Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    Thank you Christie!
    My husband is really stressed out about an other surgery but it has to be done.

I'm hoping I will be ok dealing with low carbs again, so far just a few days and my water retention is going down, I can see it just with my rings.
    I'm wondering if I should start tracking again...I don't like the idea but...it might help. We'll see how it goes!
    Take care!
    I am sure he is stressed because he loves you and it is natural to worry. But this is all for the best. I am not a big tracker but do it occasionally so I can see how I am eating calorie/macro wise. I know it helps a lot of people, though, so it isn't a bad idea. Let us know how the surgery goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Wow Sandra!! Glad you found your surgeon again. Trust and confidence in your surgeon is so important. Mostly to keep your mind at ease. Wishing you a wonderful, uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery!! Happy dance for you!
    Thank you Christie!
    My husband is really stressed out about an other surgery but it has to be done.

I'm hoping I will be ok dealing with low carbs again, so far just a few days and my water retention is going down, I can see it just with my rings.
    I'm wondering if I should start tracking again...I don't like the idea but...it might help. We'll see how it goes!
    Take care!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Sandra, I send you my best wishes for the very best results your old/new doctor (he sounds lovely) and you can achieve.

I'm glad you have a surgeon in whom you have great confidence. That's important, I think.

Nice to see / hear you back here again.
    Thank you Ann!!
    I must say I'm relieved to have found him!

My work load is getting lighter during Summer, I'm able to come back more often!

I will keep you posted when I have more news. I'm kind of scared of the surgery but it has to be done, and during Summer it will be easier to heal without flu viruses around..
    Take care!!
    Wow Sandra!! Glad you found your surgeon again. Trust and confidence in your surgeon is so important. Mostly to keep your mind at ease. Wishing you a wonderful, uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery!! Happy dance for you!
    Sandra, thanks for sharing so candidly. I too have a tricky (as in my 7 ologists can't figure it out) weird things with my health.

But you've made a great step with the increased protein and reduced carbs. I'm only 10 months out, but just know you are never on your own!
    Sandra, I send you my best wishes for the very best results your old/new doctor (he sounds lovely) and you can achieve.

I'm glad you have a surgeon in whom you have great confidence. That's important, I think.

Nice to see / hear you back here again.
    Hello Ann!

Thank you for your caring message!

In May I was also taking antihistaminic medication, forgot about it but my doctor was telling me that could also explain the second gain. My body is just so weird, all my doctors are always scratching their heads with my tests results and my very tricky metabolism..

I'm also thinking that since I have so much water retention lately, I might be getting close from menopause?? who knows...but for sure something is going on...

I met my "old plastic surgeon" who did some reconstruction on me 25 years ago. I 'm thinking about finally going with him for my surgeries, he will retire next year so I need to make up my mind soon.
    I'm going low carb very soon to try to "rebalance" my metabolism and get ready for surgery.

I will let you know how it goes!
    Take careXX

Sandra, hullo. Nice to see you back.

Here's what I can offer that may or may not apply to your situation. Ever since I went through menopause 20+ years ago, the quality and quantity of my sleep declined. And sleep deprivation makes everything in my life harder, including weight maintenance.

Not often, but sometimes I resort to sleep aids of various kinds, e.g., Tylenol PM (benadryl), melatonin, even (rarely) Ambien.

I've also been working since being sleeved to improve my sleep hygiene. You know the drill -- dark room, cool room, go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time, relaxation exercises, exercise during the day (not at night), etc. Honestly, the better my sleep hygiene, the better I sleep.

So maybe if you could sleep longer and better that might help you turn the corner on your 10-pound regain by reducing the stress in your life. ???

I'm also going to say that, based solely on my own experiences after four years post-op, I don't think there's anything magical that our bodies do at 2 years or 3 or 4 years after being sleeved that "makes us gain weight." Put more bluntly, I don't think "bounceback" is an inevitable metabolic phenomenon. I think it's a result of what and how much we continue to eat eat, how and how much we continue to exercise, how well we continue to care for ourselves, and how well we continue to focus on living the healthier lifestyle we were once so excited about when we were losing weight and newly slimmer. Those are my two cents' worth.

I hope you can get on top of this and lose soon the 10 pounds you've regained. You're such a smart, strong person (I remember you well from the many months you spent here) and certainly have the mental resources to solve this challenge. Best to you!
    Sandra, hullo. Nice to see you back.

Here's what I can offer that may or may not apply to your situation. Ever since I went through menopause 20+ years ago, the quality and quantity of my sleep declined. And sleep deprivation makes everything in my life harder, including weight maintenance.

Not often, but sometimes I resort to sleep aids of various kinds, e.g., Tylenol PM (benadryl), melatonin, even (rarely) Ambien.

I've also been working since being sleeved to improve my sleep hygiene. You know the drill -- dark room, cool room, go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time, relaxation exercises, exercise during the day (not at night), etc. Honestly, the better my sleep hygiene, the better I sleep.

So maybe if you could sleep longer and better that might help you turn the corner on your 10-pound regain by reducing the stress in your life. ???

I'm also going to say that, based solely on my own experiences after four years post-op, I don't think there's anything magical that our bodies do at 2 years or 3 or 4 years after being sleeved that "makes us gain weight." Put more bluntly, I don't think "bounceback" is an inevitable metabolic phenomenon. I think it's a result of what and how much we continue to eat eat, how and how much we continue to exercise, how well we continue to care for ourselves, and how well we continue to focus on living the healthier lifestyle we were once so excited about when we were losing weight and newly slimmer. Those are my two cents' worth.

I hope you can get on top of this and lose soon the 10 pounds you've regained. You're such a smart, strong person (I remember you well from the many months you spent here) and certainly have the mental resources to solve this challenge. Best to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Oh that was a bit of a blow. Things can knock us sideways in life but it sounds like you have a plan to get back in the saddle. You can do it. Forget the past and just look forward. The past has gone :-)
    Hi Stacey,
    Thanks for your message.
    I always knew obesity was here for life but my frustration here is that I can't even be upset at my diet which has been always consistent since surgery (even before but that's an other story). Fighting again against "outside factors" is just a real pain in the neck....but I'm positive I will find my way back on the horse!
    Thank you for your message!
    I stopped the medication in February but because the dosage was so high I think it's taking a long time to get out of my system.
    I'm suspecting hormonal issue now...but will get blood tests soon. And I'm trying to slowly lower my carb intake (but no crazy low carb) just to see if it's also helping, and do more walking as well to balance my metabolism...I wish I had more time to exercise....

And you are right, I didn't really get a real vacation since last July, the move, new position, "new country" (I'm back home but after 15 years overseas feels kind of like a foreign country)..a lot of stress and no me time. I do try to take a few minutes each day to focus and relax..but it's not doing the trick! Hopefully I should be able to take real time off in July...can't wait!
    Hi Shannon,
    Thank's for your message of support!
    Antibiotics and cortisone had always that side effect on me (it is my trigger for obesity) but so far I was able to loose the pounds in a few weeks (had the same issue in 2016 post sleeve, did gain a lot in a few days but it was gone after less than two months). When I was much heavier in 2010 I could gain 30 pounds with the medication, and it would take 3 months of strict diet to see it go away. Here I think because I reached the "two years spot" where so many gain back 5 to 10% may be I'm experimenting some "bouncing back". But I'm seeing a plastic surgeon next month and I'm guessing he will not like that gain...anyway...I'm thankful to the medication for saving my life...I have to figure out what my metabolism is doing right now...hopefully it's not some hormonal issue linked to that heavy dosage I took in January..
    Oh that was a bit of a blow. Things can knock us sideways in life but it sounds like you have a plan to get back in the saddle. You can do it. Forget the past and just look forward. The past has gone :-)
    I'm sorry to hear of your health problems.
    I hope that you get better soon and that your prednison can be stopped.

Yeah, life happens...
    But you can do this!
    You know what you can do and what you have to do.
    You'll be fine!

Just one thing: I have learned that "me time" never, ever is brought to me, you have to take that yourself...
    So take your "me time", you deserve it.

(I remenber taking my "me time" in the bathroom sitting on the toilet seat with a book. That was years ago, when I had to take care of my two mentally challenged children. That was my only way of taking that time. )
    Hi Sandra!

So sorry to hear of the issues and/or concerns you have been faced with as of late. Having to push through issues like the ones you have outlined above certainly do not make the overall struggle to maintain a "normal" weight any easier. But I have faith in the fact that you can pull through all of this and come out on the other side shining much like the superstar you truly are.

Hang in there. I know life makes living difficult, but it is how we handle those times that reflects the resiliency our characters possess.

I too, am in a struggle, but I am determined to push through it all. I refuse to bow to anything less than myself - and in the moment that that actually happens, it will be the moment I reach my goal weight (I am currently 237 lbs. and my goal weight is 185 lbs.)

Have a great rest of your week!
    Way to go Sandra!! I totally knew that being back in France and having so much more access to the foods you need would get your scale moving in the right direction. That is such awesome news!! Wishing you a fantastic holiday filled with love, happiness, and health. Big hugs!! XOXOXOX
    Fighting to keep the bacon has made me laugh!!! My body has done that today at my week 6 weigh in! I'm not worried and i love that expression! Gosh you sound busy, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and congratulations on your weight loss :-)
    Congrats Sandra!!! I knew you would do better with better access to good nutrition. I am so happy for you! And that is awesome that you will be able to get the skin removal surgeries as well. You have lost a lot and deserve it. I am fortunate enough for mine to not be too bad. Although I would really like a small boob job. My poor boobies are little sad sacks right now. So that would probably be the one thing I do when I can afford it. Keep us posted. So glad to hear you are doing so well. I've missed you!
    I miss you too Christie!
    My "own time" has been really limited lately, I had a few more hours this week because it's the school holidays and the kiddos went spend some time with their grandparents in the South. But they come back in two hours! Regarding the skin, it got worth with the last pounds gone and my legs look really terrible but I'm (almost) fine with it, I never really liked skirts anyway, especially since I became obese 21 years ago.
    My boobies are a little deflated too but so far not that bad (compare to the awful bat-wings). Wearing the right size bra does help a lot and I changed it several times so far, not for the cup size which did stay the same(still C or B depending on the cut of the bra) but I went from 42 at my biggest to now 36. I hope you will get the boob job at some point, that will be the cherry on top and you deserve it too!

My surgeries are covered by my insurance but because I'm going to get it done with a very famous professor (that surgeon is also specialized with burned victims and his work is simply amazing, I also saw his work on face lifts it's simply magical! I want him because my skin is really awful) I will have to pay out of pocket anyway because he does charge an extra fee. It's not that much (around 2000 per surgery) and I did negotiate the price because for the insurance it is considered as "not cosmetic but repair" I was able to get a better deal, the surgeon was nice to accept my offer and understand where I was coming from (This is really needed...and I'm not wealthy...).
    Anyway...I will keep you posted!! XX
    I'm so glad you're loving being back in Europe. Looks like you now have all the resources you have needed for some time.

Please stay connected here. It's good to hear from you.
    Thank you for your message Ann! No doubt I will try to come here more often, I miss you all for sure.
    But I'm having really crazy busy weeks right now, can't wait to have a few days off, I'm exhausted. I was planning on using my long commute to post more often and even did take a plan with a huge 4G data but unfortunately it doesn't work on my train and I can sometimes get a few minutes of connection to read a few posts but can't send anything. I even tried an other provider, same thing. So frustrating!
    So I use the time in the train to prepare for an exam I will take in December, Law school was in an other life, I did use some of the knowledge but never really worked in that field so I'm preparing for an exam working on Criminal procedure and I have a lot to learn since it changed so much in the last 20 years. New challenges are a little stressful but I like to learn, it's a change compare to nutrition :-). I honestly don't think I will pass the December exam because I should have started at least to prepare one year before the exam, but at least it will be a good test to see where I am at...and then focus on my mistakes and improve for next year...live and learn...
    Quote Originally Posted by JLPSch
    It sounds like the move was a great thing in so many ways! Congrats and enjoy!!
    Thank you! There's a lot of positive going back home after being overseas for 15 years. Somewhere it also feels like being in a foreign country...weird but I'm glad to see more of my friends, many I missed a lot more than I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Paris my favourite city, i was just there for the Australian summer. Congratulations on breaking the stall. So nice to hear you doing well :-)
    Thanks Stacy! Paris is great when you are visiting, not that great when you work/live there. My train was late three days in a row last week and on Friday we got stuck in the middle of nowhere for 2H15. Indeed we choosing to live in the countryside and commute is part of the problem, but I don't like being in a city during the week end..and living in Paris "intramuros" cost way too much for the kind of place we need with three children..
    Congrats Sandra!!! I knew you would do better with better access to good nutrition. I am so happy for you! And that is awesome that you will be able to get the skin removal surgeries as well. You have lost a lot and deserve it. I am fortunate enough for mine to not be too bad. Although I would really like a small boob job. My poor boobies are little sad sacks right now. So that would probably be the one thing I do when I can afford it. Keep us posted. So glad to hear you are doing so well. I've missed you!
    I'm so glad you're loving being back in Europe. Looks like you now have all the resources you have needed for some time.

Please stay connected here. It's good to hear from you.
    It sounds like the move was a great thing in so many ways! Congrats and enjoy!!
    Paris my favourite city, i was just there for the Australian summer. Congratulations on breaking the stall. So nice to hear you doing well :-)
    I was in France in August. The food!!!! Amazing! Sounds like you're doing well!
    Quote Originally Posted by JLPSch
    With all that going on, I'm so impressed! Congrats on your continued success!!
    Thank you! with all the turmoil around I was trying to focus a little on myself, with access to nutritious food again it was so easy to make good choices! I was a little worried about our two weeks at the hotel before the departure but I was careful and we ate mostly Japanese (for the fish). Yet I had to ban the chocolate...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydensmomma
    Hey! Long time no talk!! Sounds like your doing great!!!
    Hey Teri!! I'm glad to see you back! I missed you!! I'm doing very good regarding the circumstances, can't wait to unpack for good and to feel at home again!
    What about you? how are you? what's new?
    Congrats Sandra! I know it must be such a relief to not have to stress about having access to quality foods and vitamins. I am sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she is doing well. Enjoy your vacation and your friends. Catch us up when you get settled. Big hugs my friend.
    Thank you my friend! I must say it feels a little silly to be so happy doing the grocery shopping!!!I even came back from the south with beautiful organic zucchinis and amazing pink garlic, made an amazing dish with those and feta cheese the very next day. I'm glad I had a few happy times like that. Because those past two months are just eurk!
    My mum is doing great thanks!! she was actually nice the first day right after surgery, I knew she was very sick for being that nice. After two day she went back to her usual self: mean, judgmental and awful...so she is really good, no worries!
    My poor hubby is by himself in France with our youngest, he has been taking over after I left, had to deal with more issues with the house...I think September might be complicated too...but one day at a time..big hugs dear Christie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Rudewick
    Oh France!! Always wanted to go there! You are doing an amazing job of keeping things together. Moving by itself is stressful but with everything else that makes it doubly so. Pat yourself on the back!! You have handled all of it beautifully.
    Donna, I hope you will get a chance to visit my beautiful country! if you can come let me know I can help you prepare your trip! but don't stay only in Paris, there's so much to see in the countryside.
    I did feel that those past two months were especially hard...so I did treat myself this week some shoe shopping and tomorrow I'm getting a mani-pedi!
    Sandra, sounds like you're doing the very best job you can of caring for yourself while managing a lot of whirling dervishes in your life. Good on you!

I hope the next phase of your life (in France, I gather) will soon become easier on you.

Best wishes!
    Thank you for your message my dear Ann!
    I hope things will get easier too, the last two months have been extremely complicated, I can't wait to settle into a little routine and prepare the winter holidays!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast