Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Darcybecky

3 days out.....

Rate this Entry
I just had my surgery on Thursday and am back home today (i live about 5 hours away). The surgery went as well as can be expected for a surgery, I will tell you that the nausea that follows the next day or two is HORRID. Gas pains? yep, a few, even today. Vomiting? not much came out, but lots of dry heaving. According to the nurses, it's your belly's way of dealing with the trauma and your heads' way of thinking you'll feel better, if you'd just throw up! My insurance took about 4 weeks, I think. The preop diet, well....that is a different story. I wasn't physically hungry....hardly at all, but my head sure was. I was craving a cheese and pepperoni pizza so bad. BUT, I knew if I blew it, there was a chance that Dr. Kim wouldn't do the procedure for me, it's not a risk I was willing to take. The staff as Victory was OUTSTANDING! Never have I had such great attention to detail, compassion and over all general honest to goodness care from an entire staff. They were all super nice and on the ball with everything. I don't think I had to wait for more than 5 minutes from the time I ran the nurse til someone was in there with us. It was pretty awesome. I feel pretty good today and I will tell you that my turning point was when they finally let me have some loratab. Before that, it was all IV medications, and nothing seemed to be helping, much. I"m sure it was doing something, but not enough. Yes, you'll get up walking, and you WON'T want to. Not at all...but you have to make yourself. I say pull up your big girl panties and get in the middle of it. I am still on clear liquid as I"ve only been sleeved since Thursday the 20th. Again, it's not too bad, as long as you have the right mind set. You can do this and I know you'll be pleased with Victory. P.S. the Holiday Inn Express right next door to it, gives you a discount as long as you tell them that you will be at Victory getting a medical procedure, good to know if your family wants to stay.

Submit "3 days out....." to Digg Submit "3 days out....." to del.icio.us Submit "3 days out....." to StumbleUpon Submit "3 days out....." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I have heard a lot of people get sick. I think I was lucky on that part. I have a bad leg. I couldn't walk a lot. So I got the gas pains. Very painful. Glad they gave u pain meds to help. Congrats on Your new road. Please keep us updated. Positive wishes coming your way.
    Congrats and welcome to the sleeved side.
    I know exactly how you felt the 2nd day. I was so nausea and I was vomiting every time I took a sip of anything. It gets better and you will find you have soooo much energy. Keep up the good work!
    i had LOTS of nausea and vomiting at first. I still have it at times, but I'm finally starting to come along. I had surgery 23 days ago! It does get better. For me, the dry heaving was my body trying to release gas. I will heave until I belch, then I feel better. It's much better than it was, but I still do it once or twice a day.
    Welcome to the "sleeved side"! Glad you are doing better and the pain meds are working better for you. I know the Iv meds would slightly work for about and hour or so for me until they switched me over to oral pain med. I was able to wean off the pain meds w/in the first 3 days of being home as I'm sure you'll find out for yourself. Wishing you all the best in your new journey!
    I'm lucky with no nausea they placed a patch behind my ear prior to surgery comparable to the patch they give you on a cruise ship for sea sickness I think that saved me....no vomiting or gas but I do a silent burp after drinking................wishing you the best
    The first two days I was home, the nausea was horrid! Compazine helped that.

Gas, holy cow - it was bad! Took about a week and a half to let up

Indigestion was the worst! I had it for about 2 solid weeks. I took a lot of TUMs, Gas-X and Maalox. My surgeon said it was from all the swelling.

But now, great! None of the above. Oh, sometimes indigestion if I forget to take my prilosec twice a day and vomit if I eat too fast
    3 days post op. I was supposed to come home Friday but had the start of a U T I from the catheter so the Dr. put me on two full courses of Cipro I.V. My blood pressure kept going up beyond normal so I was watched carefully. going in to operating room and seeing all of the team and all of the instruments a;most made me lose my courage. Just when thought I think I want to wait I was out!!I also had a hernia Dr. fixed. Day by day I know it will be more than worth it but eight now I don't know if I am coming or going!!
    I am also 3 days post op. I have found maalox is the best thing for the gas pains and nausea. I take a tsp with my medicine and ive felt 10x better. Glad everything went good. good luck with your journey!
    Thanks for the post. You answered all my questions as I will be going to Victory too if I'm approved soon with the same Dr. Agreed, if I'm approved and when i start the liquid diet, i will not cheat as Dr Kim will just cancel and move on. While his bedside manner isn't the best, he doesn't play around and takes his surgery very seriously ( i hope all doctors do). Sorry you are getting sick. Do they not give you guys anything for the throw ups besides malox and tums? What about phenagren or something else? Just curious. Thanks for the post! PIP