Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Smoke and Mirrors

Rate this Entry
I take a diuretic (water pill) for lymphedema in my lower extremities roughly once a week, and in doing so, for roughly a 24 hour period, I will lose a significant amount of weight, only to have some form of weight regain once the effects of the diuretic have worn off.

While this is happening, it feels great to step onto the scale and see loss, but when it is over, even though I understand how the medication will work in my system, it is heart-breaking because I know without question I will regain some if not most of that weight back in excess fluid retention.

Don't get me wrong, I try REAL HARD to keep as much of the weight off as possible. And to some degree it can (and sometimes does) work. But there is a certain reality that comes along with those innocent looking little pills that I know carries with it a lot of smoke and mirrors type trickery.

I bring this up primarily because I feel confident in saying that I know there are more of you in the VSG Community that like myself are dealing with the same or a similar issue with fluid retention. And much like myself, you find the whole loss/gain factor to be a source of instant gratification and immediate frustration.

What I found works best for me is to relish the moments I do dip fairly low and know that at some point that will be my actual weight. But I try hard not to focus on the regain because I know it is inevitable. It has NOTHING to do with my efforts to lose weight, rather it is a reflection of an ongoing health issue that, if not controlled, will find me in the hospital wishing I had done right by myself.

Submit "Smoke and Mirrors" to Digg Submit "Smoke and Mirrors" to del.icio.us Submit "Smoke and Mirrors" to StumbleUpon Submit "Smoke and Mirrors" to Google

Comments

Yeah you can lose a fair bit with frusemide. As young nurses we used to take it the day before weigh in at weight watchers!!!
    But you need it for your condition Shannon. Maybe just weigh once a week after the frusemide to get a reliable progress?
    Hey there Edie!

I agree, the Furesemide we are speaking of is medically necessary. While I wish it weren't, it is, and I have come to accept it for what it is. It's just frustrating to see such a significant loss, only to regain most of it the next day. I can tend to break one's spirit - even if I know this is what will happen.
    Yeah I know, its a bummer :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Yeah I know, its a bummer :-(
    I view it more as a necessary evil at this point. But better to take it once a week than to contend with the alternative.