Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

December

14 days since surgery...

Rate this Entry
14 days. Wow, it feels like a lifetime ago, I was a fat happy-go-lucky girl who really needed help getting fitter and healthier. Now I'd give anything to go back there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really pleased I had the surgery ... I HAD to have the surgery to have any chance of a normal life. But along with my surgery, I also had my gall bladder removed. And since then, it's been hell. Serious. Complete. Painful. Hell.

With the WLS, when you've eaten enough or too fast or too much, you tend to belch. This is a warning sign saying "Stop. Wait. See how you feel in a few minutes." I appreciate this about the gastric sleeve. It's polite and gently reminding you that you have a tiny tummy now. Thank you for that tummy - I appreciate you and am listening.

Gallbladder, on the other hand, is the evil nemesis to tummy and you take a bite (no matter if it's the first or the fifth) and then, WHOOPS, you vomit immediately. In ridiculous amounts of pain on my right side only (the left side is controlled by the tummy, the right side by the ex-gall bladder) you take two pain pills. With water. Which immediately comes back up. Every freaking time.

And as with most surgery, Mr Colon is no cooperating and constipation is an issue. If it isn't, then you are obviously off your pain meds, because if nothing else, they will clog you up better than an plumber at Franklin Dam. So I expected to be somewhat constipated and I was willing to forgive Mr Colon because I knew he'd been through a lot. And the hospital gave me some Movicol to take to get my bowels moving. Of course, this would be a great idea if I could keep anything down, like ummm, well Movicol for starters!

The pain has been so extraordinary that the hospital discharged me, AND THEN they disconnected my PCA machine (patient controlled analgesic). When I returned home, I couldn't bend, couldn't laugh, or sneeze or cough. Two weeks on, and I still can't do it without pain. Severe pain. But things are improving. I have moved out from the lounge room recliner (which was the only place in the house where I could get in and out of without requiring assistance) and to the guest bed. I did try my own bed, but the mattress has a built in extra padding layer, and there's no way my body will allow me to 'climb' that high right now. Maybe next week, I can join my husband in bed. But for now, I'm at least in a bed, in the guest bed. Until last Saturday, I needed help to get in and out of bed. I was on Panadol Forte every six hours with Ibuprofen in between. (Both of these are constipating). I have become dehydrated, irritable, exhausted and frankly am completely unable to cope with anything right now.

Luckily, I have a fantastic support network. My BFF has been extraordinary, going above and beyond to be helpful. My husband blows me away with his thoughtfulness and I have a great GP and Psych as well. I saw my GP today. She told me that in her books this is a successful surgery, despite the issues at hand, because "let's face it, you've undergone two major surgeries, and any problems you're facing are just things we need to find solutions for". She also said that if I vomit one more time I'm to go straight to the Emergency Department.

I've read on here about how so many people have had the surgery and then gone for a jog the next week, lost 12 kg in the first week and felt amazing. And I wanted that to be me. I wanted it to be me here writing about how fabulous I feel. But I can't.

All I can do is try to be honest about what's going on with me. And frankly, it sucks to be me right now. On the upside, I have lost 6kg. Which is a pittance, I know, and yes, I do feel like a complete failure considering that weight loss includes 1.5 organs, but it is better than gaining. Also, my stomach has stopped being so distended so that's a bonus. And today my dressings were removed. Well the WLS ones anyway... two remained because they are where the gallbladder was removed and are infected and aren't healing well. Oh yes, joy again you mongrel gallbladder... no wonder Tummy is so pissed off with you!

I have moved from all liquid to a combination of liquid and pureed foods in the hope this helps me keep stuff down. Some foods like me, others don't. Custard and rice pudding are my new best friends, and pureed steak is not. Which is a shame really because I am a true carnivore!

And if nothing else, this journey is teaching me that no matter how well I plan for every contingency, or how much I try to make sure I am prepared for any outcome, that my Mr Gallbladder will still bite me in the arse. Last time you ever can, sucker!

Submit "14 days since surgery..." to Digg Submit "14 days since surgery..." to del.icio.us Submit "14 days since surgery..." to StumbleUpon Submit "14 days since surgery..." to Google

Comments

I had my gallbladder out at the same time and yes, it was a tough recovery. Just give yourself a couple of weeks and it will get better. I wasn't jogging week 2 but I did take short walks after about 3 weeks. Give yourself time to heal but don't give up. You are worth it. I depend on protein shakes, after going through loads of them to find one I could tolerate but it is all good. Good luck.
    one word: suppositories
    I'm two weeks out and have lost 6 kilos. Not a pittance in my book....when was the last time you lost 3kgs a week??
    How did you find Dr Bowden as a surgeon