Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

You are well on your way!!!!! Congrats
    You are cruising right along. So did you use your CPAP machine last night? How was it? Did you sleep better?
    Thanks all!! I'll check out all your recommendations-- I greatly appreciate it. The reality is that with 4 kids, I'll hopefully just end up drinking water (since our groceries are crazy anyhow). Thanks again!
    Children at that age are just honest. They are not trying to be mean...they just state what they see. It is no different to them then pointing out that someone has freckles or a blue shirt. Just observational. I worked with kids for many years and it is completely unintentional. They are not trying to be mean.
    I would look for a calorie free drink. I like the Lipton diet green tea mixed berry flavor. No calories or carbs. They also have diet iced tea with lemon or peach flavor. Post sleeve you do not want to drink your calories unless it is protein based such as milk or protein shakes.
    Rude little kid in my opinion and his parents obviously never taught him any better.
    I'd be careful with the acidity in this. I never drink lemonade or pop for those reasons.
    The sad reality is that we were kidding ourselves if we thought people didn't notice how big we were. They were just adults who knew better than to say anything. Kids just let it all out, they don't mean to be insulting at all, just stating facts. Later, when you've lost weight, you will find that all of sudden you are not invisible to people in stores, parks, beaches. They will be friendly, talk to you, help you with something, wait on you more readily. Maybe it's because we become more open to social situations, but I really believe I was always friendly; I think the perception of me to others has changed. I think this is also human nature. We look healthier, more normal-sized, so others want to engage. I see this a lot in the gym, just a friendly communication, where before pretty much left to myself. Weird.
    That is fantastic! Just goes to show, it is never hurts to ask!
    I used to work with preschoolers.....if you knew how many times I had to explain to them I didn't have a baby in my belly and I was just fat. It never stung any less. And here I am 6 months post op and love my sleeve and my new life. Good luck on your surgery!
    Sorry that hurt your feelings, but kids are kids, no filters. Sort of like at Safeway when my son was little and a African-American family with teenagers was checking out behind us and he said, "Look mom, the Cosbys!"

On the plus side if you are looking into sleeve surgery things will change for the better. Best of luck to you! Remember, we have all been where you are and understand. I think that's the cool thing about these boards, others have no clue what we have gone through being fat, but we have each other to relate to. And how amazing the transformation is! It's basically a dream come true, a dream I NEVER thought in a million years could possibly happen.
    I did my surgery through insurance. I was at a precarious position as well. I started at 41.8 BMI and could not gain weight or drop below 40 BMI pre approval. It was something I had to be careful of. I totally get the absurdity of this. Sigh. But I followed the rules and was approved for surgery. Good luck with your journey. You can do it!
    Go for it, you won't regret it! Unfortunately it's a biological fact that the human body will adjust itself when dieting, metabolic rates decrease and in turn weight loss becomes harder and harder.
    Ha! You sound like me over a year and half ago, now look at me 11-months post op today. Lol!

I started at 245lbs, I'm just over 5'6" and my BMI was under 40, 39.5 to be exact. I think because they put me at 5'7" height. I had just recently been diagnosed with Type2 Diabetes so that put me at a great advantage for surgery, but needed a second comorbidity which after the sleep apnea test cleared me. Because my insurance required 2 comorbitities for BMI 35-40, which I had I self imposed a food cleanse 3 months preop, and a gradual liquid diet 6-weeks preop.

I read that the lower in weight/bmi one is, the less risk in surgery and better recovery and that was more important to me. I lost 19lbs preop and I had zero complications, some minor discomforts and I am soooooooo glad I went through this even though I was like what no alcohol!?!

The truth of the matter, is that for me as a diabetic alcohol was a no no, but alcohol after surgery should be postponed for as long as you can. As the stomach is healing it develops a film on the incision to protect it and heal it, but I had read that alcohol can strip clean that film making a high risk for complications.

The stomach should be healed by three months, six months for sure and definitely by year one.

I had a sip of wine about 6 months post op, no adverse reaction. This past weekend I had a glass of wine I sipped slowly, and a sip of whiskey and felt a heartburn feeling. I'm just not willing to take any risks at this point. So maybe I will just do with out longer.

Should you go through the Sleeve Gastrectomy note that it is not ✨Magic Wand✨ That will make your weight magically disappear and keep it off, it takes intentional everyday lifelong work!