Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

I think I am getting kidney stones, but not sure bc I haven't gone to the dr for the pain yet.
    Much blessings on your marriage!!!! & congrats on your success!!! Can't wait to see pics of your beautiful day!!!
    Oh, Tiffany!

Very, very, very best wishes to you and your husband. And if you would like to do so, post some wedding pix here when you're home from your honeymoon. I know we'd all love to see them and share your joyful day that way.
    Congradulations honey. Many blessings on your owls journey and your marriage.
    Congratulations on your weight loss success and for your up coming wedding. Please remember to enjoy YOUR special day!!
    Congrats! Wishing you well on your Wedding day!
    UNBELIEVABLE!!! Congratulations!!! I hope your day is beautiful - that you are surrounded by those you love and that this is all just the beginning of Happily Ever After.
    Quote Originally Posted by kchopkins
    JenJen - I'm pretty much over the shakes too. But know I cannot reach my protein intake goal without them, so I hold my nose and swallow as much as possible. Not ideal, but I get it in.

Tiffany - Congrats on your 6 weeks! I just hit the same mark on Tuesday! TIme sure does fly!
    Thanks doll!! Congrats to you too!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jenjenriley
    I cannot for the life of me get those protein shakes down. Just the smell of whey make me sick. I had my sleeve surgery August 5, 2014. I am losing just concerned about the protein. I am able to get my vitamins in most days but it's been hard the last couple of days to eat very much at all. Did or have you experienced this?
    I did fine with me if I used soy milk instead of water. And I did one scoop of vanilla and one of chocolate. It wasn't that bad that way but I had to stop drinking them because they gave me kidney stones =(
    JenJen - I'm pretty much over the shakes too. But know I cannot reach my protein intake goal without them, so I hold my nose and swallow as much as possible. Not ideal, but I get it in.

Tiffany - Congrats on your 6 weeks! I just hit the same mark on Tuesday! TIme sure does fly!
    I cannot for the life of me get those protein shakes down. Just the smell of whey make me sick. I had my sleeve surgery August 5, 2014. I am losing just concerned about the protein. I am able to get my vitamins in most days but it's been hard the last couple of days to eat very much at all. Did or have you experienced this?
    Wow I can't believe how many people have stones! I hope everyone is getting to the point they don't have them anymore!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindle
    Geez, I'm sorry about the pain you've had to endure. I've had 2 gall bladder attacks since surgery and they are WAYYYYY worse than surgery. So What is it about the protein shakes that is causing the stones? I have a good friend who kept getting them from drinking too many sports drinks (Gatorade, etc)
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I know that there's so many things that can cause them because everyone has different body chemistry. I think mine was just tooooooo much protein all together. My kidney doctor wanted to test them but they broke up before he could.
    Thanks so much! Its finally getting better so I've been able to keep food down finally.
    My goodness I hope you're feeling a little better by now! Congrats on kicking the kidney stone problem. I hope this sinus infection will soon be gone, as well.
    I've never had kidney stones ( knock on wood ) but when I was doing the Nutri System thing I wind up having a gall bladder attack and OMG was it ever so painful like everyone else have said. And it was because of the drastic diet change from what I was told. But I thank God I did have the attack because it was then I found out I had Kidney Cancer. It was caught in time. I had a partial kidney removal and have been cancer free for 5 years now.
    I have been hospitalized with kidney stones and recently had another attack. I mixed one oz fresh lemon juice and one oz olive oil and shot it down in two shots. I can't believe what this has done to help break down the stones. I read about it on earthclinic.com. I was skeptical but there were too many people swearing by it. Truly works. I asked my surgeon about it as my surgery date gets closer and he said it's fine to continue after being sleeved.
    I had kidney stones before surgery. Three in EACH kidney. Had some blood show up every time I had a urine sample taken. Went back to the urologist. He said good news no stones in left kidney. Only one left in right. Never felt the five others pass. He then proceeded to inform me that the stone left was over two cm big and would never pass. Had to have it blasted with sonic waves. That didn't hurt but... they put a tube in that ran from my kidney to my bladder and left it in for a week. Thought I was going to die. Urologist said I should drink a shot of lemon juice a day to help with recurring stones. You have my sympathy. Been there done that.
    Geez, I'm sorry about the pain you've had to endure. I've had 2 gall bladder attacks since surgery and they are WAYYYYY worse than surgery. So What is it about the protein shakes that is causing the stones? I have a good friend who kept getting them from drinking too many sports drinks (Gatorade, etc)
    Yes!!! Exactly!! My stomach was growling so I thought, oh man this isn't head hunger, it's real. But now I know that head hunger can make your stomach do that. So I've been drinking my shakes and water and when it starts growling, I'm getting up and walking.
    I found it difficult inbthe beginning to distinguish hunger from dehydrated, as the nut putnit you should feel empty. ? But tummy was grinding ! Once I started addressing head hunger with fluids it resolved. Now its more the sugar drop , and empty feeling like you need something. Its alll very new and strange.
    Jag, younwill still crave. Most cravings I have can be squelched either nin a few bites (limiting those not so great for you items) Or with staying to basics. Protein first veggies second then any fruits if you have room , then starchy carbs. Keeping refined sugars and starchy carbs limited helps curb cravings for th
    em as they are quite addictive.
    I think i still feel true hunger, just not as often.
    So would it be safe to say that head hunger is more like cravings vs. the emptiness in the belly is real hunger? I haven't been sleeved yet but I can tell you that I don't think I've ever felt "full" one of my causes for my weight issue...good question
    I agree. A lot of times my sleeve talks to me and I'm usually due to drink more fluids more so than anything else. As far as food/hunger, I use the clock as my compass. 6 am bfast, 10 am small snack, 1:00 lunch, 4:00 sometimes a snack, depends, then 7:00 dinner. If I work out right after dinner, I may need something after that. I find I get tired if I don't eat like that since I am still on very small amounts. My goal is to be on 3 meals with 1 snack within the next few months.
    Anytime I think I'm hungry, I drink water. If that does it, then if don't eat, if i still feel hungry, I eat.
    IT is very hard at first but the good news is you eventually figure it out. Early on a good rule of thumb is if you are following the guidelines (protein first, lots of fluids) then use the clock to measure how often you eat. If it has been three hours or more, then it is time to eat. Plan a breakfast, lunch and dinner with a snack in before lunch and before dinner. (or after dinner if you are a late night snacker). You should be able to space out your meals through out the day that way. remember to just use that as a guideline. If you are hungry between meals, drink water/fluid. If that is not keeping you satisfied, up your protein or carbs (staying within your nut's guidelines). Try different foods to keep you body / mind happy and switch it up. Track your food on a site like My fitness pal so you can get your nutritional values. Some days you can go to the limit of your carbs and keep you fat low, others you can go over on fats and keep your carbs low. That way your body gets everything it needs just not at every meal.
    I am ten months out and I still fight that urge to eat in the afternoon. Every day is a struggle. But every day it gets just a little bit easier.
    I think head hunger is something we will battle with our entire lives. Keeping busy really helps me.
    I am 3 weeks post op and I can never tell when I am hungry because I don't ever feel hungry. I do get an emptiness in my chest and belly area and that makes me think I should eat something. I do go through head hunger and when I have those feelings it is usually because I want to go back to my old eating......pizza, subway, French fries, DQ ice cream, cheeseburger.....and I don't even like red meat. lol

Hope that helps explain what I feel about hunger and head hunger.

Laura