Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

it's been 7 years since my sleeve.

I lost a ton of weight in the first 10 months. once I got to my lowest (for a hot minute), I started regaining. the gain was slow at first, then suddenly, in 2021, it skyrocketed. I've regained around 50-55 lbs. Still 50 less than when I had surgery, but too much.

I think what started it is that I started feeling hunger again. REAL freekin' HUNGER. Like, true pain. Like it was before I had the surgery. The sleeve fixed the stomach pain I felt for a few years. But now... it's been back with a vengeance.

Also, I stopped thinking about food and eating nonstop after the surgery. Then, that constant thinking about food came back with the hunger.

I've just started searching for "re-sleeve" info, or something that can take away that hunger again. I came across this post from almost a year ago.....did you get the revision done?
    It seems like it would be a risk that you can't afford to take. Is there a therapist that you have trust in? Please take care of yourself, safely.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringRose
    Thank you, guys!
    I go get in about 4 miles a week with the kids. This helps a little. But not enough to combat so many sitting hours.
    I like the idea of a home gym and desk ball 👊🏻. My core is absolutely weak compared to 6 months ago.
    I get the gym only once a week. That’s my issue. I do all my workouts hard core classes n the weekend and then hurt all week 😂.
    Standing at my desk would be GREAT! Maybe I can convince them somehow. Even if we invest in a laptop. I have two monitors but don’t need them 70% of the time.
    Morning runs sound like the best. How did you get into the routine?
    Thank you for all the advice. ❤️
    I got into running with baby steps. Forever I just walked a 3 mile route, then I started running just the downhills, a little later added the flat parts, and lastly the hills. I would say working up to running three miles took me at least a month or two. As far as getting into the routine, you just have to do it. After a while it becomes a habit and is no longer "work." I did buy a nice light as it's dark at 5 am, and learned to dress for the weather from other runners. In the winter they told me to dress like it's about 10 degrees warmer than the temp. Worked.
    yeah like others said, I know I work in a hospital and I do walks when I can, I also go walking with my patients I work with. Can you also get a fit bit, or just do 30 minutes of exercise through the shift, just do a like 1-2 for your shift. I know I work from 7.5 hour to 16 hours in a day. I do lost of walking, like right now and when I was at home, I walked 10,936 and did walk 17 flights of stairs.
    Do you get breaks? I get 2 a day for 20 minutes and I take a speed walk during that time. It has helped me get my steps in. Also little changes like parking farther in parking lots helps a bit. It all adds up in the end. Do you like workout videos? You can do those at home. Or do you have a park you can take the kids to that you can work out in? I've seen a lot of those that have stations for adults so you can be with your kids while doing them. But honestly, I would not feel guilty about 30 minutes. You have to be able to take care of yourself to take care of your family! Us moms are guilty of always putting ourselves on the back burner. Good luck.
    I got into the routine when my body settled at a weight (140s range) that I did not want to remain at. I'm only 5'1" and 140+ pounds looked somewhat thick on me.

Five days a week of running was enough to shock my body into losing again.
    Thank you, guys!
    I go get in about 4 miles a week with the kids. This helps a little. But not enough to combat so many sitting hours.
    I like the idea of a home gym and desk ball ����. My core is absolutely weak compared to 6 months ago.
    I get the gym only once a week. That’s my issue. I do all my workouts hard core classes n the weekend and then hurt all week ��.
    Standing at my desk would be GREAT! Maybe I can convince them somehow. Even if we invest in a laptop. I have two monitors but don’t need them 70% of the time.
    Thank you for all the advice. ❤️
    I currently work a desk job...I go to the gym whenever I please since I'm childless.

However, back in the days when going to the gym was time-consuming, I worked out at home. I went on neighborhood jogs early in the morning (before work) or late at night (after work).

I also have a makeshift home gym with a barbell, weight plates, bench, resistance bands, and adjustable dumbbells.
    Just a thought, Why not go exercise with your children. You could go for a hike in a nearby park, walk around the neighborhood, ride bikes together. They would be with mom and all of you would get some fresh air and exercise.

At work try walking the longer way to your destination. If you're going to the restroom, use one further away if possible. Park farther away from the building. If you look online they have desk exercises you could try.
    The secretary at our school has an adjustable desk where she can stand when she wants (not an option? Even for health situations?), and also her desk chair is basically one of those big balls you see at the gym attached to a chair, which would work your core while sitting.

While working, I did get in the habit of waking up an hour early for a morning run. While it sounds horrible, I actually did have more energy and felt better during the day. In other words, I was less tired than if I had slept that extra hour.

Just some ideas. I totally understand the struggle, especially with children. (Mine are grown, so I don't have that problem, but my daughter sure does. She said she is only able to go to the gym on Saturday, and then aches all week!)

I too am struggling with some regain, and continual pain from a broken neck. But we just have to push through "life" and try to put ourselves first. Good luck, we can do it!

PS. in your profile photo you look perfect! Thin and beautiful!
    Thanks! Yes, it start right after surgery. They assumed it was gas and such. But it is still present. Since I have good insurance now, we are going to start investigating it so I get figure it out. I will definitely post about what is found and whether or not it is related.
    I'm sorry to hear that. No answers but I'd be curious to hear what the doctor says. I've found that since surgery I can't sleep in the same position all night without feeling pain in my lower back and stomach. But if I switch to another position I'm fine until that gets uncomfortable and I switch again. I have a temperdic mattress so it's not that. Not comparing my issue to yours as yours seems much worse. Just curious if it's surgery related. Did it start right after surgery? I hope you get answers and feel better soon.
    Also, I forgot to add...but little things like a purse too heavy can damage my back. During my last three weeks trip, I decided to keep in a closet my (large) purse and switch for a backpack. I had to carry a few pounds with me all the time and that was a wise decision...
    [ I have never heard of magnesium for stress. I have also never EVER heard of arnica. I will look into this. Omega is something I am supposed to take for my heart health and always forget. [/QUOTE]
    I've been dealing with serious health issues my all life...basically starting from the age of 8. Conventional medicine and drugs did save my life more than once.
    But at some point early in my twenties I started to try phytotherapy and homeopathy because I always have issues with side effect when I take a medication. I also did acupuncture for months to help with my allergies, it did help a lot in just one year.
    Arnica is good for many issues, there is a gel (brand Boiron) to help with bruising. I always had a tube in my purse when the kids were younger. I take arnica in pellets or sublingual tablets for pain, but also to help with bruising or even after surgery.
    Magnesium is a great stress relief, but in my case because I have IBS, I need to take really small doses (I would take it in three times during the day with food) or I'm running...dark chocolate is also full of magnesium!
    Omegas are really important for your heart...but also many other body part: bones, skin etc...I currently take "Now Foods, Omega 3-6-9, 1000 mg" but also eat salmon often, and nuts everyday.
    To get you to take you pills everyday, you could get one of those pill organizer, stock it up once a week and keep it in your purse. That way you always have it with you. Just try to get it out for each meal, after a few days it will become natural.
    Strength training is not always good for your back, I did injure myself at the gym once. But you should ask a trainer about it because it will depend on what you are doing and how.
    I was swimming a lot after my car accident, and also taking ballet classes, but I had to stop tennis for sure.... yoga is slow impact, I did classes for years and now I usually follow a video because that way I can do it everywhere even when I travel. take care!
    Yoga is a lot so stretching, which us a good thing, and toning, which is also a good thing.

If it's a herniated disc, decompression will help. But only the MRI will see a disc. You could also try an inversion table to see if it helps before getting more pricey things done. People swear by them!
    SANDRA3,
    Thank you for the reply!
    It sounds like you had a rough go at first. I am glad you are doing better now. I have never heard of magnesium for stress. I have also never EVER heard of arnica. I will look into this. Omega is something I am supposed to take for my heart health and always forget. I am hearing a lot about yoga. I am going to have to look into this. Maybe my strength training was more harmful than helpful?
    I had some back issues between months 5 and 7. Weight loss was at it's pick, I figured my gravity center just changed and that was a trigger. But I had back issues since I was a kid (scoliosis and hyperlordosis) plus a car accident that damaged my neck ... it's just quiet for years and comes back once in a while.
    Since at the same time my D vitamin deficiency (and iron) was really bad, plus I had a virus, took cortisone, and blacked out and had injuries from the fall...and I was traveling for several weeks and not sleeping in my (very good) bed....I thought is was just a snow ball issue.
    So I took huge doses of d vitamin (doctor's orders), magnesium (for the stress) and arnica (for the pain). Plus more omega 3/6/9. Did some yoga/stretching. It was gone within a few weeks.
    Also that time was stressful for me, and I know for sure that major stress does take its toll on my back each time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby2
    Have you had an MRI? I haven't had the surgery yet but last year my upper top right near shoulder blade was unbearable painful...after weeks of not being able to function an MRI showed I had a herniated disc on T5-6...even though it was my neck the pain was in my upper back...basically after a few months it started feeling better but I had two shots a few months apart and that helped too...I will pray for you and hope you find relief soon ❤️
    Really? I have not had an MRI. I may have to suggest it to my doctor. I am currently trying to find a medical coverage I can afford but my doctor never suggested that. After the cortisone worked everywhere but the one area he said it must be depression and tried me on a few different SSRI's. Those all backfired; as we knew they would from using them for anxiety in the past. But then Cymalta worked so I thought "maybe he was right." But the only good thing about the Cymbalta is the back pain being gone. WIth it I need 10 hours of sleep. I can't think. And it takes me forever to think of anything. *sigh* I am so frustrated.

I have seen others had the same issue but everyone just says pain pills. I wont take them. They knock me out and, I feel, cover the problem not fix it.
    How did you learn you needed an MRI?
    Thanks for the information.
    Hi, Pam! Definitely want to be OFF the Cymbalta. It is the only "pain" medication I am currently on. I haven't had any muscle testing done. After my heart attacks they thought it was related to that; realized it wasn't. I wasn't schocked. I go to the chiropractor regularly. I am down to once a month. It doesn't help.

I have not tried acupuncture or yoga. Could you suggest a yoga or explain what types to look for or how it will help a beginner? Also, I know nothing about accupunture. Have you done this?

I am supposed to start grad school next fall and need off the Cymbalta before then. And, I really want to feel my age. Thanks for the thoughts. I did try some DoTerra, but without success. Though I have heard having someone that specializes in them to work with helps????
    Have you had an MRI? I haven't had the surgery yet but last year my upper top right near shoulder blade was unbearable painful...after weeks of not being able to function an MRI showed I had a herniated disc on T5-6...even though it was my neck the pain was in my upper back...basically after a few months it started feeling better but I had two shots a few months apart and that helped too...I will pray for you and hope you find relief soon ❤️
    What have imaging tests shown? Have you been to a neurologist for muscle testing? Have you tried chiropractic or acupuncture? Have you tried yoga?

Do you want to live on pain meds the rest of your life or get to the root cause and fix it?
    Hey it a marathon if you haven't done one. Hell walking to the mailbox is a marathon if you always drive anyway. Start off walking I've done a couple of 5K's. I started off at a little at a time . Half mile to mile and so on and so on till I made it to my goal. I walk everyday one day for speed then for distance everyday yes everyday even in rain. I hate it I'm a sun loving person but yes in rain, cold go to gym train your body buy some walking shoes get a walking app I like myfitness walk it's the best thing in my life to keep me motivated. Now I'm going to warn you once you do this 5K it's like tattoos you are going to want to do another and another very addictive. I'm looking for my third this year I would have never guessed that three yrs ago yes 3 you can do this just focus and you've got this. (p.s. you can walk or run but the shoes are very important get so good shoes hurt feet is a runner/walkers nightmare and drink a lot of water.)
    I was a big walker both before and after surgery. About a year after surgery I started running small sections of my walk. I started easy, with the downhill parts. Then I just worked up gradually. Finally I could run all but the steep uphills. Then I added them. Now I can run 5 miles. So I guess my advice is start by walking and then work up to running with "baby steps." (Probably just what that couch to 5K thing does...)

Music really helps my motivation, currently it's the soundtrack to Hamilton!
    I am a runner and have done many races and distances. Your shoulder and neck pain is probably due to hunching a little so make sure to keep your abs in tight, your shoulders back and your head up and looking in front of you and not to the ground. If you are new to running do 30 second jogs and 1-2 minute walks for the entire distance you are going. Once that becomes easy decrease your walk time and slowly increase your jog time. Make sure you stretch well afterwards. Oh and the most important thing is to make sure you have the right shoes. It is definitely worth the investment. If you have a local running store they can help you find the right one. Best of luck!
    I second couch to 5k. I haven't actually ran a 5k. However, pre-surgery, I wasn't able to run at all. After completing the couch to 5k program, I'm able to run two full miles which is quite and achievement for me. Just had surgery last week and one of my goals is to run a 5k!
    5k is only three miles
    I lot of my friends have downloaded the app couch to 5k and it has helped them get ready.
    a 5k is not a marathon..a marathon is 26.2 ish miles and months of training is recommended..A 5k is really not a big deal to complete unless you plan on running the entire time which is not recommended by Galloway.
    SpringRose, I am also about 2 1/2 years out, and I can attest how it can still be a bit of a struggle. Sugar is the devil, and I also love my flavored coffee! However, dance class is my friend, and working out really does work the pounds off!
    Wow, that's horrible, what you went through...and all under doctors orders! From everything I've read Wellbutrin actually makes anxiety worse so I'm really surprised the second doc added that. No wonder your first doc freaked. I'm glad you are getting some things sorted out. For me, the Wellbutrin has been a lifesaver but I don't have anxiety issues. It's certainly not the "happy pill" some people describe, but it's brought me out of the black into at least a charcoal grey existence.

As for your diet plan, that's such an individual thing. There is no one size fits all or magic numbers of carbs/calories/protein that works for everyone. How were you doing with your loss prior to the Wellbutrin screwing everything up? If that was working I'd go back to that. IMHO Trying to purposely stretch your stomach in order to eat fewer meals seems like a dumb idea. I've lost all my weight and maintained over 1 1/2 years all while eating small amounts 6-8 times/day. I do eat a variety of protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains but I definitely get more protein than carbs.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast