Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

I have way surpassed what those stupid projected charts say I would have lost. I am almost 15 months out and weigh 108. Here is what the projections say for 2 years.

Below was the projection for my start weight of 207
    SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY
    •80% of patients reach at least 154 lbs 18 months after surgery.
    •50% of patients reach at least 140 lbs 18 months after surgery.
    •20% of patients reach 126 lbs 18 months after surgery.
    Gosh your nurse sounds like my nutritionist. I actually asked her once why she was doing her job if she had so little belief in the process. I just decided I'd prove her wrong. I read everything I could find, watched the videos, and have read the wisdom on this site. I know based on my age (64) that I may lose more slowly and it may take me longer to hit my goal, but I refuse to let someone tell me I can't be successful. I've beaten the odds in other parts of my life & plan to do so in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG
    Oh my. If you have access to YouTube, try watching Dr. Matthew Weiner -- his information will encourage you and education you in no time, and you will feel way betterr.

I agree with sraebaer. You've got this, and you need to give your doc feedback about the negativity. Realism is not the same.
    Thanks for this information, I have started watching his you tube videos and they are inspirational. this gives me hope and realization that it is possible to lose the wight and keep it off, and I plan to.
    Oh my. If you have access to YouTube, try watching Dr. Matthew Weiner -- his information will encourage you and education you in no time, and you will feel way betterr.

I agree with sraebaer. You've got this, and you need to give your doc feedback about the negativity. Realism is not the same.
    Wow, what a Debbie Downer. It sounds like her job description is to talk people out of surgery. How much you lose and how you maintain is totally up to you! I lost 100% of my weight and have kept it off for almost 4 years now. I intend to maintain the rest of my life.

I know they have to tell you statistics, but you are not a statistic, you are you. If you follow the program and change your lifestyle, you will lose all your weight, no problem. (Now if you decide to go back to eating crap, you could be part of the statistics, but I know you won't do that).
    I decided not to tell anybody. I don't want to hear the negative comments and I want to be able to surprise people when they haven't seen me in a long while.
    Hey y'all I'm scheduled for surgery in June. I'm like Jen I've been at this for so long I told everybody. I've lost over a hundred pounds with just better eating and exercise and my diabetes is still hard to maintain so I know my struggle I plan on creating a YouTube channel and everything to share my journey. I am very excited and I know the struggles that I've had personally so I don't give a hoot about haters! They can kick rocks!!
    I'm the opposite and told everyone. I started my blog Down the Scale, to tell my story, but in turn I received an amazing amount of support.

But I told friends and family as I was pretty sure I would receive the support I needed. For me, it's been a big part of my journey. But if you feel you won't receive support I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping it private. You know you family and friends best.

Best wishes!
    Jen
    I don't tell. My business. Only my immediate family and a few very close friends know. I have told 2 people since but because I knew they were asking for themselves. They do not live here so it is not like they can blab to anyone. Honestly, when they ask how I lost the weight I say portion control, low carb, and exercise. Not a lie....just a little omission. I say with all the jerks out there...why subject yourself to that?
    Thanks for all the answers, it has helped me.
    I told my family and a few close friends. They have been supportive but I feel like they're now looking at me wondering why I haven't lost more. I won't tell anyone else. The fact is this surgery just makes it possible for you to eat carefully. You are still doing the "work" although it isn't as hard as it was. And you'll have to exercise. Now if anyone asks I tell them I eat smaller portions of high-protein foods and exercise. That's all true. The sleeve has just made it possible for me to do so without gnawing on my arm between meals or eating a huge portion.
    I didn't tell anyone but, my Mother told my best friends mother.. who told her entire family..

They greeted me at a family cookout with "WOW.. The SURGERY WORKS!!" . I wasn't ready for that. And wish I didn't even tell dear old mom.

If you are like me and can't handle that, keep it as close as you can. Best wishes!
    I'm over 4 years out and my advice is don't tell anyone except your immediate support group, be that a spouse, parent, whatever. Besides my immediate family I only told my 2 best friends and one of them blabbed. Imagine my surprise at a dinner function when someone I hardly knew started asking about my surgery. Then I started to hear, "I know such-and-such who had weight loss surgery and gained back every pound." I was positive my whole journey, and had no room for someone's negativity. By the way, I lost my weight and haven't regained a pound.

Now after 4 years I really don't care, but in the beginning it was hurtful.
    I have lost 99 lbs which is 45 KG. I am only 4'11". I run and strength train. I am 44 years old. (43 at time of surgery) and have very little loose skin. It was more in the beginning but with time and regular exercise ahs improved greatly. Don't think I need any skin removal surgery at all. New boobs though. LOL.
    Congrats Elllie on your decision to get sleeved. You will be so amazed at how much better life is when you can comfortably exercise. I am loving my new healthy, active lifestyle. I have always been active but being active in a slim body is so much more fun. I feel amazing. I know you will too!
    That all depends on age, gender, genetics, elasticity of the skin and more.
    So, there is no way of predicting.
    But IMHO you can exercise all you want, but there are no muscles in skin.
    My advice would be: first loose your excess weight.
    Then take it from there.
    Hi Elllie, swimming is great isn't it? I just don't like getting changed afterwards, i whinge about that! Yay for your upcoming surgery, that is so exciting. Staying positive is a great plan and the odd wail is also fine!! Lots of support here for you :-)
    First of all, the liquid phase is not hard since you really won't want anything post op. You will breeze through it. I still cooked with no issues and my husband helped out with that as well. It is really not too hard. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. My one regret was waiting so long to take the plunge.
    I wish i would have had it done 12 years ago, thats 12 years i cant get back. I am very happy i had it done and would do it over and over and over again.

Also, i bought me some um smaller child like plates or salad plate except mine have dividers. So i can be sure i am getting a good bit of different food that i like and need but i dont have to worry about over filling my plate with food i wont eat. My daughter is still telling me sometimes mom you know you wont eat that much.
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The more I read on this forum and the more positive responses I get the more motivated I am. However I am still stressed over the first few weeks and just having liquids,especially since I really don't like the protein shakes and the fact I have to cook meals for the family. How has everyone managed to get through this stage?
    I am happy with my decision and I can tell you as drastic as it may seem, knowing what to do and doing it is the chasm that, in my 58 years has been impossible. For the first time in my life I am not thinking about food, overeating food, feeling guilty. I eat under normal, but I also leave food on my plate like normal people and have a cue that tells me I've had too much. In the long term, I think most of your questions will be a non-issue. You can have everything you want - you just won't be able to have much of it. Good luck in whatever decision you make.
    Ever again is a long time - but in response to your concerns - I am a vegetarian so I can't speak to the steak part - that seemed repulsive before surgery HAHA - but I have been able to eat fruit, veg and popcorn - in fact there is a giant tin of popcorn to the left of my keyboard! I certainly don't care to - or want to eat very much. I have been consistently losing weight since I had the surgery five months ago so I can't speak to the regaining part yet - but how I look at it, you are given a long reprieve - from what I understand anywhere between 6 and 18 months to get your food priorities and behavior changes in order - that's a huge reprieve. I feel blessed that none of the old junk calls to me anymore and even if it did - my stomach wouldn't necessarily find the old stuff as palatable nor would it have much room for more than a couple of bites. If you read enough of the posts here in the forum, you will see a lot of good examples of people losing plenty of weight and not gaining it back. Good luck in your decision, whatever it might be.
    I'm in the early months post-op and I am still learning what makes my new little tummy happy and what does not. There are some things that I loved pre-op that don't sit well with me now but so far it's anything with sugar or dairy. Some people (I seem to be one of them) become lactose intolerant post surgery. I can't yet handle raw vegetables or meats with high fat content yet but I don't think this is a long term. One thing I'm already learning is that you can "eat around" your sleeve. I'm sure that could easily lead to weight gain so I'm working to get some good habits established.
    What Christie13 and sraebaer seems to be very true for most people on the site. I'm only 3 months out, and not ready to try popcorn, but have head steak (2 oz serving(s)). I've had a few peeled pieces of apple (with stevia & cinnamon), and salad. But am careful about sugar in fruit, so not quite there either.

Be of good cheer! I kinda figure I've had all kinds of food most of my life, and it wasn't my friend.
    Totally untrue! I eat steak, fruit, veggies and popcorn all the time. Last night I had a delicious fillet and lost a pound!

There is NOTHING you won't be able to eat. You will, however, want to change your lifestyle to eating healthy foods and cutting out the crap, like sugars and junk food.

Right after surgery of course there are things you won't be able to eat while your tummy heals. I was 2 weeks of protein shakes, one week of mushy foods, and then they added foods each week until I was cleared for everything at 6 weeks.
    Hahahaha. Sorry. I just had to laugh. I am over a year out and I can eat anything I want. Obviously the sleeve is a tool and you have to eat healthy to maintain your weight loss but yes, you can eat anything. In the beginning, you have to follow the phases of liquids, to pureed/soft, to solids. And in the beginning you will focus on protein and fluids. And later it will be solid proteins, veggies, and fluids. (As you add back your foods, some people have issues with certain foods temporarily. I never did.) Then you slowly add back carbs as you get close to goal or hit goal. Eventually you will be able to eat everything.
    But steak is something that we thrive on in the early months once we start eating solid proteins. Raw veggies is something that is a bit farther out like 3-4 months. And fruits is usually limited by most nutritionists until we are near or at goal due to the natural sugars.
    i have the same concerns, but I finally made up my mind that i can either live life in pain and discomfort or I can so something about it. From all my research, the pro's of the surgery far outweigh the con's (except the whole "worse possible outcome" part - but that is SO rare).
    Good luck w/your decision.
    I'm only a month out, so I can't answer all of your questions. I will say, though, that I had many of the same concerns. To be quite honest, the first week after surgery is really rough. All I wanted was to eat regular food. Once that passes, though, you'll be much more concerned with getting enough liquid, protein, and nutrients. You won't be thinking about the things you're "missing out on" because you'll have plenty else to think about. Honestly, it's hard, harder than I expected, but it's so, so worth it.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345