Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

You may want to reach out to some of the veterans here directly like Tinman, Ann2, Sraebaer, Kindle, to name a few. I have not been active for a while, but noticing they continue to support newbies, and sleeved.

From the sounds of your blog post you know what to do. From my perspective, sounds like you need to give yourself permission to believe in yourself, and allow yourself to do the things you know to do. I know because I see me in you.

There are several great threads going on currently on the #Post gastric sleeve forum. There is lots of good advice there. Check them out.

But, again, you described the five pillars/anchors of sustainable post gastric sleeve life.
    1. Protein-First Rule, protein is the building block for building muscle, healthy organs, skin, hair, nails. High nutrient complex carbohydrates vegetables take second high priority. Followed by low-glycemic fruit such as blueberries. These are high in fiber another important building block for mental alertness, elimination, and building your good gut bacteria.
    2. Supplementation, such as multivitamins and minerals. I am a fan of prescription grade vitamins ask your local gym, doctor/nutritionist/pharmacist/vitamin shop to recommend. Pre op through about a year post op I used Bariatric Advantage. Currently, I am using D’Adamo for your blood type supplements. Try a vitamin packed protein shake as a snack.
    3. Hydrate with water in between meals. No water during meals. The thought is that when we are eating water will push protein out before it starts breaking down to absorb needed nutrients. My thoughts on this is that our nutritional absorption starts at the first bite! That’s why we must chew, chew, chew and chew some more to not only help break proteins into smaller mushy bites so they don’t feel stuck in our esophagus/stomach (remember our stomach is the neck on a upside down corona bottle)... but most importantly, chewing creates the necessary enzymes to breakdown food! And it start in our mouth!!! Isn’t that awesome!
    4. Exercise. Oh boy. I just got back to the gym myself after a toe injury during my first half marathon. I completed it though! And I am back. Three days weights, two days circuit training. That’s the goal. It is recommended that at 30 minutes of heart pumping exercise a day. Start slow. You can do it!
    5. Mindfulness. Self-care. Eat mindfully for me means, being intentional about my food choices. It means enjoying my food. It means no distractions. Family time. Maybe conversation with myself if I am eating alone. It means no grazing or no scheduled planned snack. You have to define what self-care means to you. For me when I fail to smother my skin with lotion and it starts getting dry, it’s a sign that I have dropped the ball on caring for myself. If I don’t make my bed for several days, I ask myself am I depressed or busy stressed. These are tell tale signs that something is happening in my life that made me forget about rule 1-5.

Again. You got this!!!
    Hurray for hitting a milestone!! Get your body moving! Find something you enjoy doing. As you lose more weight, more activities will become enjoyable.
    Congrats kk your on track to doing what you need to do being more healthy..
    Congratulations! Awesome milestone!
    I know its easier said then done, but you need to make sure you get your protein in... so many options to keep it from getting boring... I mean how much chicken breast can we eat, right?

Beans, Lentils, chicken, brocholli pork, ground beef... I like to make a hamburger patty with cooked in onions and eat with a slice of tomato & green beans, or cook ground beef in a tomato sauce and spiralized zucchini, I also made a fantastic coconut lentil dish the other day and served it with steamed spinach for my iron intake. Beans are great source of protein and iron. Get it however you can, and make sure you drink water... I get dizzy if I don't. Also, I have trouble taking all the vitamin pills, so I use the Vitamin patches- Its like $20 for a month supply. Good luck!!!
    You are probably dizzy because you are not getting enough nutrients from your food. You said you eat anything but in small quantities. I posted a vitamin list from John Hopkins in the blog about diet, nutrition, and vitamins. That can get you started on the right path. I would highly recommend you focus on protein and veggies again. Once you have eaten that, you should be pretty full and not have much room for anything else. You have to get your body moving. You did not come all this way to give up on your new healthy life! You can do this!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gvn71
    Go back to basics! Get back on your menu from when you were 3 months out from surgery. Also get some support/help. Maybe a support group where you meet other people in similar situations? I've never been a sharer, but if I start gaining again I will join every group possible to figure out how to reverse it again.

Also, keep a good mental outlook. Believe in yourself and do this for yourself. Remember how great you'll feel! I can't say it enough, exercise, exercise, exercise!!!!

Good luck!

THANK YOU
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    Did you have regular post-op visits with your surgeon or GP? you need to have a blood test asap to know what kind of deficiency you have.
    But because you're not 12 months out yet, it's really important to monitor your protein intake (60gr per day for a woman) since you can't eat much.
    When I couldn't eat enough protein I was dizzy too. But being dizzy could be coming from dehydration to not enough iron, it's hard to tell. That's why you need a blood test.

At some point in our journey, we can eat more and get more hungry because our body tries to gain back the weight. That's when it's important to watch your diet closely, eat good nutritious food. Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring, it's easy to find things that you will like that are good for you too. Don't wait until you regain to change your nutrition, start today and you will feel better too. Vitamins are great to help and bariatric patients need to take it since day one post-op but eating the right food will help you more in the long run because the vitamin absorption is better from food than from tablets. Take care!

i dont visit them because its $150 a visit and last time i went all they said was your okay and weighed me like i dont have that money to spend tbh. but i am not eating the protein im suppose to its hard. and i think it may be my water intake too. thank you you helped allot
    Get out all your materials you got from your surgeon and get back to how us sleeved patients should be eating and drinking. And while you're at it, get out and take a walk! Or go to the gym, or ride your bike, or do whatever you enjoy. Your materials should also explain what vitamins you should be taking. I still take a bariatric multi-vitamin (after almost 4 years) along with calcium citrate and vitamin D.
    Did you have regular post-op visits with your surgeon or GP? you need to have a blood test asap to know what kind of deficiency you have.
    But because you're not 12 months out yet, it's really important to monitor your protein intake (60gr per day for a woman) since you can't eat much.
    When I couldn't eat enough protein I was dizzy too. But being dizzy could be coming from dehydration to not enough iron, it's hard to tell. That's why you need a blood test.

At some point in our journey, we can eat more and get more hungry because our body tries to gain back the weight. That's when it's important to watch your diet closely, eat good nutritious food. Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring, it's easy to find things that you will like that are good for you too. Don't wait until you regain to change your nutrition, start today and you will feel better too. Vitamins are great to help and bariatric patients need to take it since day one post-op but eating the right food will help you more in the long run because the vitamin absorption is better from food than from tablets. Take care!
    Go back to basics! Get back on your menu from when you were 3 months out from surgery. Also get some support/help. Maybe a support group where you meet other people in similar situations? I've never been a sharer, but if I start gaining again I will join every group possible to figure out how to reverse it again.

Also, keep a good mental outlook. Believe in yourself and do this for yourself. Remember how great you'll feel! I can't say it enough, exercise, exercise, exercise!!!!

Good luck!
    100 pounds = AMAZING! Go you!
    @everyone THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCH
    Great work!!
    Congratulations!!! woohoo 100lbs!!! well done Even though you have more to loose it's amazing how much better you can feel will a big chunk gone. Keep up the great work with diet and exercise.
    Very hard work! Congratulations!
    Congratulations. What a wonderful milestone. Keep up the good work.
    Congratulations!! 100 lbs is AMAZING!!!
    Way to go!��
    Congratulations!! that is so amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Are you taking biotin?
    I take Biotin for my rheumatoid arthritis related medications because my very thick hair has thinned out a lot from those drugs. So this sleeve surgery will cause hair loss too? Better double up my Biotin dose.
    Are you taking biotin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    I'm sure there are ways to make healthier versions of Mexican comfort foods...just like there are for other comfort foods. But they never do taste quite the same....sigh

yes your right they don't taste the same lol
    I'm sure there are ways to make healthier versions of Mexican comfort foods...just like there are for other comfort foods. But they never do taste quite the same....sigh
    Mine started falling out about 2 months after surgery. I freaked out!!! It was a lot. I started taking Biotin 5000 and Zinc. It only took two weeks for my hair to stop falling out. I have never been so relieved. I got it at Walmart and it wasn't expensive at all.
    I did not take a single thing besides my regular vitamins and get all my protein and I never lost a single strand. That's because nothing you can do to stop the hairloss. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. It's called telogen effluvium and is a normal response some people have to the stress of surgery, weight loss, chronic illness, certain medications, infections, even child birth. Has to do with our hair growth cycle, not nutrition. All the biotin in the world won't stop it. The biotin, good nutrition, including protein and rogain-type products can help with regrowth, however.

In the meantime, wear hats, get a new haircut, or don't do anything. It's temporary and your hair will grow back.
    I lost clumps but guess what , it all grew back, so don't worry yours will too. Just change your style to accommodate the loss, just make sure for the first 8 months you get all the protein and water in, you'll be fine.
    I found a biotin shampoo at target. I'm using an argan oil shampoo and biotin conditioner.
    Yep Biotin and Pre-Natal vitamins - I lost very very little.
    Sleep on a satin pillowcase
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast