Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Rjbsmommy

Cream of Wheat

Rate this Entry
So I just started week 2 of post op diet, full liquids, but they said I can cream of wheat too.

I'm so desperate for something more solid than water I bought a box and had my first bowl. (I use that term loosely, more like first couple of spoonfuls) of cream of wheat ever.

I'm pretty convinced that Cream of Wheat is merely sawdust in bag. However today, it's the most delicious sawdust EVER!

Submit "Cream of Wheat" to Digg Submit "Cream of Wheat" to del.icio.us Submit "Cream of Wheat" to StumbleUpon Submit "Cream of Wheat" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I agree with you on the sawdust! I even bought a box of Cream of Rice but never opened it. I only had about 3 servings out of the Cream of Wheat box!
    I used to like that cereal before surgery, however; since surgery...Yuck! I guess it's associated with the beginning stages of post-surgery and I had a little hard time eating anything. I do like grits though and still eat them occassionally! Continued success.
    I LOVED the cream of wheat! there are lots of ways you can flavor it. splenda and a little cinnamon for a rice pudding flavor,or salt and pepper for more savory garlic and cheese, you can play with the consistency too! Also you can add protien powder to get that added protein! I like it best with a little splenda and butter and milk.
    I to like cream of wheat I second everything Rainbow says.
    Rjbsmommy I agree it's some nasty stuff. My tatse buds may change though after surgery. But I do love me some GRITS. you may try them... I love the with a little salt and pepper cooked slow not the instant.
    im sooo jealous! My surgery was 2/21 and my dr say no to anything but clear liquids and protein shakes for three weeks....i need food!!!
    Add some splenda, to sweeten it up girl!

I agree with Rainbow... my grandmother would make my crean of wheat when I was little and I still love it.
    Ya know after it was all said and done, it really wasn't bad, I think I just have to get used to the texture of it. I'll certainly try it again, especially with some of the suggestions you've all given me.
    I had my surgery 2/15 so yesterday was my first day of soft food (2 weeks post op of nothing but liquids). I have made some startling discoveries...my taste buds have changed dramatically. I tried cottage cheese, which I have always loved and it was ok but had a funny taste...like it had gone bad. I asked a coworker to try it to make sure it wasn't just sour...nope...it was just me.

Today, I had a serving of scrambled egg and after 3 small bites, I trashed it. Tasted chemically. Again, I asked a friend to test it...nope, it was just me. At lunch today, I had a small scoop of mashed potatoes...again, tasted horrible...it was just me.

So, I'm back to liquids because at least they are tasting ok to me. It is so funny because I'm really happy that nothing tastes good so I'm not tempted to eat anything. I'm just staying on 60 gms of protein, 64 oz liquids and some soup.
    I agree with Rainbow. A little splenda some milk and you're goo to go. What I really like is a little brown sugar and milk. I need to remember to ask about Splenda's brown sugar, hopefully it's okay too. Anyone know?
    Quote Originally Posted by cab1965
    I had my surgery 2/15 so yesterday was my first day of soft food (2 weeks post op of nothing but liquids). I have made some startling discoveries...my taste buds have changed dramatically. I tried cottage cheese, which I have always loved and it was ok but had a funny taste...like it had gone bad. I asked a coworker to try it to make sure it wasn't just sour...nope...it was just me.

Today, I had a serving of scrambled egg and after 3 small bites, I trashed it. Tasted chemically. Again, I asked a friend to test it...nope, it was just me. At lunch today, I had a small scoop of mashed potatoes...again, tasted horrible...it was just me.

So, I'm back to liquids because at least they are tasting ok to me. It is so funny because I'm really happy that nothing tastes good so I'm not tempted to eat anything. I'm just staying on 60 gms of protein, 64 oz liquids and some soup.
    I too had that chemical taste, it lasted several months. sour things helped but artificial flavors and colors were the WORST! It does help to not want to eat as much! but it also gets a bit depressing because stuff you used to love is ruined! Dont worrie it is not perminant. after about a year your buds get back to normal so just tell yourself that thats part of the gig while you are loosing the weight. once the weight is off the taste will be waiting for you!