Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

johnsvh1

First Day Home

Rate this Entry
Today is my first day home after my sleeve. I want to take a second a talk about the process at the hospital for anyone interested or about to go through it.

I arrived and had more blood drawn for the anesthesiologist. My tech was the same one I have had in the past-I've seen her when she first got a new boyfriend, when the boyfriend was meeting the protective brother, and now the boyfriend met the family over Christmas and all went well! After that and a urine test (on no liquids for 10 hours!) I went upstairs and was admitted to the hospital. I changed in to my gown-tried it on four or five times to figure out which was was front-and then everyone came in to check in-ask my name and bday 8 times and get me set! Oh, and another pregnancy test. ALL WILL BE NEGATIVE.

Then they came in and got me and wheeled me in to the surgery room. There everyone that I had seen over the past few months was all in one place. It didn't look much like the operating rooms of Greys but an all female surgical staff was pretty kick ass! They asked me where I wanted to to go-I assume most people say places like Fiji-I didn't realize it was an imagery game-so I said Iceland was on my list. My last memory was everyone just kind of laughing saying they packed the wrong imaginary suitcase that morning.

I woke up in post-op very nauseated. I kept slipping back to sleep so they held off on giving me medicine. Finally, they dosed me up when I reached for the tech's hand to throw up in. After that I was wheeled to my room where I stayed for the next 24 hours.

Over the next 24 hours I was in pain. They said some of it was the incision sites and other parts were the CO2 they pump in to you. I was double dosed on morphine and tylenol as well as nausea medication to stabilize. My mother complained about my snoring-which was waking both of us up-but her's isn't too pleasant either so that came with the breathing tube territory. I had requested to have the catheter removed during surgery which was so kind they did-but that did mean I had to get up more to try and urinate. Which wasn't so hard-it was just like an old person-trickle trickle.

The next morning was better and I completed my 4 laps and 36 ounces by 1pm and was home by 6pm. I had two great friends send out emails to everyone letting people know I was okay. Its hard to say "no don't bring food!" without a real reason but hopefully plenty of Propel Zero will come knocking. And have received gorgeous flowers as well.

Since being home the three hardest things
1. Finding a position that is comfortable with enough support to sleep
2. Managing the incision/gas pain
3. Not killing my mother (she is not the born caretaker-leaving the key in the door last night, snoring louder than me, trying to take away my iPad, sneakily trying to reduce my pain meds...) But she is doing her kindest

If anyone has any tips on managing what I really do believe is the leftover gas from inflating my stomach would love to hear! Or what sleep positions you found the most comfortable? And any other 2 day post-op stories-that you would like to share-I would be grateful.

Small steps every day!

Submit "First Day Home" to Digg Submit "First Day Home" to del.icio.us Submit "First Day Home" to StumbleUpon Submit "First Day Home" to Google

Comments

1. Are you a side sleeper? I have one of those body pillows and was able to sleep partially on my left side while hugging the top of the pillow and having the bottom section between my knees. Usually, I'd wake up on my back, much more comfortable for incisions but hard to fall asleep on. Never was I able to sleep on the right side. That's where my big incision used to pull out the separated section of my stomach through. You can have your mom get one of those body pillows from Target for 9.99. I wouldn't expect a full nights sleep for a while since you'll probably be sleeping on and off during the day.
    2. You need the full dose of pain meds for incision pain! Your mom shouldn't even think about reducing the dosage until you're like a week out. Mine felt like I was being stabbed all the time to the point where I couldn't get up and down on my own or even bend over to wipe. I loved the hospital beds bc they have those adjustable backs making it easier to get comfortable and get in and out of bed. The only relief I found for incision pain was through the pain meds. I did try ice packs which had a numbing effect but one they thawed out it hurt all over again. As far as gas pain, the only thing that works is walking, even if it's just a shuffle. Some use heating pads on their backs but I have not tried this. Drinking smaller amounts and slowly can help prevent more gas pain too.
    3. I wanted to strangle my mom, who was my care taker right after surgery, and she was a registered nurse! I had the opposite issue where she hovered over me too much and would nag me about everything especially drinking water. Maybe your mom should watch a YouTube video of the surgery to see how serious it is so she can realize how much pain you're in and how much support you need at this time. My husband is the worst caretaker so I was actually lucky to have my mom but sometimes moms just don't seem to listen. Earplugs may help you tune out the snoring. You need to put your foot down and make sure she doesn't try to take things away that you need. Does she have some way to keep herself occupied like a book or something? Can she make jello for you? Maybe you could have her write a log of the medicines you're taking and at what time. That was helpful for my mom and I as it kept us from arguing over how long ago I had taken pain medicine. Plus, it may keep her busy. She could even log your water intake since that is so important right after surgery.
    Just remember, each day will get better and things will become a little easier. I'm 9 days post op and the first few days after are the worst! Best of luck during your recovery!
    I wish you the best recovery possible (regarding number 3 issues )...hopefully you will better soon!

I was reading that many people take Gax X strips to help with the pain from the CO2 but have no idea if it's really effective!

take care