Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Girliegreeneye

I survived. Thank God!

Rate this Entry

Every morning I wake I thank god for a new day on this earth!

After all I have been through in the past 9 days, has seriously made me a new person.

I can remember, like it just occurred, I felt so cold, I said, I have a fever, she checked, and said, your ok. My heart rate was at 121, Blood pressure which typically ran high was, jaw dropping low. The nurses kept emptying my drain, over and over, I had lost 3 liters of blood-within 3 hours, that is not including what she threw out prior to feeling that there was reason for concern. My once jovial upbeat nurse, had turned invisibly concerned.

-I remember feeling what seemed like a dark veil, like a light filter of smoked glass. Every thing seemed so dark.-

The doctor came in, and I am not quite sure if he knew I was experiencing the for mentioned, and started explaining how well everything had gone through out the surgery, he smiled and explained something, I can't recall exactly what
-this time was such a blur-in such a happy manner, and he asked me at this time, "how are you feeling?" I think I answered with "I'm well", as I felt my self drifting away. My life flashed before my eyes, I re-lived some of my happiest moments in my life, and the light was coming.

-my husband after recovery, explained that, I passed out and they rushed me into emergency surgery to find out where the leak was because I was showing signs of shock post op hour 4.-

I guess this is when they realized something was severely wrong;

When I awoke they were pumping me full of clotting factors, plasma, foreign blood and vitamin K potassium, saline, and a plethora of other foreign things.

--Every one was standing around me like it was a funeral.--

After all this, they said, it wasn't enough, "your blood won't clot, did you write in your medical form about family history of a bleeding disorder,?" I explained, it was in my medical form. I have been tested twice, and am negative for vonwilderbrands disorder

They were still emptying my full drain every 5 minutes, the doctor stated that I need platelets, and a man comes in asking for $2000. To cover the expense of the blood I was just given.

They started to fill me with platelets and a short time later , the doctor came to check up on me, looked at me and said what is this, pointing at my face. I felt my face, and I had blisters all over my cheeks, it expeditiously got worse and my eyes closed due to some sort of allergic reaction to what ever they had put into me. My breathing was harder now than it had ever been in my life, they filled my veins full of cortisone.

-at this point, I am unsure if I am still alive, but tinkering with the thought that I have passed away and am in hell experiencing the pain that was due to me for my sins on earth -

Fever rose, heart rate rose, blood pressure spiked.
Gasps- I couldn't seem to get any air. My lungs were saturating with the foreign blood they over prescribed me. I was choking on their error, literally.

At this point the doctors assistant comes in with a folder, with a bill for services, additional to the $6500 I had already paid. Mind you, I am in Mexico for this procedure, what they had originally quoted me $4300, and are adding an additional 1700. To the cost. And they needed it now to give me another round of blood.

I explained to the doctor, "I do not have any more money, I just want to go home. This has been such a nightmare! I wish I had never come to Mexico." I explained that I had already booked my flight for tomorrow morning, and do not want to miss my flight, I just want to go back to America.

Doctor explained he couldn't allow me to go home, he said, you can stay here and continue incurring bills or you can be transported via ambulance to Scripps in Chula Vista. He explained that he would pay the $500 for the ambulance to the border.

I just wanted out of that horrible hospital, my experience was, let's just say, much worse than my wildest nightmares, my worst fears come to life, a walk through hell and back.

I went to Scripps, and thank GOD.

I thank God that I lived, that I will be able to kiss my children good night again, and every morning that I wake up, I thank God, forgiving me more time with my family, and I thank God for each and every minute I am able to walk this earth, this story could have ended differently, I might not have made it.

I thank God that I am recovering so quickly, and am making great strides, every day gets a little better, a little easier.

Mostly, I thank God, because I appreciate more, I respect more, I now know there is a greater purpose for me, and it is my mission to see that his will is fulfilled. I was never a deeply religious person, but after this, so many opportunities where I could have passed away, but I lived......I was saved.

Submit "I survived. Thank God!" to Digg Submit "I survived. Thank God!" to del.icio.us Submit "I survived. Thank God!" to StumbleUpon Submit "I survived. Thank God!" to Google

Comments

WOW, I am SO sorry you had such an experience. Glad and greatful you are on the mend.

What did they decide the problem was at Scripps?
    thank you Think! They called it "aspiration pneumonia with anemia"
    Quote Originally Posted by Think
    WOW, I am SO sorry you had such an experience. Glad and greatful you are on the mend.

What did they decide the problem was at Scripps?
    Thank you, Think! I appreciate you reading my story, I just want every one to know, we should never become complacent, and overlook possible failures in order to gain a promise of health, and a thin body.

They called it aspiration pneumonia with anemia, I have a feeling they didn't know all of what had happened.
    Thank you. Sounds like you made the right choice to come back to the states! Prayers that you continue to improve, you have certainly been through a lot!

I had a similar near-death experience when I was ill almost 4 years ago. Had already been in the hospital for two weeks at that point... needed emergency valve replacements in my heart. They gave me a 10% chance that I would even pull through the heart surgery, but I was certainly going to die without it. They had already done 2 surgeries, and determined I had a bleeding disorder... had 12 units of blood after the hear surgery and countless bags of platelets. Who knows how many I had after the first 2 surgeries. I spent 7 weeks in the hospital, but only remember bits and pieces of the first 3 weeks or so.

I am thankful for each morning I wake up, because I know each day is truly a gift.
    I am also glad to see that you are on the road to recovery. Many of us look at this procedure as routine but there is nothing routine about any major surgery and this is a major surgery. This is part of the reason that my wife was not wild about the medical tourist thing. I am not saying that had anything to do with your issues. But not being close to family is always hard and she is not a very independent lady. She is already 10,000 miles from her family so she didnt want to be far from my side for my surgery. Godspeed on your journey to a healthier you. HE was not ready for you yet because it sounds like HE had many opportunites to take you if HE wanted to.
    What a crazy experience..It totally makes me take closer look to see if surgery is the right for me. Seth is right there is nothing routine about this surgery no matter where its done. For me being closer to home and insurance coverage gives me more peace of mind. I wish you continued success on your recovery and your new journey that is ahead.
    Prayers you way for healing and comfort, God Bless
    I've heard somewhere here that insurance can be bought for surgery in Mexico. Think it's $350. It sure sounds worth it. So sorry for your horrible experience!
    I am so happy to see that you are doing better. I think we were all very concerned and watching for your updates. Are you home now, or still in California? How is your husband? I'm know that this was bad for you, but he must have been out of his mind with worry.
    I'm also hoping that your work situation will be understanding and taken care of with the Family Leave Act, I hope that is no longer a worry for you.

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Praying for a continuing healing!!! So glad to see you are doing much better. Continue to tell your story!
    Jennifer..you don't know how much I was praying for you! I'm in tears after reading your post!
    I'm so glad you made it and are slowly recovering from your nightmare! Thank you for posting your experience from the beginning to now, so that it might give another person insight on what can happen! I wish you speedy recovery and a good healthy life without complications..May God bless!
    This is why I dont understand people on this blogg who take the chance to go to Mexico! Im sorry situations like this is why I'm doing it here in the states. If anything goes wrong i will be taken care of and close to home. Must have been such a nightmare! Giving me chills. Sorry no price to get a cheap procedure is worth your life im sorry, I know people get desperate but is it really worth your life risking to save money? Blows me away how many people on this blog say yeah im going to mexico. Trust me and Im mexican and I dont even have the guts to ever do it! Sorry no!!
    Goodness gracious! So very happy to hear you are recovering. Hopefully the remainder of your journey will be uneventful:-)
    Well, one advantage I would hope to going in the US, is I doubt many hospitals and doctors would have the guts to say "pay up or I won't save your life". That's horrible they did that. The scary part of the surgery though is that complications like yours don't just happen in Mexico. They could have had that happen anywhere, so I'm glad you've shared, so people get a realistic look. Thank goodness you got to a good hospital. Are you recovered enough to fly home yet?

Here's hoping that not too long from now, this will all be behind you and you will be losing weight and be able to reap the benefits of the experience.
    Who was your doctor and what Hospital dod you go too. My sister is thinking about going to Mexico and I am trying to get her the infomation to make the best chioce.