Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIs4Me
    U can order a book from amazon called weight loss surgery cookbook for dummies, it is a pretty good book with quite a few recipes. U will do fine, I just know it!
    I saw it but wasn't sure if it was worth the money. Thanks for the suggestion - I will definitely check it out now.
    U can order a book from amazon called weight loss surgery cookbook for dummies, it is a pretty good book with quite a few recipes. U will do fine, I just know it!
    Quote Originally Posted by teresaloves2trvl
    I eat a lot of chicken, tuna, eggs, beans, pasta, ground beef, steak, salad, soups, you name it. I didn't think I would ever be able to eat salad or rice again but I can. Salad came months after I started solid food though. Be careful and add foods a little at a time. Meats need to be tender and easy to chew. Chew your food very, very well!!! Foods like apples and cucumbers should be peeled before you eat them and the cucumbers should have the seeds removed. My nutritionist said if you just HAVE to have some popcorn then DON'T eat the husk part. Stay away from greasy fried foods. One of my favorite things to eat is a Subway Cold Cut Combo but I can only eat half of a 6 inch and even then I peel away much of the bread. Stay away from raw carrots for awhile. Your tummy is not ready for that. Be careful of fruits and veggies with small seeds and tough skins as they can clog up your sleeve. Tomatoes I have never had an issue with but the only raw carrot I have had is the very thinly shaved kind that often comes in salad mix. Raw celery is a no-no. This may sound weird but I have found jerky to be a good source of protein along with nuts. You wouldn't think a dried piece of meat would be something easy to eat after this surgery but I have found I am not the only one who has eaten this for extra protein. Its high in protein and low in carbs. Read labels and check fast food chain websites for calorie counts. I remember a Popeye's chicken leg has I think 140 calories, for example. Everyone is different so you will have to find what foods work for you.

Hi!

I'm just a newbie taking this all in - what's the thought process behind no celery? Do you know? Kinda sad at that one, as I like it.
    Thanks Niamh and JRenee63 for the ideas, suggestions and support. Both of you have given me some great ideas on how to manage this transition.

I appreciate you all.
    I am finding it difficult to eat much and especially food with more than one ingredient. ODD, I know, but it's true. I am doing a lot of high protein snack like foods. Deli turkey, turkey jerky, fruit, nuts, shrimp, scallops, plain fish baked, eggs, protein shakes and bars, raw veggies, greek yogurt, those little cottage cheese doubles. I can easily eat these throughout the day with no issues, but when I try to cook a small meal with a few ingredients, I can't tolerate it just yet. I'm 7 weeks out and got the go ahead at 5 weeks to eat whatever I wanted. I tried, believe me, but heavy foods don't agree with me right now, so high protein snacking is all I do throughout the day. Good luck to you.
    If you want to, you can make changes gradually - you don't need to freak yourself out all at once. I kept on with protein drinks during the day for the first few months because managing food at work was a challenge for me. At night I started introducing lean meats for dinner.

Have a look at the daily menu thread someone posted above - will give you an idea about the huge variety that people are eating here.
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions and the support.

I think I needed the support more than anything else. The "terror" of it all took me by surprise. I think the fact that I have "cruised along" thus far has been a blessing - and a curse in away.

I will definitely check out that menu thread. I will take it slow and only add new foods when I know I will be home and new a toilet.

I tried some FF refried beans with cheese today...and that was NO BUENO.....still feeling the effects of that.

Again - thank you all so much.....this site rocks!
    LOL. I just realized I said stay away from greasy fried foods and then mentioned Popeyes. Hey we all know we are gonna have a bite now and then!
    I eat a lot of chicken, tuna, eggs, beans, pasta, ground beef, steak, salad, soups, you name it. I didn't think I would ever be able to eat salad or rice again but I can. Salad came months after I started solid food though. Be careful and add foods a little at a time. Meats need to be tender and easy to chew. Chew your food very, very well!!! Foods like apples and cucumbers should be peeled before you eat them and the cucumbers should have the seeds removed. My nutritionist said if you just HAVE to have some popcorn then DON'T eat the husk part. Stay away from greasy fried foods. One of my favorite things to eat is a Subway Cold Cut Combo but I can only eat half of a 6 inch and even then I peel away much of the bread. Stay away from raw carrots for awhile. Your tummy is not ready for that. Be careful of fruits and veggies with small seeds and tough skins as they can clog up your sleeve. Tomatoes I have never had an issue with but the only raw carrot I have had is the very thinly shaved kind that often comes in salad mix. Raw celery is a no-no. This may sound weird but I have found jerky to be a good source of protein along with nuts. You wouldn't think a dried piece of meat would be something easy to eat after this surgery but I have found I am not the only one who has eaten this for extra protein. Its high in protein and low in carbs. Read labels and check fast food chain websites for calorie counts. I remember a Popeye's chicken leg has I think 140 calories, for example. Everyone is different so you will have to find what foods work for you.
    I have found this thread VERY useful as I mentally prepare for the various meal stages: http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/g...enu-today.html

Best of luck!!
    A lot of it will be just making sure you can tolerate certain foods. Then you will build from there. I eat a lot of pork, eggs, cheese, meatballs, chicken, ham, I eat a lot of concoctions made from cauliflower...like faux rice, mock a foni and cheese, even tortillas! You will have to get creative. When you can only eat a little (you will not be able to eat as much as the stage your on now) you want it to taste good. I also use Dreamfields pasta (has lots of protein). I break apart the angel hair, toast it in a pan and add a couple of cans of diced tomatoes, garlic, jalepenos and salt for a homemade Spanish rice. Good luck!!
    Don't freak out. Start slow and see what works for you. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevsma
    Congrats! I got mine out yesterday and unfortunately have now developed an infection there.

The dr will call in antibiotics tmw.

Oh no. The antibiotics will fix you right up. I wish you a speedy recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by enh0177
    That's outstanding news. Congratulations. Who did your surgery? Dr. Paul Macik will be doing mine.
    Dr. Titus Duncan with Real Results and Peachtree Bariatrics. I attended a lot of seminars including one for Dr. Macik before deciding on Dr. Duncan. His credentials were outstanding and he had a reputation of not being afraid to operate on folks on the higher end of the scale (the 300s, 400s, 500s).
    Wowsers!!! Great results - awesome job! I won't have to come home with a drain, but I had one years ago when I had knee surgery and I, too, remember the removal being a very very weird feeling, lol. Glad you got it removed! =)
    That's outstanding news. Congratulations. Who did your surgery? Dr. Paul Macik will be doing mine.
    Congratulations! Way to go!
    Congrats! I got mine out yesterday and unfortunately have now developed an infection there.

The dr will call in antibiotics tmw.
    glad to hear it is out. and it sounds like you are doing great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lashauntey
    congrats!!!!!!! Why did you have the drain for so long??

I had a total of 6 incisions including my belly button. My doctor left it in to help combat infection setting up in my tummy.
    congrats!!!!!!! Why did you have the drain for so long??
    That's great!
    Woohoo!!! Good to hear!!!
    AMEN!!! Great post.
    Great news!!! Good for you!!! Hope my recovery goes as smoothly as yours.
    Well said! Your commitment is inspiring! Way to go.
    How inspiring!!
    great post, you have a good head on your shoulders which will make you successful!
    WTG girl! Nice read post the best of luck to you on your journey
    Wonderful post....thank you. You are a true inspiration.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast