Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

patrikian

Surgery tomorrow my trip to mexico so far

Rate this Entry
I'm new to blogging and on-line support groups. I was so nervous about surgery I did my first post. Get lots of support, wish I tried this sooner. I also thought I'd diary my trip to Tijuana for surgery. If your not interested in this stop now....I won't mind.

From going to Dr. Almanza's web page to surgery in about 2 weeks. Of course I have thought about this and researched for months. Once I started the process things went fast.

I flew into San Diego a day earlier that needed to have a relaxed trip, I'm too nervous without feeing rushed Flight was fine and San Diego was fine. I've been too nervous to eat and I think that's a mistake, I did ok getting protein at home with shakes, but not since I left home. Bring protein powder so you can make your own drinks.

I asked about the van picking me up at the airport. Told it would be white and would have a sign with Dr. Almanza's name. That didn't happen. I saw the same van circle twice and saw that it had a Tijuana license plate so I went up to the van He convinced me he was the right guy so I got in the van. When I told him I was a little nervous about the surgery he told me that his wife had the sleeve with Dr Almanza. He felt Dr. A was very good so I felt much better. Drive to hotel uneventful, but you sure see the poverty of the city.

The driver told me that he would pick me up at 8am for blood tests and what not. I thought would happen today but that's ok, gave me time to walk around and shop.

Check in at the hotel less than exciting. 3 girls at the desk seemed bothered I was standing there. I had called the hotel the day before to request a private room. They found my reservation. The driver stayed with me until I was checked in and the nurse came to the front desk. Thanks to Omar.

The nurse took me to my room, showed me how things worked and said he would call when he was sure of time to hospital tomorrow. met a few post-op folks walking the hall pushing their IV poles. One lady was on day 3 and looked great and was is good spirits Hope I do that well.

Advice on the hotel...I brought a long extension cord, but 2 would have been better. The only outlet my cord would reach meant stepping over the cord to go to the bathroom. I see this becoming a problem. Also, be sure you have a flashlight app on your phone. The bulbs that work are so low watt that it is too dark in the room to see the thermostat or read. The room is nice enough though and the AC works great.

I decided to go for a walk and not hide out in my room. A bit nervous but I saw a 7-11, so felt more at home. There is a street fair today and cops are everywhere. I felt fine walking around, got a latte and a hat. I'll go back to it later in the day when I cools down a bit.
When I asked where I could find an ATM the girls at the desk were marginally nicer. Wonder it they were put off because I check in so early, but I did think today was hospital then hotel.

WiFi is good, menu for the hotel looks good. They have broth on the menu for us sleevers. I got 3 coupons for broth.

Well survivor man is on TV, in Spanish...I'm not a fan in English, but this makes it more interesting. Signing off for now

Submit "Surgery tomorrow my trip to mexico so far" to Digg Submit "Surgery tomorrow my trip to mexico so far" to del.icio.us Submit "Surgery tomorrow my trip to mexico so far" to StumbleUpon Submit "Surgery tomorrow my trip to mexico so far" to Google

Comments

I too am having surgery with Dr. Almanza in January and having your post what you are going through really helps me. I look forward to reading more about your journey. Good luck with your surgery.
    I'll be there in 2 1/2 weeks.....look forward to more posts as you are able. Sending good vibes your way that everything is smooth sailing!
    Thanks for the heads up honey. I pray that your journey is blessed.
    Wishing you well wishes and a speedy recovery. Hope all goes well and uneventful.
    Definitly bring a 12' extension or so if your used to having your stuff charging next to the bed