Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Journey Tobeme

It's my road to walk

Rate this Entry
"It is your road and yours alone. Others may walk with you but no one can walk it for you"

I am still meeting criteria. I lack my clearance from my sleep study (return Sept 16), my iron is still extremely low (coming up slowly) and I need to lose 7 pounds. I am kind of holding on the weight loss because if I lose more than 9 pound I will fall into another category and need a 6 month supervised diet which will delay surgery 3 more months. It is a balancing act for now.

I found myself relying heavily on my Patient Advocate. I started letting her take initiative on pretty much everything. Let me say she is so wonderful. Shout out to Dee. She is the sweetest and most understanding Chica ever lol. But then I realized....this isn't her road to travel. She should be like the friend handing me water as I run the race. She shouldn't be pulling me on a sled behind her as she runs the race for me.

So I took back control. I came up with a plan for my iron levels, my sleep study clearance and my weight loss. But then I thought about the road AFTER surgery.

I have read about people having no support, people sabotaging or people just not considering the lifestyle changes we have to make. I know this is my road. I can't expect people to walk with me or even hand me water as I follow the road.
* I can't expect my co workers to adapt their lives at work to fit the new me.

* I can't expect my family to not having huge family dinners of foods I can no longer eat.

* I can't expect my friends to not invite me out to eat or for a drink.

* I can't expect the world to change their way of eating because I am.

To me this is the biggest acceptance and hurdle many of us face. I have an amazing support team. My family is on board. My mother has already compiled a list of things I will eat afterwards so she can make sure there is always something for me at family dinners or game night. She is awesome like that. My life is filled with a family that understands and is prepared to go the extra distance. But even if they weren't I got this. I have to do it myself. It is up to me to take a plate to events where food is. It is up to me to go with my friends and have some water instead of drinks. Not too hard since I don't drink anyway lol. It is up to me that if people aren't supportive I will be strong enough to stay on the road.

Every bite I take, every drink I take, every step I take, every pound I lose is under my control. If I fail it is my own fault. When I succeed it will be my victory. Sure my team is walking with me but I have to lead or else nothing has changed except the size of my stomach.

Submit "It's my road to walk" to Digg Submit "It's my road to walk" to del.icio.us Submit "It's my road to walk" to StumbleUpon Submit "It's my road to walk" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

"Sure my team is walking with me but I have to lead or else nothing has changed except the size of my stomach"....

So true. I already know that I will not have a ton of support because I am not telling anyone except for my husband and closest friend about the surgery. I'm sure that I will probably miss out on having the support, but at the same time I like the accountability and autonomy of doing it on my own.
    So eloquent and so very true. Beautiful words that my heart needed to hear. Thank you.
    Char, only my immediate family knows I am having it. I don't think it's anyone else's business. All my employer knows is I am having a procedure and need off. I have had some negative feedback from a family member. So I chose to keep it to myself.

Toopie, thank you. I think I will need to remind myself of this.