Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

No this gal has never fought her weight ever in all the 55 years I've known her. I talked it over with another friend of ours that we all grew up together and she did the same thing to me ONCE and after I went off on her she never did it again.. she "got it" ... Oh well only time I see this other gal is when I go back home for a visit so don't have to deal with her all the time at least.
    Last week we went to my sister-in-law's, she doesn't know I had WLS but she knows I am " trying to lose weight (again!). I put on my plate what I planned to eat. She said that I sure wasn't eating much. Then another time she said your diet is more like a starvation than a normal diet. I didn't say a word, I just smiled sweetly and ate my " starvation-type" diet. You gotta know my SIL. I love her, but she would worry warts off a frog. Sheesh! Why do we have to put up with this stuff from skinny people?!
    Could it be jealousy? My mom was tiny her whole life and never did I or anyone comment on how little she ate. But she was never large so people just accepted it. I was always jealous that she would be full on one pancake.

With friends like that...maybe you don't need them.
    Gahhhhhhhh, don't be making arrangements with her again then eh!! Maybe she is a little jealous :-)
    Gah, don't I know this all too well! It's super annoying.
    Hmm it's a funny one isn't it. You are right, no one (I hope!) would say that someone was too fat or eating too much but some people feel that they can comment when someone has lost weight. A lot of people have commented on my weight loss but no-one would comment when I put on weight. I of course take it as a compliment - why wouldn't I?! However I have had a couple of people say that I am "fading away" and there will be "left of me". While I have lost a heap there is still room for a little more and I am only "just" in the normal range of the BMI.
    I haven't had anyone comment on the amount that I eat - mostly because I eat out with people that know that I have been sleeved..... and they are really accommodation suggesting places that have shared plates or tapas. Generally I find that people don't take too much interest of what I am eating. I guess it is different if there are just 2 couples. If they can't take your statement that you are fine with what you are ordering and move on then I imagine that you will probably not go out to dinner with these people again.
    I didn't tell a lot of people that I was being sleeved (and there are still some who I will never tell) but now when people ask what I have done to loose so much weight I tell them - and really don't give a toss about what they think. Having said that most are supportive and interested.
    It is definitely not ok for people to make any comments of that kind, the former or the latter.
    I can imagine you were p*ssed.
    Some people are like that, they are either jealous or genuine concerned, but it would spoil my fun too.
    And for the record: I think you look great!
    I will be happy to look like that 3 years from now!
    Quote Originally Posted by MBL
    Now you had me curious so I looked it up as well! WOW I can certainly see why he would want to use her as a case example/advertisement! Some pretty amazing work there!
    Yeah he is a great surgeon no doubt. I was really surprised that he did this and she's not even a year out from the surgery. I waited 2.5 years and I always read that the weight should be stable for at least a year before plastics are done meaning that 1 year to lose it and then another to stabilize. Just kind of surprised that the plastics were done that soon. Oh well. I still think it's a disservice to people that aren't considering WLS and trying to lose on their own and see her story and then get discouraged. I've always mentioned it up front - from the start and still do at 3.5 years afterwards
    Quote Originally Posted by MBL
    So it sounds like your issue is that you think she should LEAD with that info and then she would not get more attention than...say...other people who have had surgery and been interviewed. Why should you get to decide when she mentions it? If she mentioned it at all then she IS being honest.
    I couldn't care less about the "attention" she is getting - but yes I do feel it's deceptive to be the "self imposed" role model for weight loss and not bring it to the forefront. People all over the news articles that I read comment after comment from people saying "wow I am so bummed now - I have been trying to lose weight and am nowhere near this much loss and so I just give up" - thinking that she is doing it without any kind of surgery. As for the news edits - um sorry but I know at least the news anchors here in Phx personally and I know the level of their reporting and research so if she had mentioned it they wold have made it a focus.

Oh well guess some people just want people to think they did it all with diet and working out - so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Local TV edits the way they edit. The interviewee could have mentioned VSG at any point in the interview and it just wound up shown last in the edited version. In my experience with local TV news teams, they're not the brightest bulbs on the string, and their editorial agenda is whatever the hell their editorial agenda is.

EDIT: I googled her and in places where she controls her own content (e.g., Facebook page) she's quite transparent about having had sleeve surgery. At one point she complains that some media reports aren't including that information in their stories about her. The media about her plastics surgery seems to be controlled by a PR company that (probably) has been hired by the plastic surgeon who (understandably) wants the focus on his work, not the gastric sleeve surgeon's work. BTW, her before plastics photos and after photos are just shockingly impressive. Boy, oh boy, did her plastic surgeon do a good job.
    Now you had me curious so I looked it up as well! WOW I can certainly see why he would want to use her as a case example/advertisement! Some pretty amazing work there!
    Local TV edits the way they edit. The interviewee could have mentioned VSG at any point in the interview and it just wound up shown last in the edited version. In my experience with local TV news teams, they're not the brightest bulbs on the string, and their editorial agenda is whatever the hell their editorial agenda is.

EDIT: I googled her and in places where she controls her own content (e.g., Facebook page) she's quite transparent about having had sleeve surgery. At one point she complains that some media reports aren't including that information in their stories about her. The media about her plastics surgery seems to be controlled by a PR company that (probably) has been hired by the plastic surgeon who (understandably) wants the focus on his work, not the gastric sleeve surgeon's work. BTW, her before plastics photos and after photos are just shockingly impressive. Boy, oh boy, did her plastic surgeon do a good job.
    So it sounds like your issue is that you think she should LEAD with that info and then she would not get more attention than...say...other people who have had surgery and been interviewed. Why should you get to decide when she mentions it? If she mentioned it at all then she IS being honest.
    Yes Pay she did have the surgery and Patterson NO she is not being forthright - trust me I watched her local news interview last nite and I know the newscasters personally. They ask and ask and ask some more when interviewing people; I know because they have done numerous stories with me and they always ask what I want said. She mentioned it last nite for a nanosecond at the end of the newscast. She could have brought it up before they started praising her for loss with diet and working out and out it to the forefront.
    I live in NZ so I looked her up. I found this as part of her posts.... Since making the decision in August last year to change her lifestyle, she has lost 85 kilograms through a combination of lifestyle changes, gastric sleeve stomach surgery and sheer hard work.
    She is being honest, obviously the media have been selective about how she has lost the weight. Just shows you cannot control what is picked up by the media.
    Are you sure that she had surgery? When I was in my late twenties, I was able to lose 125 lbs in around 8 months without surgery. I did a medically supervised diet (HMR) of 6oo calories a day. Of course, the article says that "To lose the weight, Anderson changed her takeout- and fast food-heavy to one with whole foods like meat, nuts, vegetables and fruit.". I think it would take a more drastic change than that to lose that fast.

She says that she wants to share everything but she's not telling anyone how she lost the weight. At least, she's not in that article.
    lol "BITE ME" is my favorite saying. Or the go F yourself works for me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damasyn
    Hahaha Joe Poppa ! Thats the kind of stuff I like to say. They think they are being smart, usually something like a cancer remark makes them think OH SHIT.
    Saying "Go "F" Yourself, you ....(fill in the curse words of your choice)" might get them angry, but will probably roll off them like water off a duck's back, if they are willing to say something unsolicited like that to a total stranger in public.

If there is an ounce of compassion in that woman, she will probably think twice before she ever makes a remark like that again to a total stranger if she thought she insulted someone who was very sick, especially in front of her children.

It takes 40 muscles to frown.
    It takes 20 muscles to smile.
    And only 10 muscles to backhand someone who really deserves it.
    (Just kidding, I don't know how many muscles it takes.)
    Hahaha Joe Poppa ! Thats the kind of stuff I like to say. They think they are being smart, usually something like a cancer remark makes them think OH SHIT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeybell
    I just came back from 5 days at Disney..... every time I saw a large person with a turkey leg and/or cotton candy,,,, I was just so thankful that the sleeve is an option for me.
    I would think that a small part of a turkey leg would be OK
    True! Some people think nice=pushover. Not so.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    I agree, let's be nice. I can't believe that happened to you. I do look at heavy people differently now, though I would never say anything. I'm a teacher and have so many obese middle school students it just breaks my heart. What future does a 250 pound 11 year old girl have to look forward to?
    I'll be as nice as someone is to me. Keep their mouths shut and we'll be fine... open it and say something shitty? Wellllll trust me I have had lots of experience being shitty right back. lol I worked in a bar for many many years and had my fill of rude assholes; male and female. Everyone that knows me always marvels at how I can think of a comeback in two seconds. No need to go out of one's way to be insulting for any reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_lisa
    I think what you eat is a personal decision and nobodys business, agreed?
    HUH? I didn't say shit about what she was eating. But I also didn't need to have someone skinny or fat to tell ME to eat cause i look like shit. Which I don't. Yep it's her business if she wants to eat like a pig and in turn look like one.... have at it .... but leave me the hell alone.
    Yeah, I love that you had a quick comeback for her. People are interesting creatures and we all have a little hypocrite in us. It's not fair that they found it acceptable for her to call you out for being thin, but not the other way around.

But you walked outta there and probably jumped on your bike (I hope you were on your bike or some other sexy ride), and she got her fat a$$ in her minivan with her fat kids in tow. Happiness is the best revenge. Who do you think is happier?
    Whatever. U look great! If you're happy, then that's the end of the conversation.
    Back when I was skinny (I was overweight , lost weight, got overweight again and lost weight again, then gained it and here I am) a male friend of mine said I was looking like a skeleton and, I quote "dont even have boobs anymore" I am 5'7" I was 127 pounds. That same time my best friend who was home on leave from the AF told me I "looked hungry"
    and there I was thinking I could stand to loose a few. It pissed me off then and they were my friends, for some stranger to say that?! If she was alone she'd have got. My opinion.....but she was with her kids....nice way to teach your kids how to act and make looking healthy a bad thing.
    While that person was, without a doubt a rude be-otch, step back for a moment. Remember when you were fat and that same thought crossed your mind when you saw a "skinny bitch"? The difference is, you had the manners and common sense not to say it out loud.

Look at it as an opportunity to share your success with someone. Smile and say, "thank you, but I've had my fair share of being a "fat bitch" too. I have struggled with obesity for years, and finally admitted that I needed help. I would be glad to share my success with you, if you like."
    In my heavy days, you would never have caught me saying anything like that to a thin person. I would be standing there wishing I WERE the thin person! But this new phrase they're using now "give that lady a cheeseburger" is so worn out and silly....
    I can't wait to be skinny shamed! Lol!
    You leave me alone, I leave you alone and it doesn't get any simpler than that! Never feel sorry for a troublemaker! You always know what and why you do someting before you do it .... No excuses!
    I agree, let's be nice. I can't believe that happened to you. I do look at heavy people differently now, though I would never say anything. I'm a teacher and have so many obese middle school students it just breaks my heart. What future does a 250 pound 11 year old girl have to look forward to?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast