Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

I use the vitamin patches from PatchMD.com Just stick them on like a bandaid and the vitamins absorb directly without swallowing them. I didn't think they would work, but I tried them since I have trouble taking pills, gummys, or chews, but I do notice a difference in energy on days I wear them vs. days I don't.
    Be sure your Calcium is Calcium Citrate, at least that's what my nut says. It's a little more difficult to find in chewable, I used the Building Blocks chewable early on, now I just get the tablets at Walmart.

Here's what I take at 4 years out:

1. Calcium Citrate
    2. Bariatric Multi Vitamin (When nut heard I had switched to over-the-counter she freaked! Said no iron.) I take ProCareHealth, used to use the chewable, now their capsules.
    3. Vitamin D
    I know what you mean about the multi vitamin making you sick. The pills would give me fierce indigestion afterwards. Vitamins are essential, though. Have you tried taking the multi vitamin at night?
    Thank you both. I think I'm going to go back to my vitamin D capsules. I'll continue the B12 nasal spray and iron tablets. I'll try your suggestions for the calcium and other vitamins.
    Yeah, don't do that. Take all your vitamins. Seriously. You really, really need to take those for the rest of your life.

Keep experimenting with your sources until you find ones you can tolerate.

FYI, I get my calcium and D in my multivitamin (Centrum for women) and a chewable chocolate candy, which is delicious. Here's a link ...

https://www.caltrate.com/calcium-sup...0D3-soft-chews

Good luck!
    Don't stop your vitamins. Keep trying until you find one that agrees with you. My nutritionist recommends Flintstones Complete chewables. You take two a day for an adult dose.
    I am not understanding why there are two different doctors giving you two sets of differing instructions. It makes no sense! The bariatric doctor and the surgeon are not on the same team? (apparently not). At any rate, as others have said, as hard as it is, get rid of the scale. Your weight is going to fluctuate like crazy for awhile. Follow the nutritional guidelines set forth by your nutritionist. Everyone has given you great suggestions in this thread.
    I agree with a couple of the others, don't weigh yourself on any scale that isn't yours or the doctor's. They might not be the same. Also, once you eat your meal, the next thing you put in your mouth is water (or the like). Avoid the crackers, you need the protein. My nut said if you are eating for over 45 minutes, you are now grazing, which is a big no-no. Our old ways are hard to get out of our head, give yourself time to readjust your thinking. Follow the rules strictly: Water, protein first then if there's room vegetables
    I wouldn't stress over the numbers! You seem to be doing fine. I also had a list from my Nut about when and what I could eat. I did clear liquids for 4 days post surgery and then full liquids for a few weeks. Then it was a slow introduction to food again. I always (still do) concentrate on getting protein first and then the others.... The others includes veggies! I try to stay away from carbs (but it is hard). I think I've been very successful so far.

Find something that works for you and stick to it. You'll lose weight like crazy the first 4 months or so (at least I did)!
    I had a huge handout from my nutritionist telling me exactly what I could eat at what stages. Sounds like something like that would make you more comfortable. Someone posted the exact one I used here, but I don't have it anymore. Basically it was liquids only (protein shakes, etc) for the first 2 weeks after surgery, soft foods at the 3rd week, and then things added the 4th and 5th week until cleared for all foods at 6 weeks. Always protein first, then veggies, then other stuff if you have room. (Which you probably won't.)
    If this is a issue for you (the misinformation) I am sure it is an issue with others as well. Why not just say, this is my concern __.. to both parties, and let them clarify. I wouldn't hold off on letting both know they are counter productive and confusing. Seems as though they need to get on the same page if they are going to work for the same practice. It's such an emotional roller coaster. I wish you the very best
    Nope. You are just fine. The truth is that every surgeon has different pre op requirements from no pre op surgery to 2 weeks of just clear liquids (which is the most torturous I have seen). Honestly, they all succeed no matter what the pre op was. As for which to follow, it is tricky having 2 different doctors. My one thought on reading what you have is to focus on those proteins. I think if you are having 2-3 crackers you may be filling up on them (which offer you no real nutrition) rather than the chicken salad. I would suggest only have the chicken salad at this phase. Your goals this early on should focus on protein and fluids. Eventually you can have those crackers after your protein and veggies. Often after my protein I couldn't even eat my veggies. It was quite a while before I had room for carbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    Like Sharon said, weight is not important right now. I also came back from the hospital with water retention and did gain a few pounds.
    But reading how you eat my only concern is about that cup of chili.
    My surgeon was really focused on the fact that I would respect meal times and not overeat. If you already had half a cup of chili, eating again 30 minutes later was not necessary. I was eating a max of half a cup per meal.
    30 minutes later it was time to drink, not eat again. Drinking enough fluid is important in the process. Good luck and take care.
    I agree. I thought about throwing the other half away and should have done that. I ate it because it was there....and old habit I need to break.
    Like Sharon said, weight is not important right now. I also came back from the hospital with water retention and did gain a few pounds.
    But reading how you eat my only concern is about that cup of chili.
    My surgeon was really focused on the fact that I would respect meal times and not overeat. If you already had half a cup of chili, eating again 30 minutes later was not necessary. I was eating a max of half a cup per meal.
    30 minutes later it was time to drink, not eat again. Drinking enough fluid is important in the process. Good luck and take care.
    Thank you. I needed to hear that.
    Sounds like you're doing fine. Please HIDE YOUR SCALE. You don't need it now, it just messes with your head. At the beginning many of us gain weight or don't lose, while eating practically nothing, and it drives us nuts. To keep from being driven nuts, just HIDE YOUR SCALE. Continue doing what you should be doing and you'll be fine. Promise.

I know this from experience. Now, almost 4 years later, I've maintained a healthy weigh for over 3 years. (But you can bet I was crying to my nutritionist at 2 weeks when I hadn't lost any weight!)
    Also, acid reflux can make you think you are having hunger pangs. A lot of people have to be on an antacid for the first few months post op. I did. Once that went away I was fine. I started soft/pureed foods at 10 days because I was so sick of liquids. It did not hinder my weight loss and I have succeeded my goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by missydiabetes
    I can relate to your feelings of hunger and not being overfull. I was scolded today at my 2 wk post-op appointment for having started pureed foods, i.e. soup and refried beans, after day 5 because my body was physically so hungry I thought I might lose my mind. All I can do is hang in there, but what you said about it feeling "too normal" is the exact feeling I've been having too.

Good luck!

Missy
    I waited a day longer than I wanted to start protein shakes and soups, but I'm tolerating them well. The soup is great because I've never been a big sweets eater and all the shakes, popsicles, jello, etc are sweet. I'll be glad to move on to pureed foods and things like hummus, but that will probably be another week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Rudewick
    Congrats!! You will learn what your new normal is. As for me I had no hunger. Really, as far out as a year, I still don't. A lot of people have what is called head hunger. It's not real. Just your head making you feel that way. You will learn to eat till your satisfied not full. Cause if you eat till your full, voice of experience here, you will be sick!! And it is painful. At least for me is was. I had almost no pain after surgery and was kind of like you in that I wondered if it was working for me. But it did and it will. Just like what yolymarie said. Everyone's normal is different.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm trying to sip very slowly so I don't overfill. When I start burping, that's normally when I stop. I don't want to throw up....definitely don't want to do that. lol
    Congrats!! Thanks for sharing!
    I can relate to your feelings of hunger and not being overfull. I was scolded today at my 2 wk post-op appointment for having started pureed foods, i.e. soup and refried beans, after day 5 because my body was physically so hungry I thought I might lose my mind. All I can do is hang in there, but what you said about it feeling "too normal" is the exact feeling I've been having too.

Good luck!

Missy
    Congrats!! You will learn what your new normal is. As for me I had no hunger. Really, as far out as a year, I still don't. A lot of people have what is called head hunger. It's not real. Just your head making you feel that way. You will learn to eat till your satisfied not full. Cause if you eat till your full, voice of experience here, you will be sick!! And it is painful. At least for me is was. I had almost no pain after surgery and was kind of like you in that I wondered if it was working for me. But it did and it will. Just like what yolymarie said. Everyone's normal is different.
    Congrats! Everyone is different so I do not think there is a "normal". Enjoy your recovery.
    You know what helped me? I found a gorgeous victorian skirt that I want to wear and I'd just stare at it. ;-) Also, I made a list of reasons why I was doing the surgery. In the end, being healthy and getting off medication and being around a long time to be with my family was worth it. You can do this!
    My surgery is on the 10th also! I'm nervous also but we can do this!! It was quite a process and a long road to get to this point. We needed and wanted this surgery for a reason. Lets stay positive and strong. We are going to do this and be so happy we did. Just a few more days! Good luck on your journey!
    What are you the most afraid of? I am not meaning to minimize your fear... but you have worked so hard to get where you are now. Are you afraid you can't do it? You can and initially your sleeve does most of the work. You just have to sip, sip, sip and follow your doctors orders. Are you afraid of regaining your life back? I promise you it is wonderful!!!! I could go on and on... because my life has totally changed and I am only 5 weeks out and 32 pounds down from my highest weight. You got this girl!!!!!!! (BIG HUGS) Chin up and push through to goal!!!!!!! xoxoxoxoxoxo
    Congratulations on getting this far! You are at the 2 yard line, punch it in for the score!! You won't regret it. I am 6 months post op, down 86 pounds and my only regret is not doing it 3 years ago! Best of luck with your journey.

Regards,

Tommy
    Congratulations on getting this far! You are at the 2 yard line, punch it in for the score!! You won't regret it. I am 6 months post op, down 86 pounds and my only regret is not doing it 3 years ago! Best of luck with your journey.

Regards,

Tommy
    I can't imagine there were many of us who weren't at all scared/worried/nervous before surgery. I know I was! Heck, it's an ELECTIVE surgery we are choosing. All I can tell you is it is the best thing I have done for myself in my life, and being a normal sized person is priceless. Best of luck to you!
    I know exactly what you are going through!! I just had my surgery 2 days ago and I was very scared and nervous about everything! I actually laid on the bed waiting to go into surgery thinking " what the heck am I doing?!" I finally decided that I would trust God to take care of me, trust my great doctor, trust my cyber friends here who told me it would all be OK and NOT a mistake, trust my family and their support. I kept thinking I didn't really need this surgery. Well, I do!! And so do you! Make a final decision that everything will be fine and repeat it out loud if you need to. I am already glad I did it! I wish you all the best! You really CAN do this! I'll be praying for you and will look for your posts afterwards. Be Brave! {{{HUGS}}} Mary
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast