Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

SleevedRN

Feeling down this afternoon

Rate this Entry
So I'm post op day 4 and feeling better each day. I decided to go to the mall and walk with my husband and kids. I felt great at first but then started feeling sluggish and some pain came back. Then my family got hungry so they sat down for a meal. The smell of food made me so hungry and I just wanted to enjoy lunch with them! I had to leave the table and look around at shops while they ate. I felt hopeless. After walking the entire mall, my family then got ice cream. It felt like a punch in the face. I'm usually the happy go lucky one of the group and today all I can do is feel sad. I know things will get better but today has been rough. I think especially because it is the weekend and food and drinks are such a huge social aspect of our culture.

Submit "Feeling down this afternoon" to Digg Submit "Feeling down this afternoon" to del.icio.us Submit "Feeling down this afternoon" to StumbleUpon Submit "Feeling down this afternoon" to Google

Comments

I think the key to getting through those situations is to remind yourself, it's not like you can never have ice cream (or insert favorite other food here), you just choose not to have it today. You'll get through this. Hang in there.
    I haven't even had the operation yet, but I have been on diets which are restrictive and it sounds like you should take your time about leaving the house on social outings until you get the system/plan down. I probably would have felt like you...defeated and deflated. Also, explain to your family that you need them to be mindful of your situation for about a month and choose not to eat their foods around you. I have joked with my family about this and they will be a bit cruel (teenagers) but I laugh and joke back at them. I wish you well with this, I know my time is coming.
    Good Luck
    You know, I guess this is what I have read about people morning food. I have not been sleeved yet so I cannot possibly know what you are going through. But, I can however tell you what my nutritionist told me. Protien and carbs give you energy. So take your protien drink around with you and make sure you get your vitamins. I am learning so much from all of you that have gone before me. Always , always have something with you to eat/drink high in protien to keep the energy level up these are clear liquids. Also always have something to sip on. This is your journey and it will be your success. Get yourself some Unjury products. Those are especially made for post Baratric surgery patients. I think you will feel better if your energy level was up and you could eat/drink something that is tasty. UNJURY Medical Quality Protein. Best Tasting Whey Protein Isolate Powder. Most Trusted Whey Protein Powder Supplement. High Quality Whey Protein ,order in the am it will be there the next day, well it was for me. I was amazed.
    I think you nailed why our country has such a weight issue- "food and drinks are such a huge social aspect of our culture." But I agree with what others have said. It is only temporary. And maybe it would help by telling yourself that you aren't depriving yourself- you are making better choices for a healthier new you!
    Thank you everyone. I am still on a clear liquid diet and drink Isopure for my protein. My body is still adjusting to everything and maybe I did push myself too much today. This is going to be a learning process and labile emotions come with that. My husband is my rock and is supporting me through every step. So for that, I am thankful.
    RN,

I dont know if you are mourning food or not, but I am. So I can kind of relate to what you are going through. But like greenmomma said, we'll get through this.

Because like you, most of my social interactions involve food, I have been keeping to myself (which is probably making me feel even more down). Fridays my work friends and I would go out for lunch, some times go out for happy hour after work for drinks and apps, Friday nights was pizza night in my house, every Sat when I would go to the mall with my brother we'd either get an Aunt Annie's pretzel or ice cream.

I miss hanging with my friends, but I am not ready right now, as I need to get my routine down a little better. I hope everything works out for you!

Be well,
    Renaye
    I don't get hungry, but I know I should be eating and drinking. My tastes have also changed drastically. When you listen to what they say, it sounds so easy. I never thought it would be so hard to eat and drink.
    The lunch and ice cream outing - I know it would bother me too not to be able to join in with my family. Sitting there with your isopure bottle I'm sure isn't quite the same thing. Hot bath with candles & fancy soap & bath salts - that's what I say. Treat yourself, do something nice for yourself to make up for being left out of lunch & ice cream. Or a hot cup of tea & a book in your coziest outfit?
    Sorry - you are too recently post op for a tub??? Darn I swear to you I am not trying to make it worse. Find a non food treat - have hubby pick you up some flowers for your bedroom. You deserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by renaye83
    RN,

I dont know if you are mourning food or not, but I am. So I can kind of relate to what you are going through. But like greenmomma said, we'll get through this.

Because like you, most of my social interactions involve food, I have been keeping to myself (which is probably making me feel even more down). Fridays my work friends and I would go out for lunch, some times go out for happy hour after work for drinks and apps, Friday nights was pizza night in my house, every Sat when I would go to the mall with my brother we'd either get an Aunt Annie's pretzel or ice cream.

I miss hanging with my friends, but I am not ready right now, as I need to get my routine down a little better. I hope everything works out for you!

Be well,
    Renaye
    Thank you for sharing, Renaye. I needed to hear that. I think I am mourning food; experiencing a loss of sorts. I know I will be so happy when the weight is gone but I think everything has just piled on at once and Im emotionally distressed. Hearing your experience has helped me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luann
    Sorry - you are too recently post op for a tub??? Darn I swear to you I am not trying to make it worse. Find a non food treat - have hubby pick you up some flowers for your bedroom. You deserve it.

I will enjoy the tub soon enough. I've just kind of been taking some quiet time to myself to deal with everything. I'm not sure why I feel physically hungry. My stomach is growling. I wasn't expecting that. Popsicles do help though. Thanks for your ideas.
    While you are watching them eat and you feel that you are missing food, think of what you have missed so far because of the weight. I think of the things I can't do with my kids. That could be water rides, rides, sports etc. I'm always the one to look and take pictures because I'm too big to fit in anything.