Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

bejeweled

Mmm, Indian food or How to Stay On A Liquid Diet At Eateries By The Powers of The Internet & Clever Thinking!

Rate this Entry
So, finally, first day really out of the house after surgery that was not a run to a hospital in an emergency or coming back from one. Of course, it was to a followup doctor's appt with my primary care doc but at least it was OUT.

Since my surgeon says that he doesn't want me to drive for a week, (and my parents and hubby 'kinda' enforced it by suggesting that I leave my car at my parents' house in the 'burbs) I rode to the appt with my hubbie. Once there, I saw the RN who consulted with my primary care doc over the phone. First thing, the nurse who worked previously as a RN at GWU Hospital in their bariatric care center was amazed that I was up so soon after having the sleeve. She kept questioning me about my breathing, how I was feeling, etc... I told her that honestly, I feel ok just weak from low food/calories but seem to be fine.

Unfortunately, the primary reason for this followup was my heart rate which was still - 120 but it had dropped down from 122 when I was released from Providence. Also, she tested my breathing and found a 'moderate' hindrance to my breathing but I seemed fine. Since everyone is concerned about the high heart rate, we agreed to not give me a nebulizer treatment for my breathing as that would send me heart rate even higher but I have to call her back with results from my followup with the surgeon tomorrow and fax over my discharge papers from Providence & Doctors' Hospital.

After getting thru that appointment, on to lunch!! Yeay!! My hubby and I went right downstairs to one of our fav Indian buffets! He had the buffet, I had soup! Yes, I am on my liquid diet still for 2 more weeks so I held to it by ordering 1 hot chai tea and a small (8oz) cup of tomato soup. Did I want some of the other fantastic dishes: butter chicken, tandoori chicken, potato patties with chickpea curry and mango chutney? Hells yes! But after reading other people's experiences with trying to eat regular food too soon, I know better so I drank half my soup VERY SLOWLY and had my 1 cup of chai VERY SLOWLY.

But God, so good! Taste, flavor, spicing!! Yum, yum, yum! I had no issues getting and keeping it down, only minor gas which my hubby helped me with by disguising his burping of me as just gentle pats on my back while he leaned over me when he got up for another run at the buffet. He is a DEAR one - he knows that I have my pride and dignity and helped me to keep it in public.

I came back home and had a protein shake which went down pretty smoothly, only minor swallowing issues when I gulped a little too fast which reminds me to slow WAY down some more. Now, I'm sipping on crystal light flavored water before I have another shake.

My weight seems to be coming off at about 1lb a day which is a damn sight faster than I could do but perhaps slower than others but I will take that with appreciation and thanks. It's coming off, I'm going down.

My only issues are that two of my largest incisions (about 1 - 1.5 inches) are being a little finicky about healing.

WARNING: Gets a little gross.

One is oozing blood very slowly and one is oozing clear fluid slightly from one side. Hubby has been helping me care for them by cleaning them with alcohol, putting on Neosporin & bandages for the last two days. (Didn't I saw he was dear?)

Dear friends of mine are coming up from NC tomorrow so I asked them to kidnap me for a bit to give hubby a break and to let me get out of the house. I will do what I did before going to the Indian eatery, hit the eatery's website and check if they have a soup that I can have then talk to them to get just the broth or make adjustments to it. Examples,

1) Noodles & Company has a chicken noodle soup but after explaining my issue to the cashier and manager, they were abe to give me just the broth (same price as the regular soup with noddles & all) so I was able to keep my meeting with a book club at that location. (Also, they have a tomato soup that you can order in a side order version - very small like 6oz or so.)

2) Chick-Fil-A has a chicken noodle soup as well but can't separate out the noodles, chicken and veggies but my friend, Michele, suggested that I order 2 large of them and just drink the broth which worked fine. I then gave the rest to my hubby which he ate - no $$ lost and I obeyed the diet.

So, if you still want to eat out with friends - look for websites of the eateries, see what they have available, call them and ask if they can modify the order or can you "work" it out - sip the broth off the soup/strain the soup yourself. See! Keep partying!

Submit "Mmm, Indian food or How to Stay On A Liquid Diet At Eateries By The Powers of The Internet & Clever Thinking!" to Digg Submit "Mmm, Indian food or How to Stay On A Liquid Diet At Eateries By The Powers of The Internet & Clever Thinking!" to del.icio.us Submit "Mmm, Indian food or How to Stay On A Liquid Diet At Eateries By The Powers of The Internet & Clever Thinking!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mmm, Indian food or How to Stay On A Liquid Diet At Eateries By The Powers of The Internet & Clever Thinking!" to Google

Comments

Glad you are feeling better, and it gets easier and easier everyday. Pretty soon you will be back on regular food and will enjoy it even more since we have to slow down and savor the flavor!
    Way to work around those obstacles - good ideas