Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

I totally agree with Stacey, If you don't like the gym, find something you do like. If you haven't been exercising at all, walking is the perfect place to start. Start slow and work up your distance over time. All you need is a pair of good shoes. (And layers if it's cold where you live).

A lot of large people look at exercise as a four letter word. It's not; once you get into it it's fun and addictive! I love anything outside, especially hiking, biking, and now it's ski season, so excited!! Just returned from a 2 week hiking trip around Sicily. Yesterday we signed up for a weekend to learn how to Nordic (skate) ski. I've never done that (looks difficult), but we are going to combine it with some downhill first.

My gym is outdoors. It is good for my mind and body.
    Haha sounds like you're doing great! The trick with exercise is to find something you like. if you don't like the gym don't go! if you like to dance try salsa, or Zumba. or if you like to walk go hiking or ride a bicycle. or play tennis or anything just to get you moving. I do a lot of gym and running but I might switch it up at some point for some salsa and yoga because I like the costumes lol! Just do something each day and don't make a grand plan... baby steps. This totally works when getting into fitness, I've done the study ;-)
    And take your vitamins, set an alarm, look after yourself. you really are the most important person right now. Much congrats :-)
    I totally understand what your saying. I am 5 weeks out of surgery and I too am missing food. I really love food and it has always been there for me to make me feel better. For me this surgery is like a break up with something that I love but that I know was also hurting me. What I’ve taken away from reading the posts of the veteran sleevers on this site is that I have to change my relationship w food. I think this is something that will take time and practice. For me I t is much easier to do this post op while at home and in control as it’s not so overwhelming however I just traveled for the first time since surgery yesterday (unavoidable) and was hanging out at a hotel across from the airport bc I had such a long wait. Not being able to go sit at their restaurant and have a nice long lunch was so difficult. Not buying any snacks for the plane or accepting the snacks they give you on the plane was hard. I brought 2 stringcheeses and a piece of Melba toast to eat on the plane as my dinner. I got through it but it wasn’t easy and I did feel sorry for myself. However I am attempting to break a life time of habits and I know it will take time to develop new ones and then begin to reinforce those. So give it time and I will too, it’s a process.
    FWIW, Airports are the worst for dieting, so going through one 4 days after surgery has to be a fresh hell to get through. Agree with the others, protein Shakes and higher protein foods are your friend. As you get acclimated to your stomach it does get easier. You'll find what you can eat is far less volume wise than before. Protein crowds out junk food, and eating is a more deliberative act than before. Just hang in there for the first few weeks and it gets much easier.
    I have to agree with Christie, it will get easier if you concentrate on protein first. It's also a good time to think about cleaning up everyones diet in your house, though that is a hard one and has to be gradual to prevent anyone cracking the shits!!! You will be okay if you keep your eye on your weaknesses. We all have them. Hugs :-)
    In the beginning smells made me want foods but the reality was it was all mental. I can tell you that when you start eating foods if you focus on eating your protein first...you really, really have no room for much else. If you make that priority one you will be just fine.
    Congrats, things will get better and better :-)
    Hang in there. It will get a little better each day. Before you know it, this will all be a distant memory.
    Hey! You did it! Congrats.. it gets better... walk as much as you can! it's going to help you!! take it easy sip sip sip sip.. small amounts. good luck!
    It will get better and better every day.
    Be kind to your self and follow your surgeons advice and you will be fine.
    Congratulations! I hope that you begin to feel better! Like Shannon stated, walk walk walk! It really does help! I was up walking about 3 hours after surgery. Don't rush the fluids, just sip sip sip! Again, congratulations!
    If I can offer one bit of advice (and I'm certain you have already hear it)...walk. And walk often. At least once an hour. You will be amazed at how great you will feel by doing so.

Congratulations on turning the page. You are now on the fast track to a new and improved you!
    hope you feel better soon.