Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Merebrilliance

Six weeks!

Rate this Entry
Well, as of Tuesday, I am 6 weeks post-op. Luckily, I have had a pretty easy time transitioning from surgery. I am finally able to eat more solid foods...woohoo!

Some of my favorite foods right now are homemade (fat-free, sugar-free) coleslaw, pickles, and a homemade (fat-free) apple crumble with one tbsp honey. Of course I have to chew everything very well, but I am not having really any issues with gastric pains.

There are some things I have tried, some more than once, that I have decided to stay away from because they do cause me stomach pain: potatoes, noodles of any kind (tofu, whole wheat, white, egg, ramen, rice, bean threads), cauliflower, and muscle milk (causes gas).

I have not really tried too many foods, but I have found that I can handle vegetables better than carbohydrates, which really works better for me caloric wise.

I have been counting calories, some say this is bad, but it works for me. I am not obsessing about my calories or weight, but I want to keep an accurate check on what I am eating and how many calories these foods really contain. I use the Spark People app on my iPhone, it is amazing! I also use this app to track my fitness for each day, my weight every Tuesday, and my daily water intake. It also helps me visualize my progress with graphs.

I started to use a visual aid to help motivate me in this journey. I have two glass vases, one vase contains glass beads: one bead for each pound I need to lose to reach my goal of 150 starting from my pre-op diet weight of 337, the other vase contains glass beads representing the pounds I have already lost: one bead for each pound. I always hear I am losing weight from the people around me, and while I know I am losing weight, it is hard for me to see it, I just feel it. I need visuals, it keeps me motivated.

I started work this past week, and was a little sore my first days back on the job, which is a physically demanding job, but it has kept me active. I am trying to find a balance between drinking enough fluids, eating enough nutrition, and working. It can get a little busy at the hospital, and I find myself forgetting to drink...no bueno! But, I am sure I will get in a groove soon.

My goal for this week:
*Attend 1 zumba class
*Walk at the gym 4 days
*Drink 64ozs of H20 per day
*Do 10 wall push-ups per night
*Make one motivational poster
*Finish refinishing my table

Submit "Six weeks!" to Digg Submit "Six weeks!" to del.icio.us Submit "Six weeks!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Six weeks!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I love the vase and beads idea. Great way to keep you motivated.
    I love the glass and beads idea too. You don't mention your protein intake. Are you getting your daily requirement in? The reason I ask is that I would love to eat more veg and salad etc but I have always been told to eat the high protein stuff first and by the time I have done that I am full. I know that many vegetables and fruits do have a certain amount of protein in them but I find that the protein content of these foods is nowhere near high enough to provide the daily protein requirement. I would love to hear how you are going with this.