Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Mikecab4

Surgery date 11/01/17 (5 days post op!)

Rate this Entry
Hey guys,

I’ve had my gastric sleeve surgery preformed on November 1st, 2017 by Dr. George Fielding at NYU hopspital.
First let me start off with the 2-week pre surgery liquid diet. In the beginning I had thought it would be really hard to do but the protein shakes really made me full through the day. I remember probably 1-2 nights of the two weeks where I felt a little hungry so I’d have a sugar free ice pop. My starting weight before the liquid diet was 288 LBS.

Before surgery, I couldn’t have been more confident to want to do anything so life-changing in my entire life. What really helped calm my neves a few days before surgery was watching people’s stories on YouTube about their experience as well as watching a gastric sleeve surgery from start to finish! (Coolest thing ever)

I woke up from surgery at around 12:45 PM on November 1st 2017. The whole thing took about 45 min- 1 hour. By 2:30 that same afternoon, I was out of bed walking with my nurse. I was walking slowly but managed to do 4 laps around the room! Later that day around 5 PM I was transferred to a regular patient room and where I had only spent 24-hrs before I was discharged from the hopsital the next afternoon.

On November 2nd 2017 (day 1 after surgery) at about 4:30 AM I felt nauseous but only for about 10 minutes. (No vomit thank god!)

Before being released I had to complete a swallow test which consisted of drinking 1-Oz of water every 15 minutes. This sounds easy but it was definitely a challenge. I completed about 90% of the goal and was told I was ok for discharge!

Today, Sunday November 5th 2017 I am now on day 5 post-op gastric sleeve surgery and I feel pretty good. I now weigh 266 LBS (down 22 LBs!!!) Sipping water/protein shakes are a pain in the butt but it’s manageable. It gets better over the days.

I have a list of questions I’m hoping most of you could answer or or if your curious check out some responses. Please see below:

1. When/ how long does it take for you to poop after surgery? (I’ve only started to pass gas 2 days ago but haven’t pooped yet)

2. For those people like myself who HATE sleeping on there back, do you have trouble sleeping on your side after surgery?

3. (TMI question) but I have to ask because I’m sure most people are curious.. when can you masturbate/have oral sex after surgery?

4. When you eventually move on to puréed foods/ soft solid foods, do you still have to SIP your liquids?

5. When does the gas go away?

6. After the bandages are removed (about 3 days after surgery) do the incisions have to be covered or should they be left uncovered to breath and heal? Should you apply any antibiotic cream?

Hoping you guys could answer some questions, thank you!

All the best,
Michael C.

Submit "Surgery date 11/01/17 (5 days post op!)" to Digg Submit "Surgery date 11/01/17 (5 days post op!)" to del.icio.us Submit "Surgery date 11/01/17 (5 days post op!)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Surgery date 11/01/17 (5 days post op!)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hey Michael! Congrats on your surgery! It is going to be an amazing ride. I will try to answer your questions but remember that it varies from person to person but I will give you my experience.
    1. I did not poop for like a week. After that I had chronic constipation for the first 10 months. I took stool softeners twice a day and had to give myself 1/3 of an enema every 3 or 4 days to get relief. Make sure you monitor that.
    2. I had to use a body pillow to prop myself into various positions to get comfortable post op. Pillows are your best friend until you can sleep on your stomach again.
    3. Honestly...as long as you feel up to it, there should be no problem. I think I was having sex again like 10 days post op.
    4. When you move on to pureed foods just remember you should not be eating and drinking at the same time. Stop drinking 30 minutes prior to eating and don't drink again until 30 minutes after you eat. You only have to sip until you can tolerate taking bigger drinks. It took me quite a while to hit both my protein and liquid goals. Others can hit them quickly.
    5. Gas as in the CO2 from surgery goes away about a week post op. The gas like burping and farting post op takes a bit longer. You gotta remember out tummy is adjusting to this extreme thing we did.
    6. You should leave your incisions uncovered so they can breathe. You don't need to put anything on them but sometimes when mine were a little sensitive (mainly the big one) I put some Neosporin plus pain on them.
    Once again congrats. And it is going to get easier and easier each day now that you are post op.
    Hey Christie,

Thanks for the reply, this really helps a lot! I am really excited about this slow but amazing journey I am about to embark on.

Thanks!
    Michael
    No problem. Just remember that y our journey is yours and yours alone. You can use others journeys as a guide but know that everyone is different. But I will say that this is an amazing journey. You will be surprised at how quickly you will lose.
    Hi Mike,
    I dont have any answers as my surgery is tommorrow but Christie is your girl for that. You sound like you're doing good! Let us know how you go :-)
    Hey Stacey,

Good luck tomorrow!! Keep in touch, i’d Love to hear about your journey/experience.

All the best,
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecab4
    Hey Stacey,

Good luck tomorrow!! Keep in touch, i’d Love to hear about your journey/experience.

All the best,
    Michael
    Thank you! I will! I shall be knocking about here when I'm conscious :-)
    Wow! Well done Michael for having surgery. All the questions you asked were on my mind too.
    Thanks again Christie for the great answers, they'll help a lot.
    I might take longer on the sex part though. I've lost my libido because of being overweight.
    Hoping I get those feelings back.
    Again, you've done well Michael.
    Hey Jeanious,

Yup, I figured that as well. Thanks for reaching out!

All the best,