Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Monique

The Mirror is my Friend - Pre-Op day 4

Rate this Entry
Well, day 4 and I've lost 5 pounds. Not too bad.

My bathroom is nice, it has a tub big enough for two normal sized people, a separate shower and toilet room. However, the double vanities are on a long wall that is ALL mirror. You won't believe the lengths I go through to not have to see myself in the mirror after I've taken a shower.

I wonder if other overweight people do that.

This morning, my daughter "B" and I went to see Part Two of the Hunger Games. I loved the books and the movies don't disappoint. After the movie (no popcorn, soda or candy), we went to Gordman's to get Jeans for B.

We've always had a shopping routine (started by my Mom with Me) of picking out a bunch of clothes, going into the dressing room together and I take a seat, take clothes on and off the hanger and she just tries stuff on.

So here we are... in the Gordman's fitting rooms, they are small. I'm plopped on a stool and trying to avoid looking at my LARGE self sitting there. But, I can't avoid the full length mirror, even if I want to.

I can see every roll, every place that "filled out" and places that I didn't know "filled out". I think my middle is bigger than my bustline. When did that happen?

B is leaving to go back to the University tomorrow, we got home and I made her a grilled cheese sandwich. I was tempted to make one for me, but then I realized...

That Mirror IS my friend. It didn't lie to me or show me what I wanted to see, it showed ME... all 5'9" 276 pounds... ACK!!! But the memory will stay with me, and I CAN and WILL say "NO"!

I remember a long time ago, a friend and I were shopping and I wanted Ice cream, she was dieting too and said to Me, "Monique, you can have that ice cream, but when you eat it, you have to stand in front of a mirror, naked..."

She was one smart woman.

Submit "The Mirror is my Friend - Pre-Op day 4" to Digg Submit "The Mirror is my Friend - Pre-Op day 4" to del.icio.us Submit "The Mirror is my Friend - Pre-Op day 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Mirror is my Friend - Pre-Op day 4" to Google

Comments

Thank you for sharing your story. I think most of us think of the mirror as our enemy because we do not like what we see when we look.
    The mirror is still my enemy. LOL. I do not like it but force myself to weigh in in front of my full length mirror naked every morning.
    Great story Monique, I can really relate
    Great story! One of my goals with surgery is the ability to be able to look in the mirror fully and like what I see!
    More scarey than a mirror is w hen someone takes my picture. I think I look awful (which I probably do). I freak out and when I see the picture I am totatly mortified. No one in my family understands and they continue to photograp and post. Usually I look in the mirror and just say to myself that I look disgusting.
    I am looking at the mirror more these days! I avoided it pre surgery unless it was necessary.
    You are going to feel so much better by summer. lol
    Monique, loved your story. You are one really great woman, who is going to be a great success.