Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Nancy23

Prepping for surgery - Yes, I'm a planner!

Rate this Entry
My surgery is 50+ days away but that has not stopped me from planning both for pre-op and the sleeved life. Here are thing things I have done:

Started skin & hair regimen along with yoga and lifting weights. I am reading everything - I am preparing for the worst, hoping for the best.

Pre-op:

1. I will have a 3 day liquid diet but three weeks before I am doing Seattle Sutton to aid in proper nourishment and surgery preparation. One month before I will say good-bye to my diet soda :/
2. I have lots of protein type powders on hand - no worries with finding one that suits me.
3. Writing a letter to the new me, not to forget the old (current) me but to learn from my mistakes and continue the work and effort.
4. Searching for local bariatric support group to join and local bariatric nutritionist.

In hospital:
1. Purchased heating pad and gas x strips.
2. I also heard you can buy sleeping pills from hospital before leaving. I guess they come in handy for the pain - definitely on my list.
3. Purchased ear plugs - heard this was a good idea as some patients may be loud while recovering at hotel. Maybe I'm the loud one

Flight Home:
1. Purchased starter Unjury package. These are convenient protein packages to drink on my flight home.
2. Purchased compression socks - no blood clots here.
3. Purchased heating pad for after surgery and, if my airplane seats have no outlet, I have a hot water bottle ready to comfort me.

Starting sleeved:
1. Purchased my chew-able vitamins including dailys + iron, calcium chew=ables, and B12 sublingual.
2. Purchased smaller food containers, a double-shot glass type measuring cup (seriously its nearly that small), child size utensils, new water bottles.
3. Purchased a journal that is special just for the new me. I can't wait to begin writing in it.

Going back to work a week later:
No idea yet how to manage my new sleeve in a busy office setting but confident I will have a plan in place for it. Tips?

If you think I've overlooked something please let me know. If you're pre-op and like the list, feel free to use it too.

Submit "Prepping for surgery - Yes, I'm a planner!" to Digg Submit "Prepping for surgery - Yes, I'm a planner!" to del.icio.us Submit "Prepping for surgery - Yes, I'm a planner!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Prepping for surgery - Yes, I'm a planner!" to Google

Comments

Very Nice, I'm a planner as well but see a few things her that I didn't think of so thanks.
    Sounds like you're good to go. The more you take care of ahead of time the easier it will be after. Good luck!
    Glad it helped and yes, trying to adjust mentally before forced physically. Having so many people contribute on here really helps with preparation.
    Congrats! I'm a planner too. I am having my surgery on 04/15, but I am starting the pre op diet tomorrow for 5 days to prepare myself for when the time comes that I have to do it. I want to see what I'm in for. Then I will go back to low carb. I have also started to work on my arms now because I wont be able to lift weights for a few weeks after surgery. I am so excited. Good luck and let us know how it went.
    I was the same way. One suggestion would be to start getting into the habit of not drinking anything a half hour before and after you eat. I use a timer after every meal. I think that's been the hardest to get used to. I also gave up all sodas before my pre-op. I'm seven months post-op and haven't had any soda, bread, rice, or pasta and I honestly don't miss any of it.
    Best of luck to you!
    Consider giving up the diet soda NOW especially if you drink caffeinated. Getting off the caffeine can take longer than a month and you don't need that withdrawal\headaches post op! Took me 6 months to wean off. Went to LaCroix, and half calf, then eventually decaf and water. Diet soda is something I've not returned to, (bubbles are evil and make my tummy cry), but I do drink a very limited amount of coffee (usually with a shot of whey protein) now.
    I am also a planner. Your plan is much more organized than mine. It is helpful to see it laid out this way. One thing that has been heavy on my mind is the type of vitamins to get. Where did u get yours and what kind did you get? I love reading everybody's posts and putting them all together to make sure I try to have everything covered
    I love your approach, comprehensive and well thought out. Weaning off caffeine and diet soda was a big challenge for but it ended up being much easier than I thought it would be. I started about 2 months ahead of my surgery by drinking one (12 oz.) a day for a couple weeks. Then 2 weeks after that I went every other day about 3 weeks ahead of surgery I spaced it to one every 3rd day and replaced with water, powerade zero, crystal light and minute made light lemonade. During this time I also moved to one cup of coffee, then to decaf and an occasional real coffee then to just decaf. It helped me to move to decaf tea and herbal teas that you can also pour over ice and drink cold if need be. I NEVER thought I could give up my diet soda and caffeine but I've been bubble and caffeine free since the end of November 2014. Good luck!
    I have my surgery scheduled for April 24th, in Mexico, and i started to make changes, i am havng a shake for breakfast and upped my water. i cut out pop, cut right down on my breads, i have 4 loaves on the counter lol, about to go mouldy, but my kids will or might eat it. i stopped stopping in at mcdonalds for breakfast bagels, i still get my black orange pekoe tea, i cut down to one a day and not 3. im chewing my food longer, practicing not drinking while i eat. etc