Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Oh Lisa

Help? Anyone with sleep reflux?

Rate this Entry
Twice since I've been sleeved I feel like I'm having horrid reflux that almost makes me feel like I'm choking. The worst part is the medicine taste so I'm wondering if I'm taking my BP meds too close to bedtime and they don't dissolve enough and reflux back up. It's a horrid feeling and I can't get the taste out of my throat. I started taking them a few hours before bedtime now. But then it happened again last night. I do take an OTC sleep aid so I'm wondering if its not dissolving totally and just floats back up when I lay down. Does anyone have any good suggestions. I have a hard time shutting my brain off and really can't sleep well without an aid. I'm almost 3 wks out so its hard to get a full glass of water in like I did when taking the pill before. Thanks - signed sleepless with the sleeve.

Submit "Help?  Anyone with sleep reflux?" to Digg Submit "Help?  Anyone with sleep reflux?" to del.icio.us Submit "Help?  Anyone with sleep reflux?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Help?  Anyone with sleep reflux?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congratulations on your surgery!

I had one scary episode a few days after surgery, I went to see my doctor the following day and besides reminding me to take all the prescribed medications he suggested that I sleep on an incline, which he said he recommends to all his patients. Slept on pillows for a few days, while waiting for an incline mattress pad for my bed. It was another good investment on my health and recovery. I haven't had any more problems since.

I also avoid most greasy and acidic producing foods, but if I have something that gives me a sense of heartburn I take a chewable Pepsid and problem avoid.

Best of wishes on your recovery.
    Have you considered something like Prilosec? That's helped me quite a bit. And I agree with Shirl that sleeping inclined can help. Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice. I started sleeping in an incline and so far so good. I started taking my meds earlier in the evening also. I also started taking only half a sleep aid pill and it's working just as good. Maybe all this new energy is making me ready for bed! Hopefully I won't need it in the future. Thank you all!
    Post-op, my surgeon prescribed a strong antacid (a proton pump inhibitor called Protonix / pantaprozole sodium). I took it for 6 months, then switched back to my regular antacid (an H2 blocker antacid called Ranitidine, or Zantac if you buy it over the counter).

They worked for me.

BTW, those who do have reflux are cautioned not to eat 2 hours before bedtime or lying down. It's also smart to avoid reflux-inducing foods at night, e.g., tomato sauces, alcohol, chocolate, etc. There are hundreds of articles online about reflux lifestyle modifications that really do work well. Good luck.
    If it is really bad you might also try Mylax, it will help right away. Inclinde is also a really good idea.