Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Truebody

My first dinner that wasn't served in a glass.

Rate this Entry
Mexican food is not as big in Australia as it is in the states - we don't have many Mexicans here obviously. We do however get the odd authentic can in the supermarket and I found Amy's Organic Re-fried Beans in the aisle that does imported products - the posh stuff.

So to celebrate my first day at work and remembering what Luke had for his first dinner, I took the can home, whipped the lid off, got myself about half a cupful, mixed it with a little medium hot salsa and nuked it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and then added a spoonful of sour cream to the top and hey presto my first dinner that required cutlery and not able to be served in a glass.

Bloody delicious!! I have enough for about three more meals, so I will take some to work for lunch. So nice to be away from sweeter foods and milk based for a change.

I'm eating....well kinda. Oh, and the other thing I love - small chunks of roasted pumpkin. They are nice and squishy, good fibre and again you don't drink them.

Submit "My first dinner that wasn't served in a glass." to Digg Submit "My first dinner that wasn't served in a glass." to del.icio.us Submit "My first dinner that wasn't served in a glass." to StumbleUpon Submit "My first dinner that wasn't served in a glass." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That sounds great Jen ..... Made note of the recipe but will add 1/8 cup grated cheese!!!!
    Hope your first day back at work went well.

Your post made me realize I have been eating out of measuring cups since surgery a week ago. I
    I need to change that. Will measure then transfer to some sort of "classier" crockery.
    Although I am not eating much, my husband and I will refocus our attention to meal time and return to the table, music, no TV, iPads or reading and enjoy each others company and our food.
    Beans beans the magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot!
    I think that must be everyone's first meal lol that's what I had add a little bit of cheese to the mix wella
    I still am on the puree version of my post-op meal plan. But I have to tell you that adding flavor, ie. the salsa, makes a lot of difference. I added to shees to just about everythingg and garlic powder for some reason. I made my family a freezer crockpot meal from a party I went to called Creamy Italian Chicken. It was frozen chicken breasts, cream cheese, cream of chicken soup and packet of Italian seasoning mix. After it cooked for about 6 hours on low I took out about 4 ounces of chicken, threw it in my processor and then added some of the "gravy" from the pot to puree. It was like nothing I'd ever had. It was mazing. I find every day another way to get my nutrients and still not have to chew anything. I'm super excited to chew again but each stage has had its own rewards. I'm going to try your recipe when I get to the chewing stage. I know it will be on my top list for weeks thereafter! Thanks!
    I can't wait! I'm still on full liquids. June 1 I get to start purees! Having major flavor fatigue over here.
    My too, still on full liquids for three more days. I am totally having Mexican for my first meal! I have been craving Mexican food for over a week now! LOL
    I have 4 cans of refried beans waiting for me! I'll doctor it up like you did!
    Ditto you guys. Went to the store just to get refried beans. 13 days post op, go to the doctor on Thursday. Who would have thought that I would be excited about getting fat free refried beans soon.
    I dislike beans...well except for green beans..haha

Glad you are progressing and doing so well

But I never had a doubt that you wouldn't
    Quote Originally Posted by Anissa Christine
    I dislike beans...well except for green beans..haha

Glad you are progressing and doing so well

But I never had a doubt that you wouldn't
    Thanks Anissa, but I cannot lie - it has been a juggling act sometimes. I now 'get' all those comments I ever read about finding the right balance. Easier said than done some days. Also, I now totally 'get' the wistful post about taking satisfying big bites and big gulps. It's not to for the purpose to overeat, but a satisfying big chomp and large slurp is a thing of the past - and there lies the nub of my problems with food. A satisfying chomp doesn't replace a happy life..... My love affair with homemade burgers is also a thing of the past. Frankly, I prefer my future than my past.
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklyn_mom
    I can't wait! I'm still on full liquids. June 1 I get to start purees! Having major flavor fatigue over here.
    Yeah well take it slowly. Teeny tiny bites to get you started and you will soon know how well your body takes it.

My love affair with eggs is over for the moment. I used to be a dab hand at scrambled eggs, loved them - tried them on Sunday for lunch and for 5 hours I felt so awful. Nausea, queasy and very very uncomofrtable - and that was with 3 bites of sloppy scrambled eggs. Bloody awful.

Take it very very easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truebody
    Yeah well take it slowly. Teeny tiny bites to get you started and you will soon know how well your body takes it.

My love affair with eggs is over for the moment. I used to be a dab hand at scrambled eggs, loved them - tried them on Sunday for lunch and for 5 hours I felt so awful. Nausea, queasy and very very uncomofrtable - and that was with 3 bites of sloppy scrambled eggs. Bloody awful.

Take it very very easy.
    Oh man, sounds so horrid with the eggs! I was thinking that might be my first pureed food to try. My nutritionist said it would be fine to try scrambled eggs.Maybe my first food will be refried beans too!