Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Journey Tobeme

Eat Meat Mandate

Rate this Entry
I don't like the word vegan. I prefer PB. That means I eat plant based. I do not like to get into political or ethical side of food/dietary lifestyles. I just don't like to eat animals or their products. Such is life. I grew up on a farm (still own it) and I have never cared for consuming it. I admit you don't see many overweight PB, V or VG. But I am. I loved sweets as long as they were vegan . I would overeat just like people who consume SAD. I probably ate more carbs than needed. Overeating though remained my biggest problem.

So here is the first conversation I had with my surgeon.
DR: I see you are vegan.
ME: No I just eat PB
DR: That is vegan. But anyway you must eat meat and dairy for surgery. You will need to do it until at least 6 t post surgery. I can not operate on you if you don't agree.
ME: Well I want surgery no matter what so OK.
DR: Great go see the Nutritionist.

(My worse nightmare come to life)

I started following the post op eating plan and gained 15 pounds in 2 weeks. Great start. Now I have developed my own eating plan and lost that 15 plus a bit more. The truth is my body hasn't had to break down animal products in so long I think it has forgotten.

For now I am eating a clean PB diet. Loading on the protein and watching carbs. I use a PB protein powder. I am not eating anything that is commercially grown or processed aside from my protein shakes. I buy everything else locally or from organic co-ops/growers. As long as I watch my nutrition panels I think this will be fine

Submit "Eat Meat Mandate" to Digg Submit "Eat Meat Mandate" to del.icio.us Submit "Eat Meat Mandate" to StumbleUpon Submit "Eat Meat Mandate" to Google

Comments

I must admit, since I had my surgery I've gotten to where I don't really care for meat. I rarely eat it. I don't like the taste or texture of it anymore. I try to get all my protein thru dairy or protein drinks or shakes. So stand strong. You know your body. Good luck with your surgery and your journey.
    Good for you! You know your own body. Sounds like you're doing the right thing now to make the most of your surgery. Congrats on getting rid of the 15+ pounds. :-)
    Try Rockin Wellness it is a great all natural vegan based protein shake and I would get a second opinion I have never heard of a dr that wanted you to eat more meat to do surgery
    I don't care for meat either. I have always been like this. I wish I did but I have never like meat or eggs.
    Thank you all. I know plant based is best for me. I have weighed all the options. I have internally debated the subject with myself. I have talked it through with my support team. The conclusion always is that I know what is best for me and this surgery/diet plan is not a one size fit all.

Am I willing to lose the weight at the expense of my health in other areas? Absolutely not. I will just quietly eat my own foods (clean, unprocessed plant foods with very limited sugar from fruits only. I will have my PCP monitor my nutritional panel blood labs every few months to ensure I am getting what my body needs.

Thank you for the support and the recommendations.