Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

krissyfor

My Sleeve Journey....hopefully this will inspire those who aren't sleeved or are recently sleeved!

Rate this Entry
When I decided I wanted to have weight loss surgery in March of 2012, I knew there were going to be challenges. My first challenge was the grueling 6 month weight loss trial that my insurance company required. Once a month for 6 whole months, I had to see my primary doctor and discuss what I was or wasn't doing to help my diabetes, borderline high blood pressure and cholesterol. Well, the first thing my primary doctor did was put me on a hunger control medication called Phentermine. Right off the bat, it worked. I dropped 20 lbs during my trial, which only wound up being 5 months because the month before (February) I saw my doctor and we discussed my options for surgery and reviewed my medications, and the insurance company accepted that as month 1 of my trial.
So, after my trial things moved super fast. Before I knew it, it was the weekend before my surgery and I knew I was never going to be able to eat my favorite foods ever again. I binged big time, I ate pizza and cheesecake and ice cream and whatever else I could get my hands on. I had only one day of liquids before my surgery, and that one day was a killer. I had bad headaches and I was generally in a really bad mood. Finally, the day of my surgery came. August 28, 2012. The day that both saved my life and prolonged it at the same time. I was my surgeon's first patient of the day, myself and my family had to be at the hospital at 5:15 am. I can remember being so scared, but anxious at the same time. My husband kissed me goodbye as I was wheeled down the hallway to the OR.
The next thing I remember was waking up in recovery, and not being able to breathe deeply which scared me and evidently it scared my nurse because she told me I had already been in recovery for an hour and a half....they don't usually keep a patient in recovery that long she said. I couldn't get my oxygen level to 100%, it kept dropping off at 90% and that wasn't good. Finally, I mustered up my strength and sucked in a good deep breath even though it hurt. With that breath, I was allowed out of recovery and into a hospital room where my friends and family were waiting to see me.
I was discharged that afternoon at 1:15 pm, and when I arrived home the first thing I wanted was something to eat....hahaha. I guess that's my inner "big girl" that won't go away. Anyway, I sipped on broth and water the rest of the day until that evening. I combined the Any Whey unflavored protein powder with my broth to ensure I got my proper amount of protein in for the day. I dropped 4 lbs in my first couple of days home, and it was wonderful. I spent my entire life trying to lose a couple pounds a month and was never successful. I dropped 25 lbs my first month, to the amazement of my surgeon. I also had my first menstrual cycle in over 10 years, it started on September 28, exactly one month after my surgery.
Since my surgery, I have lost an astonishing 56 lbs! There are others who have lost way more than me, but I keep chugging along....one pound at a time. I hope that my journey can inspire someone who is considering weight loss surgery, or has had the surgery and lost control of their tools....you can do this. If I can do it, anyone can. I know that's a cliche', but in this instance: it's true, believe me. I love food. I struggle every day because I want to eat the things I used to. And sometimes, I fall off the wagon. I eat cookie dough ice cream, pizza, and yes I even drink the occasional diet soda. I'm not perfect by any means, I'm human and I make mistakes. But I realize what's important and I always get right back on track.

Submit "My Sleeve Journey....hopefully this will inspire those who aren't sleeved or are recently sleeved!" to Digg Submit "My Sleeve Journey....hopefully this will inspire those who aren't sleeved or are recently sleeved!" to del.icio.us Submit "My Sleeve Journey....hopefully this will inspire those who aren't sleeved or are recently sleeved!" to StumbleUpon Submit "My Sleeve Journey....hopefully this will inspire those who aren't sleeved or are recently sleeved!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thanks so much for sharing. So helpful to see what someone else has been through - and they live to tell about it! And HUGE congrats on your success. That's amazing!
    My surgery's Thursday so it really was inspiring. Thank you!!
    Ty that was informative hope the rest comes off just as fast
    thanks I am a little disappointed that mine is going so slow at this time. only 23 lbs in 7 weeks I think it is now
    Thanks for sharing I also have to do a 6 month program
    Thank you for sharing this with us.... I am in the begining process and this helps keeps my focus on how this journey and the struggles are well worth it ...Thank you !!!!
    Thanks ladies for your lovely comments. I am so glad I can be an inspiration, even when I feel like I'm not worthy. I'm human, and I make mistakes. I slip up a lot, and I eat things I shouldn't. But, in the end, what matters most is how the sleeve makes you feel inside. I feel so much healthier and more vibrant, I can do things I was never able to do before. I can actually jog now, without feeling like I'm going to die. I actually jogged for 3 sets of 3 whole minutes the other day. I can recall a time where I couldn't jog for a minute without wanting to collapse. I am amazed at what my body can do.
    Don't be disappointed! I lost almost 30 lbs within my first two months, and since then my weight loss has been off and on. I have lost a total of 57 lbs now since surgery....and I'm 8 months out. I know girls who have been sleeved after me who have lost double the amount of weight I have, and that's so discouraging. I think what I did was mistook my sleeve for a "cure-all" instead of the weight loss "tool" that it is. I'm concentrating on refocusing my life around healthy eating and exercising....and I know the weight will come off eventually. It may not be within that magical first year where you lose weight easily, but eventually I am sure I will reach my goal.
    Thanks for the inspiration. You've done a good job. I was sleeved on 4/22 so I need all the inspiration I can get. You will reach your goal!!
    I read an article the other day that said that if your Vitamin D levels were low you would experience low weight loss. Might be something to check into. The body also does best when it is fully hydrated so make sure to keep sipping that water.