Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

This Rollercoaster has Been Derailed!

Dumping Ground

Rate this Entry
As someone going through menopause, I have suffered the horror of the Hot Flash!!

As a diabetic, I have known the unique "joy" of diabetic highs and lows, followed by their respective accompanying consequences.

As a bariatric patient, I have now experienced the delightfully new (to me) sensation known as Dumping Syndrome.

Short explanation:
I ate something I shouldn't have and my body made me pay the price.

Long explanation:
I ate something that my new upper digestive tract did not appreciate and/or could not handle. As a result, it "dumped" that food into my intestines to get rid of it. This caused my body to pull water from its reserves to help flush it out as fast as possible.

So what did it feel like? The best description I can give is that it was like a diabetic over-carb mixed with a long hot flash and what felt like the start of food poisoning.

Different people experience different symptoms during "dumping."

My particular symptoms:
  • nausea - I thought for sure I was going to chuck
  • feeling of fullness - but not the same as when I am actually full
  • sweating - not profuse, just surface
  • skin flushing - not sure if it was visible, but I sure felt it
  • fatigue - I wanted nothing more than to go lie down

This lasted about a half hour or so, during which I took a shower to try to cool off.

I lay down for a few moments with a fan blowing on me, but had to get up to visit my throne and expel the source of my distress via means I won't discuss in detail but let's just say it wasn't pleasant.

Once I made it to that last part, all of the other symptoms vanished... poof... gone!

It amazed me how fast the relief came once it was all said and done. The suffering for that half hour though... yeah... I really don't want to repeat that.

Unfortunately, as I am still in the learning stages of my new dietary lifestyle, I have a feeling this won't be the last time.

Submit "Dumping Ground" to Digg Submit "Dumping Ground" to del.icio.us Submit "Dumping Ground" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dumping Ground" to Google

Comments

Thanks for the description...graphic as it may be! Gives me something to watch out for.
    At 13 months out, there have been three times I have stuck my finger down my throat. Twice from chicken breast and once from pasta. Sometimes, getting it out of your system is the best option. No shame in that.
    I still have those once In awhile. Good luck hon
    Thanks for posting.. Some people may be taken back, but not me. As hard as it is sometimes ,to read this is the real thing. Shit Happens lol. I myself have suffer with vomiting and diarrhea that follow, (We refer to bathroom blowout). I've learned if it does"nt go down, it is surely coming up....I feel bad for my family because there the ones outside the restroom, this includes my dog, Asking if they can help..I take these LOVELY MOMENTS as lessons learned. Thanks again for posting I think it helps inform the newbees...Wishing u health, Vegimen from Cali
    I have had moments when I thought "oh, shouldn't have eaten that". I have not experienced a true dumping syndrome but when I do eat something that just won't go down I have found that walking or in some cases pacing in the restaurant bathroom helps it go down. I have only vomited twice since I have been home and both times were due to vitamins. Don't take them on an empty stomach....
    Thanks for posting!
    Thank you for your candidness. It's incredibly helpful to understand exactly what dumping syndrome is.
    Well, I had no idea what dumping syndrome was; so it was very helpful to read this. And now I realize this has happened to me a couple of times! I just did not realize. Now I will know to be more careful about any "cheats" and not do that again!