Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

mangomaid

Dining out after surgery

Rate this Entry
I got sleeved 10 days ago and today we took a friend out for lunch in our local village gastro-pub.

It was great to get out and I learnt some useful lessons in the process.

First - I called them yesterday and asked what soups they had on the menu. Sweetcorn and chorizo? a definite no-no on many fronts, even if liquidised.
So I explained that I had just had some abdominal surgery and could only eat light liquidised soup. They went off to consult the chef, who said he would be happy to make me some spinach soup. Tick! Lesson one: call in advance & order what you need.

When we arrived, they asked what drinks we wanted. My mistake was to ask for some pressed apple juice. So I sipped slowly at apple juice and got filled up. Instead I should have stuck with water and ignored it for 30 minutes. Lesson two: stick to water and stop drinking early.

Then I had to sit and watch the others eat their delicious looking starters. It was OK. I am on this path and not to be deflected. However it would have been better to ask for the soup to come with their first course, and then I could have taken longer to eat it (rather than sipping apple juice). Lesson three: ask for food to come early.

When my soup arrived it was a lovely vivid green, freshly made and quite delicious. However my sleeve was already full (with only a third of a small bottle of juice) so I could not take much in. British pubs and restaurants are not often asked for doggy-bags, but they found a paper coffee cup which did the job perfectly. Lesson four: carry a container in my bag.

Back home, I've been enjoying the spinach soup in small batches. Spinach soup seems to be a great choice for eating out as it is very quick and easy to make, relatively lo-cal, and adds to the protein points.

I'm still getting to know my sleeve and learning to judge quantities, and even after a small lunch I felt uncomfortably full.

However I really enjoyed getting out and meeting people, and next time I will be better prepared!

What strategies and tips do you have for eating out in the first 6 weeks?

Submit "Dining out after surgery" to Digg Submit "Dining out after surgery" to del.icio.us Submit "Dining out after surgery" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dining out after surgery" to Google

Comments

Yup, lesson learned. That's what this is all about. Sounds like you passed that one and have so much knowledge for the next time. I always get my soup early so I can eat slowly along with the others, makes them feel more comfy too. You sound like a winner. Cheers
    Ive been out twice, One to norms (they always have soup) and the other to this local bar and grill. I had never been there before so we did call ahead. I felt awkward being the one nursing a cup of soup which my husband still had to finish lol but they didnt even notice honestly.
    Thanks so much for posting - really good useful points, and amazing to see how well you're managing and then responding to the challenges so early on.

Another thought... my dietitian suggested adding neutral protein powder to soups to get protein up - I guess I could even take some out with me to put into the soup if I eat out!
    Great tips-THANKS! Going out with friends in a few weeks, so this helps a lot!
    Thank you for this inofrmation. I will definately remember this. Congrats on doing so well~!
    Great tip , thanks x
    It sounds like you're learning the right lessons as you go along. I also ordered soup when I went to a restaurant initially after surgery and still do, depending upon where I am. I always look up the menu and calories, proteins on-line if I can to be prepared. I went to Outback Steak House a few months ago, showed them my card that said I had abdonimal stomach surgery and they let me order off the kids menu. I ordered the grilled chicken and of course took the majority of it home with me, but it gave me satisfaction that I was in control and I could live with this for the rest of my life.

It's all about our choices and the learning curve along the way. Luckily nothing I've tried to eat thus far has ever caused me problems or come back on me. Thank God! I have been so very careful of that and don't ever want to experience that if I can help it.

I've eaten Wendy's chili, had just the cheese and pepperoni off a slice of pizza last week-end, have also had various soups at places, and the egg souffles at Panera Bread.

Happy eating and discovering what will work for you!
    I have been to lunch twice at work and I always order grilled chicken and steamed vegetables. I usually eat on the food for the rest of the day. I went to one restaurant and all they had was a chicken sandwich so I ordered it plain without bread!
    I scope out restaurant menus before I eat out. Most popular chain restaurants have online menus. Panera Bread has great soups!
    great tip,would be really really useful, thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by niamh
    Thanks so much for posting - really good useful points, and amazing to see how well you're managing and then responding to the challenges so early on.

Another thought... my dietitian suggested adding neutral protein powder to soups to get protein up - I guess I could even take some out with me to put into the soup if I eat out!
    Niamh, did your dietitian recommend any particular brand? I'm using Syntrax Nectar which has lots of interesting flavours, but not a neutral. It would be good to know what other high quality protein powders are available in the UK.
    Wish I had read this before I went out for dinner last night. Friends birthday. Did the mistake of drinking water first, then I ordered just the mustard Mash potato with some cauliflower puree, came out last as they forgot my order. Had 3 fork fulls and bloated, trying not to be sick. So it was all wasted. Must remember a container for next time, I hate wasting food and my kids would have eaten it when I got home. Very hard to watch friends with massive plates of yummy steak and chips.
    Oh another hint for the list, ask for a teaspoon. Easier to eat with when your on purees and mushy food.
    i was released from my dr on day 10 and went and had sushi that night
    I just started this journey and enjoyed your posts very much! Good info!