Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

Congratulations! I hope my body responds the same way. Keep us posted with your progress!
    I'm 8 mos out and STILL eat too fast, which causes overeating, then the usual discomfort and/or urping. Guess I'm an old dog and can't learn new tricks....
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Yes eating too fast and too much, which is super easy to do at 3 weeks post op, will make you feel like that. I remember I did it a few times. I have definitely learned to eat the right way. Once in a while if I wait too long to eat then it can still happen because usually will eat too fast when I am starving.
    I have this problem as well, if I want to long to eat, I feel like I'm starving and eat way too fast. And, unfortunately, with my job, it seems like I end up doing this almost daily.
    Yes eating too fast and too much, which is super easy to do at 3 weeks post op, will make you feel like that. I remember I did it a few times. I have definitely learned to eat the right way. Once in a while if I wait too long to eat then it can still happen because usually will eat too fast when I am starving.
    I'm more than 3 weeks out and still have random fatigue. The first couple weeks it was more consistent. Rest up and don't feel guilty about it! I suspect it has to do with all the adjustments our bodies are going through physically and chemically. We're 'eating' a tiny fraction of what we did prior to surgery. Food=fuel.

I hope my blog posts don't sound like Debbie Downer. I do truly feel I have gotten the results I was looking for and my healing is right on track. I am pleased.
    Hey you're doing great!!!
    Still taking some time for tummy to get used to it.

I still am eating soft foods. I usually have a poached egg and today I had that and half of a turkey (small) patty sausage. I cut it up into such tiny pieces and chewed until my damn jaw hurt! LOL
    It went ok
    I am going through these periods in the day where I could drop right into bed...what's with that???
    Whoops just saw the date. Glad everything is getting better now.
    I had severe pain in the beginning. It was a combo of things. Nausea, major heartburn, gas, acid reflux, not taking my pain meds because everything else was making me sick. Bottom line is you have to do it. If you don't take your pain medication it's going to get worse. I'm surprised they let you leave without filling it. Can you send someone for you? Take care of YOU. It will all get better I promise. All the pain eventually goes away.
    I am so glad you are having such a great recovery! And 17 lbs is amazing! Great job!!
    Fingers crossed!!! How many shakes have you kept down?
    So you've been able to keep down some shakes?? That's awesome! I have issues coming out of anesthesia so I was expecting some issues. Luckily I was only sick for about an hour after surgery. Much less than I usually am after anesthesia. But I get it when we know certain things usually affect us. Glad to hear that things are getting better!
    The weight loss will start and stop. Being fresh out of surgery you may have some additional fluids from surgery, especially since you have not been able to walk around much. Remember that this is a process. Don't compare yourself to anyone else either. You'll lose weight. Are you taking any kind of supplements? I know some people feel week and tired after surgery but I would think by day 5 you should feel a little better. What have you been able to drink protein wise? I was already taking my B12 gummy supplements by then to help with energy. I probably only drank 1 protein shake a day but was also getting some bites of creamed soup made with milk. I think your body may not be getting enough nutrients and that is why you feel so lethargic. I hope you find your energy soon.
    I'm sorry I forgot to answer your question about vitamins and liquids.

My surgeon puts his patients on the HMR diet which takes all the guess work out of it. HMR provides the shakes, meals for pre-op and later down the road as well as all the vitamins needed. With all the information to remember I like that,.. and the taste. Everything has a pleasant taste. What I don't like, necessarily, is the cost.

I tried a premier protein shake yesterday after hearing so many rave reviews about it. I calculated the cost of a premier protein shake in my area to be $1.67 (160 cal, 30g protein) while an HMR shake is approx $2.62 (110 cal, 15g protein).

HMR also has a chewable bariatric vitamin and calcium chew that I am taking daily. While the lack of guesswork has been nice I don't see myself staying on HMR once this post-op diet is less complicated, due to the cost. I think I paid around $225 for an HMR diet package that covered the 2 week pre-op liver reduction diet, one week post-op and about a 30 day supply of post-op vitamins (maybe more on the vits).

Liquids. Spring water. Spring water. Spring water. I've also got several tubes of New Whey Liquid Protein that I add to a bottle of water twice a day (ideally). Each tube packs 42g of protein. It tastes like fruit, dirt and sticks unless you mix it with a bottle of water. Then it tastes just like punch!
    Sometimes when I think I should have lost weight, I don't. Then I remind myself to get in all my protein, more water, some exercise and.....voila! A weight loss. Laying around and not eating do not make you lose weight. My nutritionist told me to exercise, but not too much. She didn't say how much was too much, but I think it's individual; enough to feel good but not to make you starving. Good luck, it'll all come together!
    Quote Originally Posted by esmeraldareyes
    oh wow sorry to hear you still in pain im having my surgery the end of jan or feb 2017 im scared. any advice on how you handling the liquids? what viatmins to take as im preparing for my journey? I hope thinks get better soon for you...thanks
    Please don't be afraid. I've been reading all over the net about other patient experiences and while it seems to vary it doesn't appear that my experience is unusual,... its just not the norm. From what I've gathered, many if not most do not have this much pain, this far out from surgery.

Even with the pain I've experienced so far I would do it all over again for the opportunity that lies ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by esmeraldareyes
    oh wow sorry to hear you still in pain im having my surgery the end of jan or feb 2017 im scared. any advice on how you handling the liquids? what viatmins to take as im preparing for my journey? i hope thinks get better soon for you...thanks
    Everyone is different. I would recommend that you ask your surgeon for a prescription liquid anti nausea and pain reliever. I was fortunate to only need my anti nausea like 3x and my pain meds like 4 x. The first few days were hard to get in my liquids. My throat was sore from intubation during surgery. And physically you just do not want any. And you can only take small sips or you will feel sick. I didn't want the sweet taste of protein shakes. I preferred to have broth and creamed soups. I could only take sips of the broth or 1 or 2 spoons of the creamed soups. But it did get better every day. I made sure I was walking around as much as possible but I did take little cat naps often. I was well enough to go back to work 1 week after surgery. I do have a desk job, though. If my job was more strenuous, maybe 1 week would've been too soon. Once you start eating foods, you can only eat 1-2 bites very slowly or you will feel really uncomfortable. You learn really quickly how to work with your new tummy. I still have to plan so that I can get my protein and water in and I am 8.5 weeks post op. I still cannot eat very much but I have learned when to stop and to eat more frequently. Overall, post op hasn't been too bad and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Good luck!
    Sorry you had so much pain after surgery. I was blessed to only have strong pain that first hour after surgery. And when I left the hospital I only needed my pain meds like 4x. It is going to get better. Big hugs!
    Awesome! You got this. It just gets easier and easier every day! Sure there will be some rough days but overall it does truly just continue to get better. You got this!
    oh wow sorry to hear you still in pain im having my surgery the end of jan or feb 2017 im scared. any advice on how you handling the liquids? what viatmins to take as im preparing for my journey? i hope thinks get better soon for you...thanks
    Way to GO!!!! Each day you're feeling stronger!!!
    Bagawk, We hear you, what I say is that some people, either forgot, or don't want to remember Post Op days 2, 3 and 4. They are a test for you. Can you handle it, of course you can!!!! Very soon you will be up and about walking your cares off.... We all were there!! It made our resolve stronger!!! Keep on it........ J
    You're on your way!