Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

smhagood

Staph Infections after sleeve surgery with Dr. Almanza in Mexico

Rate this Entry
Hello!
I am wondering if anyone else out there has developed staph infections at their incision sites after having a gastric surgery with Dr. Almanza? I had my surgery (a sleeve revision) on July 8, 2014 and as of today, I still have two open incision sites that are infected with staph. I have gone through three rounds of antibiotics and still have not healed. It is very frustrating and a bit scary.
My experience with Dr. Almanza's facility was that it was a glorified clinic but it appeared clean although very small and "dated". I was concerned with the high number of patients that he performed surgery on and the late hour that surgeries were performed not to mention that he spoke very little English and could not communicate with his patients. But, I was tired from the flight and really was committed to the surgery and chose to go forward.
Anyhow, I was fine in the hotel in Mexico but by two days after I returned home, I had to go to my primary care doctor because I had infections in 3 of the 5 incisions. He had to take the stitches out to clean the wounds and though 1 site scabbed over, the other 2 have not and still have staph infections.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? I don't know if this is just my bad luck or if there is a potential problem with Dr. Almanza's facility.

Submit "Staph Infections after sleeve surgery with Dr. Almanza in Mexico" to Digg Submit "Staph Infections after sleeve surgery with Dr. Almanza in Mexico" to del.icio.us Submit "Staph Infections after sleeve surgery with Dr. Almanza in Mexico" to StumbleUpon Submit "Staph Infections after sleeve surgery with Dr. Almanza in Mexico" to Google

Comments

Did they culture the infected wounds to determine that it was staph? Is it MSRA or just a plain old staph infection? If they didn't culture your wounds, I'd go back and demand it because the treatment is going to be a different. MRSA needs to be treated aggressively from the start before it causes additional problems. I can't comment on your surgeon or the facility because I have no idea. Btw, bravo to you for being aware enough to know you needed medical treatment and did not delay getting help. Good for you and prayers for a speedy recovery.
    I just read your blog in whatever group it is that you posted it in about your staph infection. Again, I can't comment about having surgery in Mexico or Dr. Almanza because I don't have any experiences with that. With that being said, I am perplexed about how helpful your U.S. surgeon is about your failed sleeve, with comparing the x-rays and all. Seems to me he or she should've been that helpful and gave you every penny's worth of the $26,000 you paid for surgery.

If your original surgeon didn't perform your sleeve correctly (to give you the restriction you now feel) then it should've been revised by that same person, and the only costs you should've incurred would've been for anesthesia and the hospital stay; the surgeon's fee should've been waived.

If you are on 3 different antibiotics then it sounds like MRSA and that is EXTREMELY SERIOUS, not only for you but a major concern for patients already scheduled for surgery or considering surgery with him. I don't know if your U.S. surgeon or PCP explained this to you but if you begin to have disproportionate pain in your abdomen, get help immediately. I'm sorry this happened to you, and I find it terrible that one doctor gets to critique another when he's the reason you're in this position in the first place.
    I developed an infection in one of my ports 3 weeks after my surgery. My doctor told me apparently some of the stomach contents leaked into the abdominal cavity. It wasn't painful at all but I had to do wound care on myself 2times a day. I guess my doctor thought I was qualified because I am a nurse. But let me say this. Everyone has staph and strep on their skin and for some reasons sometimes you can get an infection all it needs is a opening and you had one. But like one person said MRSA is an aggressive staph infection and has to be treated aggressively. But I wouldn't go blaming Dr Almanza for it from what i"ve read his hospital is VERY clean and they are very good. You could of gotten it from anywhere or anyone.
    Sorry to hear that I did have surgery in Mexico but with Dr.Rodriguez in Juarez and have not had any issues,good luck and God speed on your recovery.
    I had surgery with Dr. Almanza and had no problems at all....and as far as I know, none of the others who had surgery the same day I did have had any problems with infection.
    I had surgery with Dr. Almanza on 3/27/14. My incisions sites are just faint white lines at this point that you can hardly see. I didn't have any problems with them. I used the antibacterial soap twice a day and then rinsed it with the wound wash solution.
    Staph lives on our bodies and most of the time, it doesnt bother us. That being said, you can contract it in hospitals, clinics, schools, etc. I developed MRSA a type of drug resistant staph infection after my mastectomy. Six weeks of antibiotics and lots of yogurt to replace the good bacteria fixed it:-)
    You can buy microcyn wound spray to help kill infections. We used it on infected diabetic feet or skin ulcers all the time. I worked wonders. It is a bit pricey but worth a shot. Maybe run it by your PCP first see what he says maybe get away with him writing a script for it. Hope you heal soon. Protein helps with wound healing as well. Best of luck.