Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Conversation Between janetm and bnk1cs

Leave Comment

4 Visitor Messages

1. Something else worth considering - Turmeric (that bright orangey/yellow Indian spice that is part of the curry blend) also known as curcumin. It has been shown in a study to reduce inflammation associated with osteoarthritis (which is why we liked using NSAIDs). It is relatively safe but there are a few things to watch out for:

Gallbladder problems: Turmeric can make gallbladder problems worse. Don’t use turmeric if you have gallstones or a bile duct obstruction.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): Turmeric can cause stomach upset in some people. It might make stomach problems such as GERD worse. Don’t take turmeric if it worsens symptoms of GERD.

Surgery: Turmeric might slow blood clotting. It might cause extra bleeding during and after surgery. Stop using turmeric at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

If you google it you will see many options for purchasing turmeric (or curcumin) supplements. Check out webmd online for more information:
    turmeric: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

Also good to talk to your doctor first.

Warm Regards,
    Janet
  2. Yes thank you so much.
  3. Hi,

Yes - losing the ability to take NSAIDs was difficult. I was prescribed Tramadol Hydrochloride 50 mg. however I don't take them on a regular basis and when I do take them it's usually in the evening after a busy day when my arthritis is flaring. I've found a big difference in my daily pain level - the weightloss has really made the difference. I often just take tylenol for pain relief and that seems to do the trick. Hope this is helpful - good luck!

Janet
  4. Hi janet,

I was reading in one of your earlier posts that you have arthritis. I was wondering if the nurse practioner was able to perscribe you something other than nsaids? If so can you tell me what it was or still is and has it helped?
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4