Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Truebody

What a difference a day makes.

Rate this Entry
Feeling very sooky today, wobbly, left-out, isolated, old and just a little bit hysterical and a tiny bit freaked.

Why? I’ve done a silly thing and started looking at members who were sleeved the same day as me and boy – there is a HUGE difference in the weight lost. I am hanging on to my sanity by a thread and I’m doing that by looking at the ‘other’ differences, not just the pounds lost.

Being on the wrong side of 50 and dieting off and on for a solid 40 years, my poor old metabolism is probably as impervious to change as a pair of old boots. There’s a saying about dogs and tricks that applies and I’m sure my system is taking this current reduction in calories in its stride saying – “been there, done that” – and is waiting me out. Almost everyone else with the same op date is younger and therefore has a metabolism that moves faster, burns faster – seriously, mine would run backwards if it could. I know that drastically cutting back on calories is a dumb idea as my body would just happily content itself with starvation mode just to spite me.

Upshot of my adherence to my plan, the liquids, the exercise (I’m walking to/from work when it’s not raining and dusting off the gym membership for a whip around the weight machines) I’ve lost 7kgs since May 10 and even that goes up and down a half kilo here and there. I’m jumping on the scale simply out of curiosity, but noting the loss and doing the measurements every two weeks – so that happens this Saturday. Now, it is hard to feel like a failure as there is no way I could’ve shed that weight by any other means in the same time frame – not a hope – but I am feeling like I’m letting down the side a bit and wanting to do a better job of it.

Freaking me out now. No longer calm and collected – not today anyway.

Open to sage advice, common sense and a good “talking to……”

Submit "What a difference a day makes." to Digg Submit "What a difference a day makes." to del.icio.us Submit "What a difference a day makes." to StumbleUpon Submit "What a difference a day makes." to Google

Comments

Hugs Jen .... Not going to tell you all the stuff you already know.
    I try not to compare ... It' hard ... Can I be the same with 40 pounds to lose post op to someone with 100. Is my medical condition not unique to me ..... Will I have less problems with no emotional tie to food ...... Why can I tolerate eggs and you can't?
    I hear you and send best wishes for you "funk" to move on ..... I got a good dose of the common cold on Saturday and combined with returning to work this week am totally amazed how much energy has been taken away ... I get home and crash .... I look at others with all the energy and wonder if there is something wrong ..... No ... Just my energy levels were higher than many pre-op and I have set higher expectations ..... I have let that go!!!!!
    Feel better soon
    Hi Jen
    If you are looking at my weight as I had surgery very similar time please dont compare I have actually not lost for 2 weeks so weight loss is including my preopdiet so i am down 9kg in the first week and that stopped. I will be comparing myself to you next as I am one of those people. I hope somthing moves soon for you. Only suggestion is that maybe stop the walking as your body is thinking it is in a famine and it may be that the walking is burning those extra calories you need to stop that from happening.
    I have walked 3 times in 3 weeks not much but just so I dont forget!!
    I have a really interesting book on famine reaction called the Dont go hungry diet. buy an Australian author website dramandaonline.com.au check it out.
    I know that we are really eating like famine and we carnt do anything about that but it helps me understand what is happening.
    I hope this rave links with what this post is about.
    Just a thought. I am trying not to obsess about scales but I know if they dont move next week I will be writing same post as above!!
    KR
    My nurse said dont worry about walking until 4 weeks do a little but just gentle and you will tire and you dont have a lot of food excess for burning off
    Concentrate on the percentage of weight that you lost. I was also sleeved on the 10th and even though I have not lost anything in the last 12 days I have dropped a total of 28% of my excess weight already. This makes me very very happy. I would rather lose it slowly so that I have more time for my skin to adjust. I am almost 48 so we are close in age also. I have been morbidly obese for over 30 years so I am prepared for it to take a year or two to get it off. Stay true to the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by SethP
    Concentrate on the percentage of weight that you lost. I was also sleeved on the 10th and even though I have not lost anything in the last 12 days I have dropped a total of 28% of my excess weight already. This makes me very very happy. I would rather lose it slowly so that I have more time for my skin to adjust. I am almost 48 so we are close in age also. I have been morbidly obese for over 30 years so I am prepared for it to take a year or two to get it off. Stay true to the course.
    Thanks Seth, for the voice of calm and reason. Feeling less anxious now and buoyed that you're also in the same boat. Things will turn around for us both shortly, I'm sure.
    Very understandable, its hard not to compare. Some people scoff at it, but it really is hard not to do it.

I like your action plan, and think you should stick with it-

Keep your head up-
    So sorry you're having such a rough day. It is hard not to compare yourself but we are all individuals and our bodies are different. I agree with the other posto- focus on your loss thus far be proud of yourself for making the decision to be healthier and remember as with all good things in life the time and patience it takes to get there will be worth the victory
    I was sleeved on the 5/9 and I've only lost 13 lbs. I lost 7 lbs. of that during my stay at the hospital (before Day 4), then nothing for 2 weeks. I am just now starting to lose again.

I guess, my point is that our bodies will do what it wants. It's our job to keep up with our plans (diet, exercise, vitamins, etc.), but the rest shouldn't be worried about. It WILL happen. It just might not happen at lightning speed like for some others.

We WILL get there!!