Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

mellymel

My Experience with Dr Almanza and 2 week post op-

Rate this Entry
Hello all! Let me first say how much I appreciate this site because there is some good information and support - Sorry upfront for long post- but just wanted to share with you my experience and feelings re my journey so far.
I chose to go with Dr Almanza - Reading the numerous post helped in preparing me for the initial experience. Yes the clinic is truly in a strip mall next to a office depot and behind a Costco and across from Love Boutique (adult store) - So reading that ahead of time helped me alot- it was no shock!
Once I arrived in the van (there were two vans we had a lot of people that day in fact he had a total of 13 procedures Dr Almanza did that day, so it was a busy day, mostly everybody had a companion) - The driver was nice, during the drive it was a "I can't believe I am really doing this" moment lol - Everybody checked in and it was like herding cattle (as I read previously thank you for heads up) had blood draw and labeled our luggage then put on blue booties and headed upstairs for pre op. - The staff was very nice. The clinic smelled cleaned and it appeared that the staff had a good flow with the procedure ( they had a system and a flow). I came alone so not sure how the companions worked out but being alone seemed to work for me because I was not worried about making sure my friend/family was ok or that they knew what was going on.
We all went upstairs and then met with Cardiologist (Mr smiles.. he was friendly and smiles all the time) - had ekg, IV placed, compression stockings and changed into gowns (had a complimentary WalMart bag to place our belongings in.) - Then one by one people met with administrator, doctor then went down to surgery. I had surgery around 6pm or so that day- all I remember is saying "this is surreal, I just want to get it over with already".
Surgery happened and I think I have a harder time than most with extubation as I always wake up in a panic, the staff was present and right away helped me get up and walk around ,patting my back to help with the gas trapped. The rooms upstairs that were the pre op rooms were also used as recovery rooms. I could not sleep and just walked around had a hard time breathing and pain. However most of the other people appeared to be able to sleep well and the following day they went to the hotel (the recovery house is under renovations)
I stayed along with my new sleeve buddy as she also had some difficulty with nausea and vomiting poor thang, she was a trooper and her and I stayed in a smaller clinic/lab a couple stores down in the same strip mall. Again the staff was all very nice and attentive. I could not lay down had to sit up, just not comfortable and still had pain. We both stayed there for the following day, running into the others who had been in hotel (they said it was real nice) they came to complete the 1 of two leak test. Throughout this time, I would say the most frustrating part was not talking to the surgeon after (you know just to have that follow up) and that there was some lack of communication as to how much longer we were going to stay and what was going to happen. Staff was good about providing reassurance.
It truly was not until the third day I would say I could even think to say "I think I will be ok" lol ... so prepare yourselves the first couple days I think are the roughest. so completed the leak test drinking nasty purple liquid to see if it leaked in the drain then went to another location to have the "xray" done at a radiology location, drank more nasty clear liquid but then it was almost done, returned to the clinic got the IV and the drain out
---warning--- the drain caused some psychological trauma to me lol it did not really hurt but to see how long and big it was as she pulled it out was crazy lol -
returned to San diego- crossing the border took about 2 hrs and we unfortunately had to also wait for customs to clear us- drama lol - SO if you are flying remember get the latest afternoon flight - they were really good about timing of everything and we arrived at airport fairly close to time they said we would be there- impressive considering the factors at play, traffic and customs-
So far post op, I have lost 16 lbs, 4 inches overall- this past week really have not lost anything, but I am expecting some stalls as my body is recovering.
My stitches came out 11 days after - still have like a couple gaping holes but my doctor said it will be ok- I had reaction to material in stitches and with adhesive/tape- SO prepare yourself at home for aftercare with wound wash, bactine and band aids/gauze to care for stitches and such
so far here I am trying to be encouraged that this will take some adjusting and learning - I would like to share some pointers as I have learned with my journey-
1. Pre trip -----Pack light, you probably will only need a change of clothing for a day or two- Gas X did not seem to help me with gas however helped as it was something I could put in my mouth and freshen it up Bring something to read/do - Do not forget your $20 cash for xray and if you want anything-
Bring a Spanish/english translation book, learn some Spanish, I was amazed at how much I could understand/remember from couple yrs in high school
2. Surgery- Everyone is different - follow pre op as best as possible and bring up any questions you have- stay positive -
3. Post op -- Prilosec was a miracle! It helped so much with reflux so I could at least lay down and get some rest- Take it slow - follow post op diet as your body heals- you probably could eat more or chew but give your body time to heal! Walk, walk and walk as much as possible

Good luck in your own journey and I look forward to reading how everybody is doing and I will try to keep up with posting on my progress as well...

Submit "My Experience with Dr Almanza and 2 week post op-" to Digg Submit "My Experience with Dr Almanza and 2 week post op-" to del.icio.us Submit "My Experience with Dr Almanza and 2 week post op-" to StumbleUpon Submit "My Experience with Dr Almanza and 2 week post op-" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great report, this will be helpful to so many. Great to hear that you are doing well now, all the best from here on in. I was at the clinic and stayed at the recovery house, so happy to hear that they are renovating, hoping they get rid of those bunk beds. It was good to hear how it is for now and to compare it with my experience.
    Ahhhh, yes...brings back memories!!
    why do you have to wear compression socks?
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsibelle
    why do you have to wear compression socks?
    I assume it's like wearing them for long flights on a plane, to stop deep vein thrombosis from periods of inactivity?
    Dr. almanza truly amazing, good luck with your journey