Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

dyork0028

Protein overload!!

Rate this Entry
I am trying to get everything ready for my post op return home. I am researching protein drinks, powder, water...protein everything. Without knowing what I am going to feel like, if my tastes will change, what my new tummy will tolerate/want, it is hard to know what to buy. I am relying on information I have read on this site and it has been very helpful. I think I am just going to buy small amounts of several different kinds and try until I find something I like. What I would really love would be a tasteless protein powder that I can add to everything....broth, cream of wheat, yogurt, milk....if anyone has any suggestions for something like that, please comment.

Submit "Protein overload!!" to Digg Submit "Protein overload!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Protein overload!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Protein overload!!" to Google

Tags: protein Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Just a heads up - Protein powder is expensive & ones that some recommend may not be ones you personally tolerate. (Lots love unjury here but I found that the scoop is huge, and to add that much to anything didn't taste right even though it was labeled as unflavored) - another protein shake that I have loved & drank pre surgery for almost two years...I could no longer tolerate after surgery (too sweet, got too thick in the drawn out time it took me to drink it post op), my suggestion is to find small packets to try different types till you find the right one. I ended up using a vegetable protein in soups, and a different one in shakes. I wasted lots of money on big containers that sit unused on my counter as I was trying to find one I tolerated.
    This was tough for me as well. Nothing sounded or looked good to me right after surgery! Even television commercials with food made me gag. I foolishly purchased large amounts of food from my surgeons office. 9 months later I still have a lot of it left. My daily staple is premiere protein shakes. These are pre made and I get a dozen of them from sam's club for $16.00 it's is really hard ( at least for me to eat 60-80 grams of protein in food daily). They aren't as sweet as others but at first the sugary taste was a bit strong so I added ice to water them down a bit. Now I can drink them with ease and to mix it up I add a half of a scoop of unflavored protein to them to get in extra protien. I also sometimes add a small amount of instant decaf coffee to them and it's really good!! Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are also very helpful. I buy the dannon light and fit Greek it only has 80 calories and 8 grams of sugar many other Greek yogurts have 20 grams or more. It will get easier as times goes no matter what you will waste food because you simply won't be able to eat like you used to. I can't stress the importance enough about getting in your protein my self and 6 others of my friends were sleeved in the past 2 years and the ones that don't monitor the protien are still losing hair. Luckily I can say I have not. I track every morsel that goes into mouth ( good or bad) I use myfitnesspal and there is tons of us there and lots of support. Feel free to add me if you use this tool my user name is bobbysgirl0628 also don't compare yourself to others here all of our bodies are different and we all have different instructions from our surgeons. This is your body and your journey!! Best of luck to you!!
    I am about a year out from surgery. I struggled with finding protein drinks that I liked both in taste and in texture. The best thing I found was a line of generic supermarket brand vanilla and chocolate protein powder mix. Most of the premixed drinks are expensive. I am a teacher and only have 20 minutes for lunch, and no breaks. This makes it difficult to have time during the day to mix drinks. I found that GNC makes a premixed protein drink in 12 oz. bottles in their GNC Total-Lean product line. They taste good, and are cheaper than other premixed drinks, especially if you get an GNC member discount card. I keep those in the fridge at work for during the day, and use the mix at home. Works great.
    I keep 3 types of protein in the house: Unjury chicken soup flavor (tastes like broth or ramen without the noodles), chocolate and unflavored. I love the Unjury (but it is expensive), I just found "It's About Time" at a local supplement shop and love that it's natural w/o GMOs etc. I'm less fussy about the chocolate because the only way I can handle it is by mixing it in Carnation Instant Breakfast Sugar-Free. I say splurge on the unflavored because ultimately you will use that more often than the others and you want to make sure that you like the taste/texture.
    I am so glad to find your post since I've been trying to "audition" protein drinks and such for months. The syrupy sweet drinks gag me, the amount of Unjury un-flavored is daunting and no, you can't put it in water, it really does have a not so pleasant flavor. I did get the Unjury Chicken broth but the only problem with that is that the water temp should be at 140 degrees which is barely over tepid. The flavor is not bad and now that I found the Oster electric kettle I can get the temp right. My suggestion as well is to do exactly what you decided would be the most prudent. Get small amounts of many different products and try them all. Good Luck!
    I went to several health and fitness stores and asked for samples. Sometimes they were in the store and others sent me home with a dry sample. I always offered to pay, but have only had to once. Bariatric pantry has samples you can purchase. Single portion samples were more per serving than the big jugs,but I don't have unused containers in my house going to waste. Taste will definitely change! I just tried ketchup post-surgery the other night and found I can't stand it. Lol
    I was sleeved on 12/5. Before the sleeve I liked the unjury. Now, the only one I can stand is Chike. I ordered the small packs to "taste" after surgery and really like them. I get the vanilla and add sugar free flavors to them. Good luck.
    Is Shakeology not an option? My surgery is next week and I love my shakeology. I thought if I mixed it with water and soy vs. almond milk I would be ok. But I am starting to get nervous because I haven't read of anyone drinking this product. It's about the only protein drink that I love the taste of. Any info on this would be great!
    Thanks!!
    I used to drink Shakeology and now my dietician says no because it has to many carbs in it.
    Spiritein you can buy in single serving packs for about 1.75 a pack. Its the best I've ever had and has 24 different flavors.
    Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions...I need all of the help I can get!
    I live on Premier shakes, Dannon Light & Fit yogurt and Liquid protein shots in my water with crystal light.
    I agree with people who tell you to get lots of single serving packets of powder or pre-mixed bottles. (Pre-op it seemed a waste of money to me because I was a bargain shopper who bought in bulk - just FYI there is no more buying in bulk post-op.) I bought two large containers pre-op - one of vanilla soy protein and one unflavored - and I can't stand the vanilla now - and you can only add one of two teaspoons of the unflavored to the size meal you get to eat before it dramatically effects the flavor or consistancy (which means you are only adding 2 - 4 g of protein). 4 weeks post op I am now buying single servings of things trying to find some that I don't hate drinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuddenlySlimmerSusan
    I agree with people who tell you to get lots of single serving packets of powder or pre-mixed bottles. (Pre-op it seemed a waste of money to me because I was a bargain shopper who bought in bulk - just FYI there is no more buying in bulk post-op.) I bought two large containers pre-op - one of vanilla soy protein and one unflavored - and I can't stand the vanilla now - and you can only add one of two teaspoons of the unflavored to the size meal you get to eat before it dramatically effects the flavor or consistancy (which means you are only adding 2 - 4 g of protein). 4 weeks post op I am now buying single servings of things trying to find some that I don't hate drinking.
    Hi!
    I'm contemplating surgery and I was wondering if you would share where you get your protein packets?
    Thanks!
    I drink the Premier protein shakes from Costco and use Joe Robb's Whey protein powder in vanilla mixed with skim milk. I bought the chocolate, too, but like the vanilla better, which is funny because I was a chocoholic pre-surgery. My surgeon said to try to get more protein from food, so I'm mainly eating cottage cheese (3-4 tblsp at a time) and yogurt. I try to find the yogurt with as little sugar and carbs and as much protein as possible. Good luck!
    Premier shakes are really good. I bought PB2 to add to chocolate shakes, it is powdered peanutbutter.
    I eat MetRx bars (bought at Walmart or in larger quantities from Amazon) Crunchy apple pie is the best, the others are nasty. Greek yogurt is always good.. I also add protidiet flavor (protein)packets (60 cal/15 g protein) to my water throughout the day. I like Grape and orange but they come in a LOT of flavors. The good thing about them is that they are a gel so you don't have to shake shake shake and still end up with lumps! you can get them on mydietshopz.com. good luck!