover and just lost a week.
Sleep study 2.0 was worse than the first. This time a cute Asian woman with the bedside gentility of Joseph Mengele scrubbed my face raw with alcohol pads to apply the sensors. I had welts for days! In addition to the 20+ sensors from last time, this time the study included 5 additional EKG sensors, and, of course, the mask. She placed a mask covering my nose securely and assisted me in positioning myself for sleep. One fact she neglected to mention? You cannot open your mouth!!! I did. About a half hour into slumber, my mouth fell open and the tube blast oxygen down my throat, creating the sensation of drowning. I woke up in a panic and that was pretty much it for me for sleep for that night. She fitted me with a mask for both the mouth and nose, and this worked but the sandman had packed his shot and moved on by this point. I stared at the ceiling until around 3:30 am when she came in the room and said, "You know, you need to try to get some sleep for this study to work." As if I came here for the atmosphere!!! I must have drifted off at some point because it was 5:15 am before I knew it and I packed to leave.
Now, through all of this I have been a tumult of tears and smiles, almost like a bipolar patient, but I refuse to let it get me down. I decided I could admit defeat and brood away the summer (which I may as well considering the high temps and constant rain/storms) or I could be proactive and retain my focus on a solid life change. I chose the latter. I bought my wife a custom made table of gorgeous reclaimed wood that she spied at an art fair and explained that since she prepares the meals to help us both in our quest to thin down, I thought we should have a statement piece about food as a thank you for all her support. What better than a table? She loves it and was as happy as a pervert in a rain coat warehouse. SO what is the moral of this story? When the going gets tough the tough go shopping? No, not at all although I have seen that phrase as a bumper sticker before and now understand why so many married men work a second job. The moral is what you want it to be. For me, it is about not crumbling under the weight of the things you believe you cannot bear. I know people have it far worse than I do, and I don't wish to compare war stories, so to speak, but I do hope all of them, and all of you, can find a little light in those dark corners and can shit rainbows instead of regret in your journey.

Submit "As The Dark Clouds Gather, I Have A Rainbow Coming Out Of My Ass" to Digg Submit "As The Dark Clouds Gather, I Have A Rainbow Coming Out Of My Ass" to del.icio.us Submit "As The Dark Clouds Gather, I Have A Rainbow Coming Out Of My Ass" to StumbleUpon Submit "As The Dark Clouds Gather, I Have A Rainbow Coming Out Of My Ass" to Google

Tags: depression Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hey its a strange life sometimes, we get dealt with stuff we have to deal with..I am sorry you are so depressed. We all need a good friend to cheer us in those times. I hope all goes well for you.

Life seemed very black when I was first scheduled for my surgery in March. I had to cancel my surgery and fly back to England to be with a critically ill family member.

I wasn't prepared for the silver lining that cloud brought. Had I not flown back gone through a whole load of shit..my daughter and I would not have mended a few bridges..my stepmother may have died. That's a whole other story I won't bore you with ..it's in my blog.

I wish you luck finding a new position teaching...
    I teach art and have only been up here in the mountains of NC for 2 years and have yet to find a niche.
    I wish you all the best Hev
    I certainly will be checking in.. knowing you will feel better soon and praying about your job possibilities.. time is divided.. before all this and after all of this. Tests... but you seem strong.. confident on the road you have chosen. Keep us all up to date.. let us know how it goes tomorrow.. good thoughts are there for you.. keep that determination up!

By the way.. I applaud your writing skills.. the Paula Deen/rainbow remarks were priceless.. smile.. you certainly gave me a good chuckle with your wit.
    Sorry about the roller coaster you have had to endure, but kudos to you for persevering. I am certain your enthusiasm for teaching and changing lives that comes through in your blog posts will be apparent when you apply for another teaching post. Hang in there! P.S. that table sounds wicked cool
    When life sucker punches you in the gut, barf on it! Keep your head up, and its gonna happen so fast. Poor Paula Deen, I like that saucy old broad a lot! She told the truth, about using poor word choice back in 1989, while on the stand in 2013, well screw all the idiots dropping her. Walmart? Are you joking me? They have been treating women, especially African American women poorly since they opened their doors for business. See supreme court law suits one after another. Ok, back to you, You got this, you'll do fine!
    I always shit rainbows, the alternative was no fun! Keep your chin up & life will work itself out. Happy to hear your surgery is still a go. Good luck & keep us posted.
    This is my 14th year of teaching as well...I can't imagine being in that situation, so I sympathize with you. Keep your chin up though. Is NY still in school? We got out the first week of June here in Texas and go back August 19th.
    [QUOTE=Hev;bt86118]Hey its a strange life sometimes, we get dealt with stuff we have to deal with..I am sorry you are so depressed. We all need a good friend to cheer us in those times. I hope all goes well for you.

Life seemed very black when I was first scheduled for my surgery in March. I had to cancel my surgery and fly back to England to be with a critically ill family member.

I wasn't prepared for the silver lining that cloud brought. Had I not flown back gone through a whole load of shit..my daughter and I would not have mended a few bridges..my stepmother may have died. That's a whole other story I won't bore you with ..it's in my blog.

I wish you luck finding a new position teaching...
    I teach art and have only been up here in the mountains of NC for 2 years and have yet to find a niche.
    I wish you all the best Hev[/QUOTE]

I wish you luck as well. They let the ONLY art teacher go from the school as well, and I never understood why the arts programs always go first considering they are usually the places kids find refuge in school.
    [QUOTE=GA400;bt86137]Sorry about the roller coaster you have had to endure, but kudos to you for persevering. I am certain your enthusiasm for teaching and changing lives that comes through in your blog posts will be apparent when you apply for another teaching post. Hang in there! P.S. that table sounds wicked cool :)[/QUOTE]

I rely too heavily on similes here. Ha. Glad you like my writing as I will probably be forced to do a lot of it to stay stimulated when recovering this summer. I need to do SOMETHING and there is little exertion here.
    Another teacher here hoping you find another job soon! Hang in there! Also sending good thoughts for your upcoming surgery!
    Sending good mojo your way! Stay positive, if you can.
    So sorry to hear about all you're going through. I'm glad you're driving the crappy situation you've been dealt rather than riding in the victim's seat. Good for you, and good for not putting your life on hold. Kudos on getting that table for you and your wife...I think that was a good move.
    Hang in there! It is amazing how things work out unexpectedly. You never know what new opportunity will be popping up around the corner. The journey of life is full of unexpected twists and turns. Sometimes things that seem awful at furst turn out being a blessing in disguise. I'm glad that you will still be able to have your surgery, as it is a huge step towards your new life.

Good Luck!
    I love your strength, character and personality. I see great things comming your way. I know it does feel like it at the time but God never gives us more than we can handle. He has an amazing plan for you and I can wait until you give us the update on the blessings that are about to come you way.
    You may have lost your job, but you didn't lose your sense of humor. Hang in there Buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponofMassInstruction
    I wish you luck as well. They let the ONLY art teacher go from the school as well, and I never understood why the arts programs always go first considering they are usually the places kids find refuge in school.
    I don't understand that either!

I live in a very economically depressed area (over 85% of students receive free-reduced lunches), and we have not had arts in the schools here for years except band. The band teacher volunteers over 20hrs a week. The kids only go to school 4 days a week, for the past 10 years too.

But the community will get together and raise/donate $120K per year to maintain sports. I believe sports are important, but no more important than arts are!