Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Hope you found something to wear and had a great time!
    Thanks Christie! I did "recycle" and wear white linen, long skirt and jacket. It was too big but with some security pins and a tight top it looked ok and did hide the baggy waist.
    The function on Friday was really nice, I also had two dinners this week end, that was more casual and I didn't have to be that dressed up but I must say that it's so annoying to look at my closet right now, I'm going to enjoy most of next week in pajama! (packing and cleaning mostly, and being stressed out until we can relax in the plane)
    Hope you found something to wear and had a great time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martini
    this was so funny to me while reading. ithink that most of us share your same feelings of not having things to wear or not even wanting to go buy stuff because its so much of a reminder of what is going on with our weight issues, but the good thing is that you are loosing and honey trust me when i tell you that you are at a way better size than half of us that are in sizes 18 & up like me.
    just try and relax because you have gotten the hard part over with and you are loosing(yeah!!!!)
    Living in Asia, I can't find clothing here because westerners are not built the same. I did buy a few things here but mostly it's casual and not work appropriate. So I did bring suitcases of smaller sizes with me but right now I'm between sizes and it's complicated. But you are right, when I was size 24/26 it was much worth!

But I do feel that it was easier when I was losing each month (until month 9). For the last 9 months I lost almost nothing each month and reach my goal will take for ever. It's a little annoying I must admit. The easier part was for me the "honey moon" for sure...now it's more complicated. But moving at the end of the month will for sure change a lot of things! (food AND clothing )
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    OhMGoodness Womyn! You made me laugh with cheapo lol!!!
    Well, for real....I'm Master cheapo.. I like quality and won't spend much for it. When we lived in DC we had a Marshals right next door and I could find designer suits for 50$ even in my plus size! It was ten year ago but since that time I don't spend much...
    So I'm always hunting for a good bargain...during my last trip to the US I was able to find lovely suits from my fav designer (Tahari) for 30$!!! I couldn't believe it! so I got a few in small sizes. I'm almost to the point where I can wear those in smaller sizes (14P), but the 16's are now way too big..and I'm fine with a 14 but 14 P is too small..
    At that stage of confusion I think I will go with "too big everything" in linen because the heat is just awful and even waterproof mascara is crying it's so bad!
    this was so funny to me while reading. ithink that most of us share your same feelings of not having things to wear or not even wanting to go buy stuff because its so much of a reminder of what is going on with our weight issues, but the good thing is that you are loosing and honey trust me when i tell you that you are at a way better size than half of us that are in sizes 18 & up like me.
    just try and relax because you have gotten the hard part over with and you are loosing(yeah!!!!)
    OhMGoodness Womyn! You made me laugh with cheapo lol!!!

Wish you were here and I'd take you shopping to one of the biggest fashion outlets around. I bought a Donna Karan dress when I was size 14 several years ago (retail $$$$) for $80. I am looking for a seamstress to take it in without charging me more than what it was.

Going to business functions are stressful enough, the networking and small talk just makes me feel awkward. Last week, I joined my partner on a business trip and spouses that normally shunned me (we aren't married, ugh! I hate small minded people!) were all over me. I'm not one to toot my horn, and I didn't, for those who really wanted to know I just said that being diagnosed with Type2 Diabetes scared me straight and I adopted an proactive lifestyle which it is the truth!

I wore a gray and white striped size 8 fitted with a slight slit cotton skirt (new) with a white linen top (size 11/12 in my closet) and linen jacket (size 12/14 in my closet), and nude 3" pumps (new).
    I don't own gold or diamonds jewelry, but I have lots of silver and precious stones that fits me better and I dress up the outfit with it.

Just go to the event!

And send pics!!!

Xoxoxo
    OMG yes!!! I take the term "documentary" with a grain of salt!! They are predominantly one person's opinion and rarely fact based.
    Totally agree that for the most m part every storyteller has some type of agenda, particularly in storytelling.

Unfortunately, even off the wall like say "climate change deniers" will find facts to support their hypothesis or beliefs. They distort facts.

I'm curious to watch this said documentary! Particularly because they tried to influence public policy that would affect us all, but benefit only a few (and from my experience it would be stockholders wanting to profit) and that really irritates me.

One reason I love documentaries it is because most tell/expose both side of the story, but I have seen mockumentaries on the rise.
    OMG yes!!! I take the term "documentary" with a grain of salt!! They are predominantly one person's opinion and rarely fact based.
    This one is really well documented for once..
    Quote Originally Posted by RehabNurse
    I find that many of the documentaries on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are independently made by filmmakers with personal agendas and ulterior motives, especially the films related to nutrition and food.
    I would agree for sure, I watched several that were just plain stupid....thinking especially about the one about juicing...

Here it's not a guy trying to sell his stuff, it's for example about how the food industry is behind groups like research for cancer, diabetes etc ...who still advise people to eat things they should not.

He based his interviews on research and studies ( a few that he used I actually did read so I saw the point) and many different doctors are interviewed. He does advocate for a vegan life style. I'm not vegan but he made some very good points.
    And I did learn a few things.

I'm also a student in nutrition, I can tell you that between the classes I took in the US or Europe, we still learn the wrong things in uni classes! because research is intense and fast in that field, and curriculum are not up to date.

So it's for sure helpful, for people who can't access nutrition classes at uni, to see a few pointers and understand that carbs are not that bad and too much meat can actually kill you. (I'd rather eat too much chocolate but that's for an other discussion
    I haven't watched it, but the cheeseburger law that I know of is based on the Old Testament Hebrew Law and observed by most Orthodox (also practicing) Jews and it's sacrilegious to do so.
    It's actually a bill that was made to protect the food industry from law suits because they didn't want to pay millions like the cigarette industry. Lucky, it didn't pass Senate!
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/hr554

I do think that like in everything in life moderation for everything is the key. But there is very good points made in that documentary...
    Quote Originally Posted by RehabNurse
    I find that many of the documentaries on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are independently made by filmmakers with personal agendas and ulterior motives, especially the films related to nutrition and food.
    I haven't watched it, but the cheeseburger law that I know of is based on the Old Testament Hebrew Law and observed by most Orthodox (also practicing) Jews and it's sacrilegious to do so.

Funny enough that as a student of Anthropology (my undergraduate degree) evolution is the foundation for the study of human kind. And it wasn't until a few weeks ago that it clicked when I read that plants and other animals (say the armadillo or porcupine) didn't evolve to be eaten by anyone, but quite the opposite they evolved to NOT be eaten.

The book I was reading said that anything we eat in excess will end building up toxins in our system, that's why I like my modified Paleo lol!

I will put in my que to watch!
    And I cannot believe that no one stopped. So sad.
    Yes it's really sad. And I must say I was surprised (we were all surprised!), people are usually so nice here.
    But they are scared of us (westerners) because they know we don't speak Chinese fluently. That might be the reason why the only one who stopped long after the accident was a young man who could speak English.

Last year in May I had an accident when I was in France (that's the day I did hurt my left knee and the whole problem started) I lost balance in the street (was dizzy) and did hurt myself badly, people stopped their cars to help, even if my husband was there with the kids. One nurse parked her car and came check on my vitals. I mean I was in the country side and not the capital, I know that in bigger cities people are indifferent but still...

I tried not to have forbidden food so I wouldn't have cravings, but here with the allergic reaction on top, I think my inflammation level is high and carbs don't help...that's why I felt guilty about the second slice ...

It's complicated to have several "homes". Plus we also idealize the other place sometimes. Lots of mixed feelings!!
    It's a miracle she wasn't taken advantage of while passed out!
    Thanks Shirl!! she is doing better physically but for sure the trauma is there. I'm checking on her everyday as other friends do too, her husband is only coming back at the end of the week so it's better to show her we are all here for her.

She was in the middle of a busy street, the miracle is that she was not hit by a car. Because of the violent rain (and flash flood) traffic became very bad and that was the reason for her accident, but on the ground when she couldn't move, cars and scooter were driving around her! no wonder she is having nightmares!

I do believe that eating the wrong food and feeling guilty about eat is a form of stress which is actually making us crave more bad food and gain weight. For sure. I've been trying since the beginning of the process to have no "forbidden food" but I know I still have to have limits because it's too easy to eat carbs.

For sure the past three weeks have been stressful. I've been to the hospital too often those past weeks....one of the kids has been sick too, a trip to the ER in the middle of the night showed that we have no idea what's wrong. We suspect some tropical disease (IRM showed an inflamed colon at 15!) or it could be a form of IBS like me, I hope not ...treatment didn't really work well.......

Anyway...I can't wait to be in the plane going back home with the move finished!
    Indeed I will be sad, but at that stage relieved too..
    How awful for your friend. Very traumatizing. And I cannot believe that no one stopped. So sad. At least she has a great friend like you to look in on her. I can tell you I eat cake. Not every day but I do sometimes. I just make sure it is in moderation and not frequently. There is a place in town called Nothing Bundt Cakes. They sell mini bundts. I will occasionally get them for the family. I will take me 4-5 days to eat mine, while the family will eat theirs in one day. I usually give bites to my husband. I do not do this all the time because I focus on protein and veggies. But...I do allow myself to indulge on occasion. I do not feel bad for it. Only time I feel bad about anything I eat is if I eat too much and it hurts physically! I am actually more home sick now as I am so close to my trip back home. So I get it.
    Sandra, I hope your friend get to feeling better soon! It's a miracle she wasn't taken advantage of while passed out! I've witnessed plenty of accidents and while I have a policy of not stopping if I am alone I will call 911 to report. I would like to imagine that she wasn't easily visible and that's why no one came to assist her.

Lately I have been reading and trying to understand the psychology of eating. I have read several studies that found that our brain releases chemicals when we eat. If we eat something with guilt it produces more cortisone hormone which impedes proper digestion of food and it can be counterproductive when one is trying to lose weight. The negative beliefs we put in certains foods really puts an unnecessary strain on our digestive and metabolic systems.

A piece of cake or slice of pizza aren't the problem for most who don't have autoimmune deficiencies or gluton allergies like celiac. For most, it's eating pizza not once a week, but eating nutrition void foods several times on any given day.

I am really working on not feeling deprived, but I know that eating certain foods are not going to help me stay diabetes free or keep my cholesterol checked.

You are doing amazing!

I wish I could be happy in one place without missing the other. Moving sure sucks! Hopefully you will find yourself settled in your new home.

Hugs!
    That must be awful to always have that in the back of your mind that you could have an allergic reaction.
    Ha ha! my husband said we are never going back to Turkey! 15 years ago I got so sick after eating yogurt there, the doctor was thinking about sending me back to France with Europe assistance! But at the end after him panicking, I was able to take my regular flight the next day. Black and blue but walking..

It is a pain, because growing up in the French West Indies I did catch a few tropical diseases (and my first round of dengue fever) that didn't help my messy metabolism for sure. But since we are in Asia and my risks are worth here (humidity, mold everywhere) I have to carry the adequate medication with me at all times. I must say so far I've been lucky, it's only my second issue in almost three years...I have been able to stop it each time before it turns into anaphylactic shock..

But I never realized before that incident that antihistaminic medication could make me gain weight!
    I love Neufchatel! I use it instead of cream cheese, it has less fat. I wonder what could have triggered your allergic reaction.

At end of August I will be enthralled in my graduate program at USC. Though Not bad of a drive from/to Phoenix if you will have time on a weekend.
    I had a great Neufchatel in France last month, I was fine! I'm guessing here that since it was just wrapped into paper with a little cardboard around it was not sealed closed and could have been fumigated at the arrival of the container. That's my only explanation...or the cheese had an issue with bacteria (that would not affect hubby..) but in doubt the kids were forbidden to touch it!

Looking at my crazy calendar, Sunday 27 could be an option. Are you outside LA? PM me your town's name I will look into it. I just want to avoid LA, that's where we land usually but this time we don't stay long so I took a flight directly to Phoenix because I wanted to avoid extra driving.
    OMG!!! That is terrible. Thank goodness you were able to stop the reaction before it got really bad. That must be awful to always have that in the back of your mind that you could have an allergic reaction. I am like your husband. Two years in Turkey in the early 80's has me able to eat anything. Was actually on a trip at school once were everyone got food poisoning from the hotel the day we left. The only ones who did not get sick were myself, my mom, and another friend who I actually had met when we were little and lived in Turkey. I do not call that a coincidence. Everyone else was sick as a dog for about 3 or 4 days. We were absolutely symptom free.
    I love Neufchatel! I use it instead of cream cheese, it has less fat. I wonder what could have triggered your allergic reaction.

At end of August I will be enthralled in my graduate program at USC. Though Not bad of a drive from/to Phoenix if you will have time on a weekend.
    Oh Sandra! So sorry to hear/read about allergic reaction! What type of cheese was it?

Now that summer is here I went to get a case of my favorite Isopure Black-tea with lemon protein drink , and they didn't have and they didn't know when they would get a shipment. So I bought the green tea Protein drink and my tongue felt funny afterwards. But not sure if it was that or seaweed salad I ate with salmon.

I hope you get to feeling better, and like you said it is medical related gain.

I have been meaning to ask, where about are you going to be in the States in August?
    It was a Neufchatel (heart form, looks a little like brie) good quality, even had an AOC (controlled appellation). My husband (who could eat from the floor and not get sick after growing up a few years in India) had the cheese himself and he is fine! so weird!
    I'm better but I was swollen for 48 h..

I will be mostly in Phoenix. It's a short stay for the kid's exams? Where are you going to be at the end of August?
    Oh Sandra! So sorry to hear/read about allergic reaction! What type of cheese was it?

Now that summer is here I went to get a case of my favorite Isopure Black-tea with lemon protein drink , and they didn't have and they didn't know when they would get a shipment. So I bought the green tea Protein drink and my tongue felt funny afterwards. But not sure if it was that or seaweed salad I ate with salmon.

I hope you get to feeling better, and like you said it is medical related gain.

I have been meaning to ask, where about are you going to be in the States in August?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    It was actually a mix of work and vacay but overall a good stay.
    Don't worry I'm going to be back more often in here for the next two months, then probably off part of August and back in September.
    This move is my worth...ever...I have to move our small house into the bigger one in France, then here we have part of our belongings in storage and all together it's a 40ft container, 400 boxes to deal with. Just thinking about it gives me headaches.
    But congrats for all your success you are doing amazing! I'm happy for you!
    I shipped 9.5 crates from the Netherlands. They filled my friends garage and my hubbys garage. My hubby had a fully furnished house. I just finished going through everything a few weeks ago. It took 2 years and 8 months. It was exhausting. Especially because Texas gets so hot and it was labor intensive. I can tell you I did a lot more when the weight came off.
    Glad to hear you had a great vacation with great eating and getting your bloodwork a better. I know that once you are back in France you will have so issues getting all your nutrients. And yay for your ligaments feeling better. I am glad you are back. I always miss you when you go!! You are one of the people I count on. Hope your move goes smoothly. I know how much of a pain in the butt that is. Been through many moves myself. Big hugs and glad you are back!!!
    It was actually a mix of work and vacay but overall a good stay.
    Don't worry I'm going to be back more often in here for the next two months, then probably off part of August and back in September.
    This move is my worth...ever...I have to move our small house into the bigger one in France, then here we have part of our belongings in storage and all together it's a 40ft container, 400 boxes to deal with. Just thinking about it gives me headaches.
    But congrats for all your success you are doing amazing! I'm happy for you!
    ✨Miss you!✨

Totally agree that the best source of essential vitamins and minerals should come from the food we eat! And I am there with you with slow weight loss, any ounce I lose puts me closer to my goal. However, I am done with the weighing for right now. My waistline is at 34.5" which is freaking amazing! Now my goal is a 27-30 inch waist lol!

Still hoping and praying our paths will cross in Paris!
    Thank you Shirley! miss you to!
    For Paris it seems so far we are going back in August..:-(
    But congrats on your waistline!
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa2
    Glad to hear things are going well. Hope your move goes smoothly.
    Thanks Theresa!
    Glad to hear you had a great vacation with great eating and getting your bloodwork a better. I know that once you are back in France you will have so issues getting all your nutrients. And yay for your ligaments feeling better. I am glad you are back. I always miss you when you go!! You are one of the people I count on. Hope your move goes smoothly. I know how much of a pain in the butt that is. Been through many moves myself. Big hugs and glad you are back!!!
    ✨Miss you!✨

Totally agree that the best source of essential vitamins and minerals should come from the food we eat! And I am there with you with slow weight loss, any ounce I lose puts me closer to my goal. However, I am done with the weighing for right now. My waistline is at 34.5" which is freaking amazing! Now my goal is a 27-30 inch waist lol!

Still hoping and praying our paths will cross in Paris!
    Glad to hear things are going well. Hope your move goes smoothly.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast