Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Roses

2 days post-op and feeling okay.

Rate this Entry
Hi Everyone,
I got my surgery on Monday, October 6 and am home from the hospital today. You know how when were waiting for our sugary dates to arrive? Well this experience went in the exact opposite direction - I can't believe today is Wednesday and I'm home and I just had surgery on Monday. It went by in a blink.

In pre-op I was definately anxious and my husband kept asking me if i wanted to make a run for it. Honestly, I thought about it but eventually got it done as planned.

Woke-up with such an incredible pain in the middle of my chest that they did an EKG right there to see if everything was ok. It was. I found out later that I had a 'significant' hiatal hernia which was fixed during surgery - and that's probably where the pain came from.

My energy level in the hospital was very interesting - after surgery, I really wanted to walk to get the gas out. So I did 3 or 4 laps around the nurse's station then back to bed for more of the lovely drip medication.

The next day I had to do my leak test and aside from the stuff I had to drink (which tasted like gasoline) everything went great. It was here that I began to crash. Back in my room, I literally threw the covers over my head and wanted only to sleep. Maybe it was just my body responding to major surgery, don't know, but I was down for the count on day 2.

Today, I woke up worried about getting the drain out (it came out very easily and felt weird rather than hurting) and I was released around noon time.

I'm only taking extra strength Tylenol here. I was on Oxycodone in the hospital but it made my body shake and gave me crazy dreams so I stopped taking it. Incisions hurt but only when I get up from a chair or bed. I learned pretty quickly to stand up as much as I can at home.

And while I was standing to manage my pain I realized that drinking liquids go down much easier when standing up. Must be a gravity thing. Did anyone else come to this conclusion?

To anyone about to have the surgery, get some Biotene mouth spray for dry mouth. Is was wonderful to have and gives that yucky breath a much-needed facelift.

That's all for today. Getting tired again. Will blog later this week. Thanks for all the great wishes too! The support boosted me up

Submit "2 days post-op and feeling okay." to Digg Submit "2 days post-op and feeling okay." to del.icio.us Submit "2 days post-op and feeling okay." to StumbleUpon Submit "2 days post-op and feeling okay." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It's great to hear that you are doing well. I fly out tomorrow for my surgery and I always love hearing about everyone's surgery experiences. I really excited about my turn! I hope that your recovery remains smooth and that you continue to feel well. Take care!
    You sound great. Now it's time to rest and nap and sleep and rest and nap and sleep. Keep moving from time to time when you're awake. But take it easy. Let your body recover. Every day will be easier than the day before.
    Glad you're doing well
    You sound so good. Glad things are going well, take care of yourself!
    Everything sounds good . But u have to Rest, Rest,Rest, your body needs this . The first week is tuff, protect those surgery sites..keep hydrated , Welcome to the other side Take care...
    Awesome It sounds like it wen very well! Take care