Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Nursesydney17

Water, Vitamins, Protein, Water, Water, Water

Rate this Entry
I decided to write about my experience thus far with the dehydration, minimal proetin intake, and forcing my vitamins down. Even though I am only 2 weeks post op I feel like I am creating my own routine for food/vitamins/protein.
I will admit the first week I did NOT focus on protein, at all, whatsoever. Im sure if my surgeon were reading this I would get a stern lecture. But I am writing this honestly. I will say that I attempted one sip of protein shake and after throwing it up I signed off on all types of protein for the next few days. My body (new stomach) was not prepared for all of the artificial ingredients, chemical flavors, and overhaul of vitamins. I love eggs, so most of my protein right now comes from my diet. I purchased different protein powders that I plan to have some fun with in the next few days to see what works(tastes) the best for me. Suggestions are absolutely welcome.
I will also admit that hearing 'sip, sip, sip' from all my providers just started to annoy me. I wanted to gulp ice cold water. I dreamed about chugging water. I did not anticipate the dry mouth that would accompany the gastric sleeve. The first week was unbearable, I didnt know how much my new stomach could hold so I was overly cautious and always thirsty. It is about trial and error (im guessing that it will be that way for the first month), the amount of food, the type of food, how quickly I can eat something. The second week, as the pain and the fear of bursting your new stomach begin to fade, drinking water more frequently starts to feel natural.
The vitamins I purchased are Bariatric Advantage Ultra Multi Formula with Iron, Bariatric Advantage Dry Vitamin D, and Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Chewy Bites 500 mg Calcium. They are what my surgeon recommended and while im sure they are extremely overpriced I felt safe purchasing vitamins specifically for a bariatric patient. As of right now I am taking my multivitamin 3 times a day. IT IS A STRUGGLE. It is a very large capsule and sometimes I have to drink more water than I would like to in order to get the capsule down. I also feel full for a little bit after taking my vitamin. The calcium chew flavor I chose is tropical orange which, to me, tastes like an orange creamsicle mixed with a starburst- love it.

I love my sleeve. I still cant believe im saying that after I swore up and down that I ruined my life with this procedure. Once I can find a USB cable I will upload my before picture, and my before before pictures where I was a skinny athlete!

Sleeve on my friends!

Submit "Water, Vitamins, Protein, Water, Water, Water" to Digg Submit "Water, Vitamins, Protein, Water, Water, Water" to del.icio.us Submit "Water, Vitamins, Protein, Water, Water, Water" to StumbleUpon Submit "Water, Vitamins, Protein, Water, Water, Water" to Google

Comments

I am 6 days post op and i understand about those nasty tasting protein shakes. I just ordered UNJURY protein shakes and they should be delivered tomorrow. I heard alot of good reviews so I'm hoping I like them. Choosing a good one is also by trial and error but that could get expensive. I'm doing well holding down my water and shakes. I can't eat any food for another 2 weeks so I'm a little afraid when I start that part. The artificial sweetners in the shakes are awful but it's only temporary. I will try to get all my protein from food. It will get better. The most important is not getting dehydrated. Look into the Unjruy protein shakes and read the reviews. I always read reviews before I purchase anything. Hang in there. It will be worth it
    I think it is BJ Bariatrics has some fruit flavored protein powders that are more pleasant, you may try them. I like the fuzzy navel kind, it's like orange. They can send you a variety pack and you can try them all.
    I am also two weeks post. I have been doing ok getting the water in, not 64 oz a day but I find each day is getting easier. Actually, everyday is different on what I am able to consume. I personally am sick of the artical taste of these protein drinks and am not getting enough protein.
    Yesterday I tried New Whey Protien Shot (tube) it wasn't as bad as the Protien Water Shot (which was like drinking cough syrup!). The New Whey Shot has 42grams of Protien in not a lot of liquid, so I suffered thru it. I am due to drink one now and I can't bring myself to do it, but I have to. I only had about 3oz of yogurt today and about 40oz of water. I guess just do your best each day and try to improve on yesterday.
    Oh, I also forgot to mention all my vitamins I can dissolve. You might want to ask you Dr office about vitamins that you can dissolve in your mouth. I can't swallow big pill at all so I was glad for that.
    I am 1 week out and am managing the changes. The HARDEST is crushing my pills. I cringe each morning and evening when I have to take them. I had EAS chocolate shake (premade) and I Mia the powder and it is ok. OMG. In the hospital they mixed them with water !!!!!!��. I bought isopure zero carb -is good but very sweet and leaves slime in your mouth! I stay with them because they are 4o grams of protein. I go to the dr on the 7th. I CANT WAIT TO EAT MUSH!!!!!! IVe been dreaming of egg salad, scrambled eggs. Oh. Unjury chicken soup is good but you have to drink it practically cold or the protein clumps!! I have a friend having surgery in feb so I can give her plenty to try
    Sugar Free popsicles saved me from dehydration. they are cold and keep your mouth moist.
    Hi,
    Sounds like things are going well for you. I had big issues with protein drinks so am eating my protein now, I puree eggs with a small amount of mayo and mustard and have a deviled egg, One seems perfect now, I have also been making soup - Cream of Crab and Cheesy Fish Chowder.
    They both have tons of protein and taste good too! The crab and fish are soft and go down easily!
    Good luck in your adventure! I am looking forward to the ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by MomOfTwins
    I am also two weeks post. I have been doing ok getting the water in, not 64 oz a day but I find each day is getting easier. Actually, everyday is different on what I am able to consume. I personally am sick of the artical taste of these protein drinks and am not getting enough protein.
    Yesterday I tried New Whey Protien Shot (tube) it wasn't as bad as the Protien Water Shot (which was like drinking cough syrup!). The New Whey Shot has 42grams of Protien in not a lot of liquid, so I suffered thru it. I am due to drink one now and I can't bring myself to do it, but I have to. I only had about 3oz of yogurt today and about 40oz of water. I guess just do your best each day and try to improve on yesterday.
    I purchased a box of New Whey Protein Shots off of amazon thinking that oh its such a small amout of liquid. WRONG. I feel like im eating slime and for some reason my mind tricks me into thinking that im eating moldy slime! Even though im looking at what im drinking my mind wont allow it. I plan on trying in a few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by adoptapup
    I am 6 days post op and i understand about those nasty tasting protein shakes. I just ordered UNJURY protein shakes and they should be delivered tomorrow. I heard alot of good reviews so I'm hoping I like them. Choosing a good one is also by trial and error but that could get expensive. I'm doing well holding down my water and shakes. I can't eat any food for another 2 weeks so I'm a little afraid when I start that part. The artificial sweetners in the shakes are awful but it's only temporary. I will try to get all my protein from food. It will get better. The most important is not getting dehydrated. Look into the Unjruy protein shakes and read the reviews. I always read reviews before I purchase anything. Hang in there. It will be worth it
    PLEASE let me know if you enjoy the unjury protein. I've read a few reviews about it but havent decided to pull the trigger.
    I am not quite two weeks. The clear liquid was easy and no problems. Puree has been a problem in that I have had no stamina. I think it is better today. I used to not eat until noon other than coffee many times a day. If today is the way I need to do this then I have to start early and get a healthy amount of protein in per meal so that I don't feel weak in the afternoon. It seems to be a learning curve. I'm not hungry so hard to know when full. I have some of the protein shots in watermelon. They are not too bad. I haven't tried to puree eggs. I think I will try that
    If it makes you feel better, I'm three weeks out and only just starting to try to get my quota for protein. I haven't achieved it yet! I spent the first two weeks battling dehydration and then had puree stuck. (Who knew that could happen). Am just braving up to puree again now!
    I am in the EXACT same situation. I literally have resorted to setting my stopwatch on my phone every 5 minutes to remind myself to sip. If I sip too soon I get that lovely gas pains in my left shoulder. It is all about dry mouth and chapstick right now. I just hope the swelling goes down enough for when I start my protein shakes on day 8. Popsicles have been a savior!
    I did find little packages of pocket protein. I think it is about 3 oz of liquid protein. I bought it at wegmans (grocery store) and they had no real good or bad flavor. I only used them briefly but they may be an option.