Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Tandem

Back to protein shakes

Rate this Entry
I'm 2 1/2 weeks out from my surgery. I have been struggling over the last few days to get in my protein. Over the last few days I've only gotten about 45 grams. I'm not sure how else I can get at least 60 grams of protein at this point without having shakes. I've been eating an egg and a little bit of refried beans and cheese for breakfast, tuna fish or a shake for lunch and then a soup with unflavored protein powder. This isn't going to cut it.

I was really hoping to stop the shakes, but I don't see how it's possible at this point given how little I can eat. I don't see the nutritionist again until July 12. I'm hoping she can give me some tips on how to up my protein intake.

Submit "Back to protein shakes" to Digg Submit "Back to protein shakes" to del.icio.us Submit "Back to protein shakes" to StumbleUpon Submit "Back to protein shakes" to Google

Comments

What is your reasoning behind wanting to stop the protein shakes? I know lots of people want to. Not me. I'm 20 months out and still drink at least one and sometimes up to three a day. They are an easy surefire way to get in the necessary protein without having to put much thought into it, so that works really well for me. I can't be bothered with trying to figure out how much protein is in regular food, so any that I get from that is just a bonus. I lost all my weight plus (213 down to 105) and have been maintaining it with ease. Everyone has to do what works for them, and I found that the shakes (Muscle Monster Energy Protein in chocolate) work best for me.
    At 2.5 weeks out most of my protein was coming from shakes or I should say all because my portions were so small. I was just learning how to digest food at that stage. I slowly made the move to food based protein when I was able to consume more foods. I was probably at the 7 - 8 month mark when I could manage to get all my protein from food. At more than a year out I still supplement my food with protein when needed to get my daily requirement. My suggestion is to supplement until you can eat more. Right now you're still in the liquid, pureed, soft food stage and getting more than half your protein from a drink is very normal and expected.
    For one thing, I wasn't allowed solids until 6 weeks out so shakes and unflavored protein added to soups and plain Greek yogurt were my main protein source for a long time. And with them I was getting 60g+ every day starting day 5.

I'm now 2 1/2 years out, have been maintaining my over 100% EWL for almost 2 years and I still drink shakes. I don't track or measure my food, so my shake and quest bar guarantees I'm getting 40-50g every day without thinking about it. Like Katrina said, All my high protein meals are just bonus and probably puts me over the 80g mark every day. Plus leaves me free to eat more veggies, fruits and whole grains, not JUST protein at every meal.
    I am over 1 1/2 years out and still have protein shakes. I have gradually moved from only drinking the premade shakes to actually using the ninja I paid for an making my own. It's a quick and easy meal with lots of protein- my favorite is a matcha green tea shake with the vanilla premier protein shake which with adding chia seeds I get 36 grams of protein with. I love getting that much protein in so early in the day!
    Thanks for all the words of advice. I guess I was just really excited to be moving to soft and pureed foods that I thought I could maybe get all my protein from that. I guess my issue with the shakes is that they aren't "real" food and over the last two years, prior to the surgery, I had really worked hard to eliminate most processed food from my diet.
    However, I think my expectations are just unrealistic at this point. For the time being I'll focuse on just getting my protein in through the shakes.
    Thanks all for sharing your experiences!
    I still have 37 days before my surgery and I am almost glued to this site. I feel like a sponge and getting all this information that I cant even think about asking about. Thank you Tandem for asking a great questions and thanks to all the other lady and gents that have such wonderful advice!
    Hey! I saw a Youtube video about this awesome protein powder and ordered some for myself on Amazon. It arrives this weekend, and I'm so excited to try it out. It's called Genepro Medical Grade Protein. In 1 TBSP, it has 30grams of protein and 0 grams sugar. It's unflavorless and odorless and supposed to mix well into drinks as well as food. I'll let you know how it is... I'm really hoping its tasteless. I have vanilla protein powder right now, and everything I put it in tastes like vanilla.
    I'm currently pre-op and eating low carb, but my plan after healing from getting sleeved is to get in as much protein as I can with in shake or mixed in yogurt, and then whatever food will just be extra protein.

Just wanted to pass this on, since you're trying to get more protein in. I know mentally you're ready to start eating real food and chewing and all that, but still take things slowly and give yourself time to heal and get down those shakes to make sure you get that protein.
    what is your capacity? Once I went to soft foods, I got most of my protein that way. Instead of shakes, I added unflavored protein powder to things and/or had a glass of milk with carnation instant bfast etc. Here and there on a low day, I might have a shake.

I could eat a whole Yogurt though so I didn't struggle like so many do. I also ate every 2 - 3 hours per my center's instructions.

I did egg, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and fish.
    i am 7 wks post surgery and doing really well so far, I am getting most of my protein from food, egg white omelettes are good and i can eat 2 egg whites, cheese and fish are big for me, laughing cow lights are really good and they come in different flavours, i went out for lunch for the 1st time yesterday, had a starter portion of Mussels and the cheese board i even had a cracker with the cheese, it was so nice and i enjoyed every single one and just being out in a normal environment. i haven't had a shake since week 3 as they really made me feel sick
    Tandem, if it makes you feel better about the shakes, 100% whey protein is the best, most efficiently absorbed form of protein available. Better than beef, fish, pork, seafood, soy, and other dairy proteins.
    Hi Tandem, you can find protein powder that are organic or natural and stay away from fake sugar and chemicals. I used organic whey like Kindle told you, but also organic vegan powder (Sun warrior). The main issue for me is to find something that my stomach can handle, because usually after a few days/weeks, I get nauseous and have to change brand. I really liked the already made shakes Orgain, it's easy to have a few cold and ready to drink in the fridge, and I was ordering it online (Amazon or Walmart) when I was in the US. It's too bad I can't order it from overseas, because I tried the Orgain powder and didn't like it....way too sweet!.... take care!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muted_Tummy
    what is your capacity? Once I went to soft foods, I got most of my protein that way. Instead of shakes, I added unflavored protein powder to things and/or had a glass of milk with carnation instant bfast etc. Here and there on a low day, I might have a shake.

I could eat a whole Yogurt though so I didn't struggle like so many do. I also ate every 2 - 3 hours per my center's instructions.

I did egg, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and fish.
    Even though it says it was unflavored I still found it to have a chalky taste so I don't use it as much - I drink Lean Body on the Go by Labrada every day.... premade and I get them delivered by the case off of Bodybuilder.com - same costs even with shipping when I consider I would have to go to a Walmart and buy them and drag them home
    Well, I just ordered the Genepro, so we'll see how it goes. According to the plan from my surgeon I can have moist chicken so I managed to get that down. I was also able to eat the tuna finish salad meals that come in the little packages (without the crackers). I've been able to meet my protein goals for the last few days which is good.
    Thanks to all for the advice!
    Unfortunately, genepro is not really protein. It comes from a questionable company that also sells "male enhancement" and "miracle" muscle building products. There are absolutely no third party studies that verify any of the company's claims and is not FDA approved. They can't confirm absorption rates through pre and post serum protein levels, cannot provide an amino acid profile, and anyone with a basic understanding of biochemistry knows that once you chemically alter a substance by stripping off all the hydrogen atoms (which is how this company explains why their "protein" molecule is so small) that substance is no longer what you started with.

Genepro doesn't taste like protein or have any of the physical properties of protein because it isn't protein. But it has a great marketing department behind it, so unfortunately there are lots of folks that get scammed into buying it. I don't think Genepro will harm anything, but please don't rely on it as a primary protein source.
    After 2 weeks I could eat soft foods. How about greek yogurt, eggs, or cottage cheese? If that doesn't work, there's no problem having some shakes. By 6 weeks I was on all real food and never had a shake again.
    I usually have a yogurt in the morning, the triple zero has 12 grams I think. I can do cottage cheese for lunch, or there are easy recipes online to make an 'egg in a mug'. You can do a quick scrambled egg in a coffee cup right in the microwave and you and add spinach once you get the ok. I also like polly o low fat string cheese for a quick boost. I just found at cvs and walmart the pre made shakes with 30 grams of protein. They may be too thick so I will toss them in the blender with some ice or frozen fruit. Theres a book, cooking for dummies for sleeved people (not the name but you get my drift) I bought it on Amazon but haven't opened it. Maybe you library has something or just cruising the internet will help.
    Thank you all for the information. I have not had surgery yet but i have ideas now on how i can get my proteins in
    17 months out and I still have to have a shake everyday to meet my protein needs. I use torani sugar free syrups, ice, different protein flavors of whey, fruit and nuts in my shakes so I am never bored and they are fresh which I love. If I don't get all my protein in I gain weight back so it never seems to end.