Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

KASHMIRXXX

I ate food a day before surgery will anything happen to me?

Rate this Entry
My weightloss advocate said it would be fine, just take another exlax but is that correct?

Submit "I ate food a day before surgery will anything happen to me?" to Digg Submit "I ate food a day before surgery will anything happen to me?" to del.icio.us Submit "I ate food a day before surgery will anything happen to me?" to StumbleUpon Submit "I ate food a day before surgery will anything happen to me?" to Google

Comments

I seriously doubt anything will happen. Not eating before surgery helps to prevent any anesthesia problems such as aspiration while being under.
    Do what the coordinator said and no more eating:-) It really can cause surgery issues as well as absorption problems with anesthesia. Especially with sleeve surgery your belly needs to be completely empty of food for at least 12 hrs. It could leak out into your body cavity and cause some real issues.
    They also say that it makes things easier on the surgeon when he's trying to do the sleeve. Your liver is smaller and makes it easier to get to the stomach area.. Please follow your doc's orders so everything goes good for you. Also helps with not being sick after surgery..
    I have heard they have to flush out your upper bowel during surgery if it has food in it. Mainly for ease of moving this around (& your liver is smaller too by fasting). The less contents they have to remove, the faster the surgery will go and less chance of 'foreign material' leaking into your insides if there is a leak.
    Be honest with the medical staff when you go in, it's a matter of medical knowledge they have to know when they are giving you meds. Recommend that you get right with what you need to be doing sooner than later . Good luck.
    You definitely need to let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know. Your weight loss advocate is NOT a doctor and you shouldn't be taking medical advise from them.
    So.. I was told the reason for the liquid diet is to shrink the liver and that 24 hours pre-op is the most important time to follow the guidelines so your stomach will be completely empty. I'd be worried about something being left behind.

Our office warns us that they can tell if the pre-op diet was not followed, and they have sewn several people back up and had to reschedule because they did not follow the guidelines enough to shrink the liver or have the stomach empty. I'd assume it was a scare tactic.. but who knows. It can also screw with your anesthesia.. Mostly, from what I've heard, it'll make you super nauseous.

I cheated a little, too, but not the 24 hours before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindle
    You definitely need to let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know. Your weight loss advocate is NOT a doctor and you shouldn't be taking medical advise from them.
    Yes I totally felt unconfortable listening to them....I will still let the doc know, plus i been vomiting almost for 2days now, nothing but fluids....i feel like the advocates are just rushing me instead of working with me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Missatastic
    So.. I was told the reason for the liquid diet is to shrink the liver and that 24 hours pre-op is the most important time to follow the guidelines so your stomach will be completely empty. I'd be worried about something being left behind.

Our office warns us that they can tell if the pre-op diet was not followed, and they have sewn several people back up and had to reschedule because they did not follow the guidelines enough to shrink the liver or have the stomach empty. I'd assume it was a scare tactic.. but who knows. It can also screw with your anesthesia.. Mostly, from what I've heard, it'll make you super nauseous.

I cheated a little, too, but not the 24 hours before.

Yes I had surgery b4 and at all hospitals its the main 24hrs nothing but ice chips and water thats what im doing. the exlax makes me vomit which is weird but I will let the doc know every thing i just dnt want to lose m family, i have a little girl and a husband...i love my family....the only reason i ate something was because i was so neasaus after the exlax.......but keep me in your prayers. I never went to this extreme for weight loss but i want the change...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn
    Be honest with the medical staff when you go in, it's a matter of medical knowledge they have to know when they are giving you meds. Recommend that you get right with what you need to be doing sooner than later . Good luck.

I will because my life is at risk so I will tell everything because i have panic attacks anyways, plus i want to see the doctors equipment to see if it the latest.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomom
    I have heard they have to flush out your upper bowel during surgery if it has food in it. Mainly for ease of moving this around (& your liver is smaller too by fasting). The less contents they have to remove, the faster the surgery will go and less chance of 'foreign material' leaking into your insides if there is a leak.

how do they flush out my bowl..should I get an emmna?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNotABarbie
    I seriously doubt anything will happen. Not eating before surgery helps to prevent any anesthesia problems such as aspiration while being under.

I know the first 24-48hrs are the most important...im only 25 drug free..so I should be okay
    Other than clear liquids the day before and 12 hour fast preop, I didn't go through any sort of bowel prep for VSG. Kinda weird they are making you take exlax. But I guess every surgeon has their own protocol. Good luck