Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

jacquidaniels

My journey: I'll wear pink for you

Rate this Entry
I started my life as the chubby child, awkward. I had strawberry blonde hair my mom had permed, brown eyes and a few freckles scattered all over. I was the oldest of two girls. My sister, she was an adorable kid. She had long, light brown hair, big, brown eyes, that were in all reality the same color, shape and size as mine, but I always liked hers better. As we got older, my mom put us in dance lessons and I naturally thinned out. My sister however didn't. She was never phased by being a "bigger girl." I envied my younger sister for her confidence.

Fast forward 15 years and we both have had children and steadily gained weight. Our mother had undergone RNY bypass surgery with great results, although she had had some complications in the beginning. I now found the three of us in a hospital room together as my mother was undergoing once again life threatening complications. This time it was Stage 4 Inflammatory Breast Cancer. My heart was crushed with fear. She was only 48, far too young to die Lord. We needed her still. So many of us know someone who fight against cancer, so I'm sure you know of my mother fighting to her very last breath. How her only concern was ever that of her daughter's.

My mother passed four years ago today. It was in true Shelley fashion. She didn't pass when her older brother, who is an oncology, nurse sat near her and said she was "close." No, Mom waited until her beloved Michigan State Spartans made it into the final four during the NCAA basketball tournament. She was an early riser, who didn't want her loved ones to worry about her. The hospice room my mother was staying in was small, so after the game my sister and I slept in the family room, my uncle in a patio area and my grandpa with my mom. Grandpa sat there listening to her breath. He remembers looking at the clock before he drifts off. Within a half hour a nurse comes to wake us all up. Mom was peacefully leaving us with those who love her most surrounding her.

The following days were a blur, but I had made a promise to my mom that I intended to keep. I was going to get healthy again. I had not lived my life overweight. I had seen what it did to my mother growing up, and when she made a lifestyle change, dealing with her weight issues, it soon became too late. It scared me. So I went on diet after diet. I gained some more.

It may have taken me four years, but Momma I'm really doing it this time! I'm nine days away, and I'll wear something pink for you.
Xx Jacqui

Submit "My journey: I'll wear pink for you" to Digg Submit "My journey: I'll wear pink for you" to del.icio.us Submit "My journey: I'll wear pink for you" to StumbleUpon Submit "My journey: I'll wear pink for you" to Google

Comments

That is beautiful! Good job getting yourself healthy again and being strong after losing your mom. Hugs
    Thank you!
    It's a promise worth keeping ... she is proud of you.
    What a lovely tribute:-)
    Having lost my Mom to lung cancer 7 years ago and taking another 5 years to quit smoking, I firmly believe that it's never too late to make your Mom proud of you. Thanks for such a touching post.
    Good luck!
    What a touching story. Cancer is a horrible disease and I am very sorry for your loss. I was 26 when my mother died suddenly a few weeks after she retired and moved with my father to Florida to be snowbirds. I never got to say good bye. My Mother had a heart attack. My brother has heart disease. I am going to fight to be healthy. Everyone should.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScouterJim
    Having lost my Mom to lung cancer 7 years ago and taking another 5 years to quit smoking, I firmly believe that it's never too late to make your Mom proud of you. Thanks for such a touching post.
    I am so sorry for your loss! I know your mom is proud of you too!
    Quote Originally Posted by idigfrstbase
    What a touching story. Cancer is a horrible disease and I am very sorry for your loss. I was 26 when my mother died suddenly a few weeks after she retired and moved with my father to Florida to be snowbirds. I never got to say good bye. My Mother had a heart attack. My brother has heart disease. I am going to fight to be healthy. Everyone should.
    I am so sorry for your loss! My bff lost her mom suddenly when we were in high school. That is truly heartbreaking to not get to say, "Good bye." Best of luck to both you and your brother!
    Thank you EVERYONE for your kind words! It truly means so much! <3
    thank you for sharing your story, I hope you find happiness in your future. good luck.