Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

My goal is to stay at 135 pounds. So far, so good. Boy, is this a lifelong learning deal.
    Thank you everyone! :-)

One of the reasons I love this community is that everyone seems able, 90% of the time, to express their thoughts and opinions soo articulately!

I wasn't sure how I felt about this video, which is why I posted it here. I thoroughly appreciate your feedback. All of you.

I agree with Kindle and Christie13 about the 5 lb buffer zone once I'm 'maintaining' my weight. I'm still losing right now, am just over halfway to my goal. Once I'm at that point though I'll definitely weigh every morning and nip any bad behaviors in the bud before they get out of control.
    I do not plan on gaining back. I know I have the ability to maintain my weight loss. I agree with Kindle...5 lb buffer and daily weigh ins. Not going back to the way I was before. My sister does the exact same thing. She is 5 1/2 years post sleeve and maintains her weight loss the same way.
    I have heard that most sleeve patients will regain 10% of the weight that they have lost. To me, that is and was a scarey thought. I have regained 5 lbs from my lowest weight and it is really bothering me. For the first time in my life gaining 5lbs feels like I've gained 50! I have definitely gone back to basics. For me the key is and will always be--EXERCISE! Exercise does make the difference.
    I have mixed feelings about going around stating that it's normal to experience some weight gain at "X" time postop. On the one hand, it may be psychologically soothing to be told it's OK so you don't totally derail your maintenance after experiencing a small regain. But on the other hand, it allows you to accept the regain so maybe you get a little too lax in your postop eating and excercise regimen. If you are told regain is alright, where's the motivation to NOT regain? For me, any regain is totally unacceptable. Seems that's a slippery slop....if I accept 5-10 pounds, how do I prevent that from becoming 10-20 pounds, or 50+ pounds?

I'm 3 1/2 years out and am still at or within a couple pounds of my lowest weight. If I see a 5 pound regain, I go back to strict basics until I'm back down. It's a lot easier to nix 5 pounds rather than 10. And the real kicker is I'm actually 10 pounds below my original goal and 20 pounds below surgeon's goal, so I would still be a "success" if I gained 10-20 pounds. But in my mind, any regain is a failure on my part. I guess it's all what's acceptable to YOU. If watching this video helps you rationalize regain and continue to maintain at a weight that you are satisfied with, then fine. This is all just a mental game anyways, but know that there are no universal rules as to whether you will regain or not....it is not inevitable. It's your choices that create the weight gain, not some mystical force you have no control over.
    Weight regain is expected, my surgeon did tell me the same during my first consult. It's supposed to show up around 18 months out and can go from 5 to 10% of the weight lost.
    I'm soon reaching that mile stone, but so far I'm checking my weight regularly, and at 18 months I will be back home eating better so I'm hoping to continue losing! Since my metabolism is "weird" I hope to continue on my snail path, losing little by little at least during that time I'm not gaining! A lady in here was losing slowly until year 3 I hope it will be the same for me!
    I think I am doing pretty well on lowering my carb intake and exercising. Love this guy! And no, I'm not into junk, just don't have it in the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    I always say I am not on a "diet," and 95% of the time I eat what I should. But like I just said in a previous post, I won't ever deny myself anything, like a piece of pizza occasionally. I also maintain by weighing myself daily. Maintaining is so much harder than losing! (I thought losing was a piece of cake. And no, I didn't eat cake.) Besides daily weighing I exercise. A lot. But I am not on a diet, never will be. I got fat by dieting my whole life, so that didn't work for me.
    Don't get me wrong...I am referring to the people who eat junk all the time. I don't deny myself either but eat healthy most of the time. My typical day is never going to be filled with junk from morning to night. And I do have cake sometimes. Very small amounts and not on a regular basis.
    I always say I am not on a "diet," and 95% of the time I eat what I should. But like I just said in a previous post, I won't ever deny myself anything, like a piece of pizza occasionally. I also maintain by weighing myself daily. Maintaining is so much harder than losing! (I thought losing was a piece of cake. And no, I didn't eat cake.) Besides daily weighing I exercise. A lot. But I am not on a diet, never will be. I got fat by dieting my whole life, so that didn't work for me.
    I have done a lot of research on this as well. New studies are coming out that there are many people who are successful at keeping the pounds off. I can tell you this, the first key to maintaining is weighing yourself regularly and springing into action the minute you go past your 5 lb buffer. I also know that the people I see having regain are also the ones who think that they can eat whatever they want as they are not on a "diet". I will say we should be adapting a new healthy lifestyle with our sleeve. I know there is no way I am going back. I weigh daily and am not ashamed to admit that.
    Oh big hugs girlfriend!! You know everything you need to know. Just breathe and relax. It will pass. It is just absolutely frustrating to go through it. You know you are rocking your sleeve and looking great! YOU GOT THIS!!!! Take the time to admire your new shape and be inspired by the things to come! Sometimes we forget to stop and take it all in!
    I understand the frustration. I found myself getting upset when I didnt lose a pound a day. I just took a step back and looked at the big picture. Healthy is the goal and that isnt always proved by a number on a scale. It sounds like you are doing the work. Stick with it and dont give up! You look awesome!!
    Thanks yolymarie. I'll try and remind myself that it's temporary.

@ Sandra3 I'll see if I can boost my mood with more walks or maybe a few little rewards (like @home facial, new nail polish, etc.) that may help me stay distracted till the weight starts to come off again.

Going to stay positive, and remind myself that a stall isn't the END of the weight loss. I'm down 78 lbs, and I need to give myself credit for that, and a break from the negative self talk.
    Stalls are expected and needed by our bodies but it's a real pain in the neck for our mental state.
    I mean even if I know it's temporary, somewhere it was always a reminder of all those failed diets.
    Until recently, because for some reason it's less stressful now than it was six months ago. May be because times goes by and I know this time it's progress for good! Also I had many friends being really supportive those past weeks and I think that the image of myself through their eyes is for sure helping. Looking at old pictures, trying on clothing too big also give a sens of progress, but exercise has certainly been the biggest help: be able to move more, not be tired all the time is priceless and does help a lot to feel better "in my new shoes" . For sure the emotional side is still here, as well as body dismorphia, but little by little it's getting better. Give it time and have high hopes! take care!
    I think you just continue to be you. You are always super positive and a super go getter. Just remember this stall will pass. Its just your body adjusting to the new lower weight one day it will say, OK lets keep moving!

Good luck!
    I actually made it the day she posted recipe. I can say I tried. But it was not as tasty as it sounds. Not my cup of tea.
    Sweet! I'm a sucker for anything that even resembles bread. I'm gonna have to try this, once I'm way post op of course.
    That is awesome. I am going to have to try this one day. If you try it before I do, let me know how it goes!
    Wow!! Thanks so much!!
    Don't forget that high protein intake builds muscle! So your body could just be replacing fat with muscle and in that case the number on the scale won't move.
    I'm so proud of you ! Sounds like you are doing great. Hang in there I had a 1 pound week its a little frustrating but I'm just moving forward ..
    Remember to take body measurements. It can get frustrating to see weight loss not registering on your scale, but taking monthly or bi-monthly measurements will probably show continued loss and keep you motivated. I went from 20/18 dress size to size 14 in less than two months!!! Now I'm size medium and holding at size 10.

I'm on a true stall since my scale and my measurements haven't budged much since the Holidays.

I'm still grateful and static with my results, I know from here on it's my commitment to a lean, healthy, active, and mindful lifestyle that will help me stay on program and eventually get me to my weight goals.
    Way to go TarotAces!!

Sounds like everything you're doing is great! I had such a hard time getting in all my liquids, etc.

Now, almost a month, I'm able to eat my poached egg for breakfast, etc. Tonight I had salmon and it was great!!

I'm dreading the stall...I know me. I'll feel like I'm not doing something right too. I just have to keep signing onto this forum to get my encouragement!!!
    Completely normal for your weight loss to be a little wonky in the beginning and even to stall. I felt frustrated early on like maybe I wasn't doing something right but I am losing very steadily now. I've followed my surgeon's paperwork on my new lifestyle. So it totally is not a diet....a new way of life. And I love that I have a lot of energy and am looking great. Do you have a good vitamin regimen? I know that getting in the right nutrients is super important but also hard especially in the beginning.
    When are you cleared for exercise? Do you have any goals for that?
    Congrats on getting all your marco's, calories, and water intake in!! That is phenomenal considering you are only 3 weeks out. Very impressive! I know you are going to be successful. You definitely have wrapped your mind around the changes.
    And let me say this as well....I am proud of you!
    I ate dumb things right after my surgery, too. went to Costco and ate samples at like 3 wks out.....looking back, that was pretty stupid of me. But after a loving 'smack down' from my buds on this site, I straightened up and flew right...or at least tried harder. (damn you Costco samples!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslieann
    Dang girl...you go! Wow! I'm still on poached eggs, cottage cheese and today I had 1/2 of a small turkey sausage patty. Felt ok afterwards, but ended up with a real quick trip to the bathroom

This evening my menu consists a bariatric chicken cream soup. Oh last night I indulged in egg drop soup. Went well, but again to the bathroom I'm not real hungry but can't wait to eat a bite of chicken.

Keep on going!!!!

Thanks Leslieann

The appetizer consisted of soft and moist foods and I did only have a very small amount of it (and was SUPER careful to chew it until it became liquid in my mouth). Tried to eat a scrambled egg today: went down with NO problems, but made me really nauseated. I'm going to hold off on anything more solid than yogurt for at least a few more days (trying the yogurt for lunch).

I SOOO look forward to chewing a bite of chicken too. I totally understand the feeling. I miss chewing. lol
    Thank you for your comments. Truly, I appreciate them. I am VERY happy for the concern and advice, and welcome all well intended input. <3

I feel I should have said that I, of course, realized that I made a bad decision in having any wine which is why it was under 'Confessions' (however the 4 ounces over the course of 5 hours did not even irritate my sleeve at all as it was sipped VERY slowly; also I was not drunk or buzzed as I 'tasted' [which means spit out] the wine flight and then passed them over to be consumed by Bill).

The foods in my appetizer (which I only ate 3 very small bites of) ARE allowed to me on my soft foods phase (which literally started today; 1 day after this night) so not really that bad, honestly.

Update on the incision infection: it is clearing up nicely though I will likely still see a Dr. since I only have one day left of antibiotics.
    The first month post surgery is really crucial. It's when the stomach is healing. You need to stick to your guideline. I don't think your surgeon would approve your evening drinking.
    I don't want to be mean but your post is really worrisome.
    You should try your best to stay away from alcohol and make sure you follow your guidelines. At this stage full liquid/soft food is really the best choice.
    If you worry about sugar free for your coffee/mocha, you should check the content for any wine or alcoholic drink, you will be horrified.
    But it's not a question of micro and macro here, irritating your sleeve so early in the process is really a bad idea. It can be a major issue to ingest things you are not supposed to so early in the process because the staple line need to heal first!
    You need to contact your surgeon asap and tell him about your skin infection and also about the drinking at 11 days out. He might be able to help you with some more nutrition advice. Something got lost in the process here.
    Alcohol is a HORRIBLE idea. You should not even be taking a taste of it at this stage. You could get yourself into a deadly situation in a hurry irritating your stomach with alcohol. In fact, to be quite honest, your whole post sounds like you're intentionally trying to sabotage yourself. Nothing you wrote about that you ingested is on a single doctor's approved list of ok foods/beverages this early out. I hope you don't end up hurting yourself, but it sure wouldn't surprise me if you end up back in the hospital with complications.
    Great job staying within your goals. Sounds like a fun night!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast