Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferc002
    Pam, believe me I would too but my nut says to minimize the protein shakes and since I am more comfortable drinking a shake while talking with patients than I am eating, I had to make some hard adjustments lol
    I'm not really sure to understand why some nut give that kind of advice. It took me more than three months to reach 60gr protein per day and I'm glad I had those shakes to help! Now, I make my shake and it's vegan protein powder (my nut would prefer whey but I can't digest whey) based, no artificial sweetener or chemicals. I'm one year out next week and glad to have those shakes to help me because there's still days where only food is not enough...
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa2
    My nut says protein bars better than protein shakes. I like taste better and they leave me feeling full.
    I was told exactly the contrary! so funny! but anyway I don't like the bars...make my own shake and it's fine..
    I couldn't give up my sleep. I would do a shake or bar as well. The bar can be nibbled on.
    I'm sorry I can't add to your posy because I am just 1 week post, but I sure am glad you did because all these "back to work" situations will be mine soon...
    Thanks!
    My nut says protein bars better than protein shakes. I like taste better and they leave me feeling full.
    Pam, believe me I would too but my nut says to minimize the protein shakes and since I am more comfortable drinking a shake while talking with patients than I am eating, I had to make some hard adjustments lol
    Addie, I was sleeved on 22 Dec and back at work on 9 Jan. It's been nice to get back to my 'normal' lol
    Jennifer,

How long did you take off from work? I am proud of you!!!

Addie
    3:30!!! I'd rather sleep later and drink a shake in the car on the way to work.
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I found an otc, generic acid reducer at Walgreens that began working right away. It's been easier to eat and drink since. I am doing well, not feeling so fatigued. I've also started keeping a food diary but yesterday I realized that I'm probably going to have to set an alarm to remember to eat cause yesterday I went about 5 hours between meals and I only ate because I knew I needed to. I'm trying hard to find new ways to get in my protein in. Last night my autistic, 11 yr son saw a box of sugar free pudding and he asked if he could make it for me. I added in 60g of protein to it and I'm waiting till snack time to have some. Anyone else have any ideas? Is it ok to drink a whole protein drink yet?
    ALL bariatric patients will get hydratation issues at some point. It took me almost three months to be able to drink enough and have enough protein, indeed I had to have protein shakes because with only food that was impossible.
    Just try your best to sip all day and don't forget to take your PPI, it does help to heal. Try to have your dinner at least two hours before bed time, that's important too.
    My surgeon give a PPI to all his patients post-op, a few are able to stop it at one month, for many they will have to take it for several months. I'm almost one year out and was able to go gradually from 30 mg to 15, and now I take it every two or three days. I hope to stop it at some point.
    That stinking acid reflux. It causes a plethora of issues for us sleevers. The good news is finding the right antacid can help immensely. What kind did you get?
    I know it seems harsh that your nutritionist was reading you the riot act. But she is coming at you from a place of concern. Because if we are not giving our bodies the proper fuel then we can get really sick. What are you currently able to eat/drink??
    I'm glad the reflux MEDS are helping! Carry on and I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Thanks janellak, I will try these things out.
    I did have the same problem but once I learned to take it even slower I was ok. If I were you I would stay away for eating foods that are completely dairy based. Either slowly incorporate dairy in or stay away for now. They can be pretty harsh on the system at first.
    Are you drinking vegetable or chicken broth? If so, you should try transitioning to soft foods with that as your base. Bring a small pot of stock to boil. Add some vegetables like carrots or potatoes. Cook all the way through and then blend it up. This will make it a little thicker of a soup. Then add a bit of dairy if you wish to make it creamier. As you feel better start leaving in chunks of cooked vegetables or adding in beans.
    I was supposed to start soft food at two weeks but waited one more week because my stomach was not ready.
    First 2 weeks I was told to stay on liquids only. I found that I tolerated broth and creamed soups made with skim milk the best. I could only eat/drink 2 mouthfuls at a time. Had to wait until I could tolerate it again. At 2 weeks I started real food and really had no issued other than the 2 bites and I was full. I still can't eat a whole lot and I am 8 weeks out. I do have to eat frequently to get my protein in. It will get better and easier with time. I can definitely drink more now. I still have to drink protein shakes to supplement my protein intake. If I don't get enough protein my weight loss stalls.
    Just wait a few days and try again. We all progress at varying speeds
    Everything Kindle said is spot on. You won't want it but your body needs it. It's going to get easier and easier. Congrats!
    Always always always have something in front of you to drink. At home, in your car, next to your bed, at work. Sip from the moment you wake up until the moment you fall asleep. Sip if you wake up in the middle of the night. Set a timer for every 10-15 min if you have to. Set mini goals throughout the day...16 oz before work, another 16 oz. before lunch, 16 oz in the afternoon, 16+ oz before going to bed. Find what liquids go down best...warm vs cold vs room temp. Make sure whatever you drink contains protein....protein water, protein shakes, unflavored protein added to broths and soups, drinkable yogurt, etc. if you feel full or gassy or bloated get up and walk around. This decompresses the pressure in your belly and helps move things through your GI tract.
    So Happy for you. Congratulations!
    Congrats Jennifer, we are here for you!!! I hope your surgery goes splendidly!
    My children are 17 & 19 they both knew the reason why I was doing this and I brought my dad with me for support. I face-timed them the night before the surgery and my father let them know that I made it through the surgery. It has been quite and adjustment for them and myself to see how much I cannot eat anymore.
    Yay!!! So excited for you!! Let us know how it goes!!!
    You'll be fine. I spent my pre-op at the lake with friends eating gourmet meals and drinking wine. I was putting my chocolate protein shake in the freezer to pretend it was a Wendy's frosty.

Now it's just a far away memory, and I am a regular-sized healthy person. Priceless. Missing one meal of lasagna is no biggie, in a while you will be able to eat a small portion and be totally satisfied.

You can do it! It's sort of like having a baby, you forget the hard parts and remember the amazing results!
    Congratulations.. Prayers for Success
    Congratulations!
    I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was so calm as I entered the hospital. Normally I would have a bit of a panic attack, but nothing. Even as I entered the operating room I was completely calm. I knew I was doing the right thing and it's paying off.
    I still have a long road to go, but it is so worth the rewards we gain from losing this weight.
    Let us know how you are doing later. I experienced very little pain. I hope your experience is the same.
    April
    Your will power is amazing! Keep it up, you're an inspiration to us all who struggle with this on a daily basis.
    WTG you are an inspiration!
    Good for you. It is an eye opener to see how much food I would have packed in, in the past. I'm glad I'm not that way anymore.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast