Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

lol yes! i actually asked the nurse after surgery " are you sure you guys did the surgery" because i didnt feel any pain, guess we are lucky
    I thought the same too! The recovery was painless for me.. made me wonder did the doc really do the surgery on me? Got my confirmation that it was actually done when I saw the Xray of my stomach during my Barium Swallow test
    I totally understand! I felt the exact same way plus I had all my enerjy back by day 4 so I really felt like I hadn't done anything to myself until I drank a little too much, and then I knew LOL. The hardest part for me is to remember to eat or drink. I work on projects all day and sometimes will get so wrapped up that when I look up I realize I haven't eaten or had a drink and 4 hours have gone by. Best of luck.
    Yeah it is amazing isn't it. Things will be a bit more challenging when you move to puréed food and then on to solids....it's a whole different experience.
    Thank you for the encouragement.
    No stalls for 8 to 12 months?! That does not sound realistic so just prepare yourself when that three week stall hits. Its seems impossible to stall when you only take in like 300 to 500 calories a day but it happens. Just keep going when it does hit.
    Best wishes! Hope you are stall free. Get in your liquids, protein and avoid slider food.
    I too had this. Mine followed was just like AuburnTigers10. My surgery was done in New Lenox, Illinois.
    I had both. The leak test was done the next morning after my surgery. My drain was taken out a few hours before being discharged & my surgery was done in Dallas. Texas that is. Depends on the surgeon, I do believe.
    I did not have drain or leak test. It's doctor preference. I asked my doctor and he said he doesn't do that or need to.
    Surgeon preference
    I had my surgery in NY and did not have a drain put in. I also did not have a leak test. As teresa said, it does seem to be more common with doctors in Mexico. Maybe since they will not be doing any of the follow up care?
    It seems to be more common with surgeries performed in Mexico. I didn't have one.
    Hello, well it depends on the surgeon, if you look on youtube....put in the search box....gastric sleeve.......there is a video of the procedure and the placement of the drain that comes to the outside with a suction bulb on the end to drain any blood/fluids that accumulates during/after the surgery and it is emptied usually daily, there is a leak test done 1-2 days after the surgery, where you drink some blue/purple liquid if the stomach has a leak in it .....it will come thru the drain tube, then your surgeon will know that it has a leak....which is a biggie!! The medical term for this tube/bulb is called a Jackson-Pratt ....you can search it also, to better understand how it functions.......good luck!!.....I would rather have one than not (helps with the swelling also)
    Hi All,

I had my 3rd month check up with my Dr and he agrees with all of you. I have done a lot of research and believe I will be getting the sleeve. I had also heard horror stories about the band.

Thank you all for your advise. I will continue my journey and look forward to all of your support.
    Like most people here...SLEEVE!!!!

I know of so many people who have the band who hate it every day...compared to the hundreds of people who have nothing but good things to say about the sleeve!
    I had the band in '09 and only lost 50 pounds in three years and needed to lose about 125 pounds. I had my band removed and now scheduled to get the sleeve. I had too many problems with the band and could never have the right amount of fills. It seemed like there was an "art" to getting a proper fill. Good luck to you.
    My husband has the band and hates it. He has had so much discomfort and refuses to get fills anymore because he can't swallow when he has a fill. He's lost about 45 lbs in 2 years. He needed to lose at least 100.
    SLEEVE!!!!! And I say this because I personally know SO many people that have had problems with the band!!!!! One of them being a really good friend that after losing 90 pounds ending up in the hospital after eating Tuna salad AND ending up having emergency surgery to remove the band after complications!!!!! Best of luck to you on this journey!!!!!!
    Sleeve, I was scheduled for lap-band and changed 45 min before surgery and I am soooo glad... More successful, less complications...
    do your research there are instances where the band has caused erosion and it has also been known to slip. Just my humble opinion.
    Sleeve. I am a nurse, after weighing all the benefits the sleeve seems to have the best results with the longest success rate.
    sleeve--I work in healthcare and have seen some issues with band patients. my surgeon doesn't even do the lap band anymore.