Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Tifflw86

7 month update

Rate this Entry
Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I did any sort of update, so here it goes! I am a little over 7 months out. I have lost 49 pounds. I weighed 159 pounds this morning. I am wearing a size 13/14 pants and a Medium shirt. I also just bought a size 10 dress which fits me!! Womens clothes are strange, haha! But I will take it!!
49 pounds isnt A LOT, considering many of you have lost double that... BUT, it is 49 pounds OFF OF ME and I am happy

Including the little bit of weight I lost when I had the Lap Band, I have lost 84 pounds, from my highest weight, which was 243!! I was in a size 20, BARELY... I was Type 2 diabetic, had high blood pressue, PCOS, and pretty severe depression, which led to me binge eating pretty badly towards the end.

For all of you that are new, or considering this... This will NOT stop your cravings for the bad food. It will not stop you from eating badly. It will only stop your from overeating in one sitting... Your mind has GOT to be right for this to work. Honestly, I describe this surgery as a complete Mind F@ck. Excuse my language We all have bad habits, or we would not be having most of our STOMACH REMOVED to lose weight.

With that being said, I want to be completely honest... In the past couple of months, I discovered that I can eat, wait about an hour, and eat more. And thats what I was doing. BAD ME!! I have never managed to make myself sick, but I have been pretty uncomfortable. I had been in the 160s since July. It took me almost 4 months to lose 10 pounds. I think it is crucial that we track our food. (This is what has helped me) I felt like I wasnt eating THAT much, but really I was. I started tracking my food on MFP on Friday, and went from 162 to 159 over the weekend. I think tracking food is a pain in the ass, but it really is working for me, and If I can help just one other person, I will be happy. So if you are stalled, TRY IT!! It cannot hurt. You may not realize all the little bites you are taking are truly adding up.

I am so glad I had the sleeve. Even with the complications I had. (nicked spleen, collapsed lung, and a leak) I would do it again. I no longer have to shop at Lane Bryant, or grab an XXL at Target. I can go to ANY store and fit into their clothes. I just bought Victoria's Secret bras and panties over the weekend!!! I also run now. I AM A RUNNER. I've run a couple of 5k's and I see a half marathon (13.1) in my future. I run 3-4 times a week and 2 miles is now an easy run for me. THAT IS INSANE. When I started, the 60 second jog on my "Couch to 5k" app seemed impossible. Sometimes I am surprised when I walk past my reflection. I would take my extra skin over an extra 84 pounds of fat ALL DAY LONG. There are days I miss food so much. The past couple weeks in particular. I am not sure why, but there was a day that I cried driving home because I wanted to stop at Wendy's for a double stack and spicy chicken sandwich on my way home. I am not lying when I tell you a BOO-HOO cried all the way home. I knew I couldnt eat it, but I wanted it so bad. I miss eating like that. But I know it is wrong, and pointless to spend the money now. haha. This is getting easier. I can talk myself out of things now, whereas before I could validate my poor decisions somehow. "I will start tomorrow" were my famous words EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Okay, sorry for the long post. I just wanted to do this so I could read it in the future, remember my struggles, and hopefully offer some answers or clarity for those still with questions about this surgery. I am an open book if anyone wants to ask anything. Good luck to us all!!!

Submit "7 month update" to Digg Submit "7 month update" to del.icio.us Submit "7 month update" to StumbleUpon Submit "7 month update" to Google

Comments

Congrats on the loss and thanks for your honesty. Those of us considering really need to hear the good bad and the ugly in order to make an informed decision. So happy that you are healthy and happy despite the serious complications you experienced.

So glad to hear that you are running. I used to run 3miles each morning (4 years ago) and just bought a Couch to 5k book....I can't wait to be able to run again and your post reminded me that it is possible.
    Thank you for this update... I look forward to sharing your happiness.

I was getting excited, feeling better and even sucking up all the compliments I have received in the last 7 weeks... but the reality is that it has been a struggle. I grieve foods everyday. I cant seem to get my bowels regulated and I have recently started bottoming out... painful painful painful.

Everyday is an experiement with foods. I take samples of food, and sit and wait for the "UPCHUCK" to occur. What a way to reingrate foods back into your regimen. What is funny is... Ill eat One potato chip (Bad Carb)... it will stay down. I will eat and egg (Protein)... it will come up! I will bite a peice of a cookie... it will stay down... I will attempt a peice of chicken... it will come up! It seems that my mind is playing tricks on me.

When I say that I can anticipate a rejection... it is terrible. Not to mention... I have been at a 3 week stall... I think. I hate scales and had resolved to not get on it except for once a month... but I weigh the same amount as i did when I got on it 3 weeks ago! This really ruined my mood and made me feel frustrated.

I have been using the nutribullet to vary my intake and get in many vegetable and fruits naturally... which i thought would be a success... but it seems to have stalled my process and lock up my bowels. I don't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer... bucause I am truly happy about your success... I just need encouragement. Thats all...

I am so happy for you and your success.
    Pfynss
    Maybe this will make me a "bad sleever" for being so honest. I feel like sometimes some people like to pretend like they havent made any mistakes on this journey. That they dont eat bad things... Maybe they dont. But I do on occasion. I can eat chips, and keep on eating them. They go down with no issue, and I can eat alot more of them than anything else. Personally, I have never had anything come back up since I've been sleeved. (When I had the band, it was a daily occurance) Just try not to over-do it.. We know chips are bad, but just really try to limit yourself. Put them in a ziplock baggy instead of eating from the bag... So when you run out, it is over. Dont just keep on eating them.
    Eggs feel funny going down for me. They stay down, but there is alot of rumbling. I am that way with lots of foods. Especially hamburger.. It isnt so comfortable. I guess we just have to experiment. Sorry I dont have a better answer
    As far as going to the bathroom... There for awhile I had to take something so that I would go. I still am not going daily, but my Doc isnt concerned, so I wont be either. I take something if I get uncomfortable.
    Stalls SUCK!!! They are super frustrating. I just experienced one for about 3.5 months. It took me that long to lose 10 pounds. But like I said in my post, I was eating too much. And too many snacks. For example I would eat my little dinner, and then cleaning up the kitchen I would be taking bites of what was left on the stove. Since I started tracking, I have stopped doing that, and Ive started losing again. Who knows how long it will last, but it is working right now. Try new things. Thats my only suggestion. Good luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeved W Pfynss
    Thank you for this update... I look forward to sharing your happiness.

I was getting excited, feeling better and even sucking up all the compliments I have received in the last 7 weeks... but the reality is that it has been a struggle. I grieve foods everyday. I cant seem to get my bowels regulated and I have recently started bottoming out... painful painful painful.

Everyday is an experiement with foods. I take samples of food, and sit and wait for the "UPCHUCK" to occur. What a way to reingrate foods back into your regimen. What is funny is... Ill eat One potato chip (Bad Carb)... it will stay down. I will eat and egg (Protein)... it will come up! I will bite a peice of a cookie... it will stay down... I will attempt a peice of chicken... it will come up! It seems that my mind is playing tricks on me.

When I say that I can anticipate a rejection... it is terrible. Not to mention... I have been at a 3 week stall... I think. I hate scales and had resolved to not get on it except for once a month... but I weigh the same amount as i did when I got on it 3 weeks ago! This really ruined my mood and made me feel frustrated.

I have been using the nutribullet to vary my intake and get in many vegetable and fruits naturally... which i thought would be a success... but it seems to have stalled my process and lock up my bowels. I don't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer... bucause I am truly happy about your success... I just need encouragement. Thats all...

I am so happy for you and your success.
    Pfynss
    Thank you!

It is soo possible! I never wouldve believed it a year ago. Or 6 months ago really. Good luck to you, no matter which path you choose!

Quote Originally Posted by char602
    Congrats on the loss and thanks for your honesty. Those of us considering really need to hear the good bad and the ugly in order to make an informed decision. So happy that you are healthy and happy despite the serious complications you experienced.

So glad to hear that you are running. I used to run 3miles each morning (4 years ago) and just bought a Couch to 5k book....I can't wait to be able to run again and your post reminded me that it is possible.
    Hey Tiff. Congratulations! So glad to hear you're doing well in spite of the early complications. 49 pounds sounds terrific to me. I'm losing weight (25 days post-op) but slowly since I also go back for something I didn't have room for earlier as soon as my tummy has emptied some. Haven't tried chips, but soft cheetos--love 'em and they go down so easily. I'll probably have to start tracking my food when I get ready for the weight to leave a little faster, but for now I'm good.
    Hi and thanks for the honesty. I can SO relate to your post. I am 5 months out and have lost 60 pounds, some would say that isn't "fast" enough, but I say HOLY SH*#!!! 60 pounds in 5 months!!! Weight was not going to come off of me at any rate, I was completely defeated and emotionally dead when I decided on surgery, a decision I did not take lightly. I was 220 and gaining, bingeing, cut off from life and had no way of doing anything about it, my will was broken, my disease had me defeated. I say all of this because I have a disease, an addiction, a mind and soul that is insanely unhealthy when it comes to food. I have been grappling with that for over 20 years... IN NO WAY did I think this surgery was going to change that. The surgery has done for me what I can not do for myself, which is to moderate my intake of food. It has also taken away my obsession over trying to manage and control every single thing that goes into my mouth, I did that forever and for now I am letting that go, I need the mental break. Yes, the weight being gone is nice, but more than anything, the 500 thoughts around what goes into my mouth are gone and that is peace I am so truly grateful for. What it looks like for me is that I still eat crap, I am not currently monitoring my protien, I'm loosing hair and I know I need more water. I am not condoning this or encouraging anyone to do the same, just accepting that this is where I am, old behaviors that I hope in time will come to pass. For now, I am trying not to be too hard on myself about it and enjoying my new body and mental freedom. Letting go of "perfection" is tough, I wanted to diet perfectly and never could and hated myself for it. I'm tired of beating myself up. I look good and I feel good and this surgery was the best decision I ever made and I have no regrets. All the best to you on your journey!
    Morgan I am going through the same. I JUST finished antibiotics for a bladder infection yesterday. I'VE GOT to start doing better with the water. I am just not thirsty, and even when I am, water doesnt feel so great going down. As odd as it sounds. Cold water is uncomfortable, room temp is a little better, but still no. I hate water!!
    I too have an insanely unhealthy relationship with food. And it took this surgery for me to realize it. Which I suppose I am grateful for.. haha. Just kidding, I am totaly grateful. But it doesnt make it any easier. This is rough. But worth it.
    I didnt want to condone my bad behavior either, and I didnt want others to be mad at me, but I just wanted to be honest for people trying to decide. Thank you for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by MorganChanning
    Hi and thanks for the honesty. I can SO relate to your post. I am 5 months out and have lost 60 pounds, some would say that isn't "fast" enough, but I say HOLY SH*#!!! 60 pounds in 5 months!!! Weight was not going to come off of me at any rate, I was completely defeated and emotionally dead when I decided on surgery, a decision I did not take lightly. I was 220 and gaining, bingeing, cut off from life and had no way of doing anything about it, my will was broken, my disease had me defeated. I say all of this because I have a disease, an addiction, a mind and soul that is insanely unhealthy when it comes to food. I have been grappling with that for over 20 years... IN NO WAY did I think this surgery was going to change that. The surgery has done for me what I can not do for myself, which is to moderate my intake of food. It has also taken away my obsession over trying to manage and control every single thing that goes into my mouth, I did that forever and for now I am letting that go, I need the mental break. Yes, the weight being gone is nice, but more than anything, the 500 thoughts around what goes into my mouth are gone and that is peace I am so truly grateful for. What it looks like for me is that I still eat crap, I am not currently monitoring my protien, I'm loosing hair and I know I need more water. I am not condoning this or encouraging anyone to do the same, just accepting that this is where I am, old behaviors that I hope in time will come to pass. For now, I am trying not to be too hard on myself about it and enjoying my new body and mental freedom. Letting go of "perfection" is tough, I wanted to diet perfectly and never could and hated myself for it. I'm tired of beating myself up. I look good and I feel good and this surgery was the best decision I ever made and I have no regrets. All the best to you on your journey!
    Fae, if I had one teensy bit of advice I would urge you to stop doing that now. I did it from July-October and only lost 10 pounds. It was very discouraging, and I didnt realize how much it was stalling me until I stopped. I have lost almost 5 pounds since Friday just tracking and not snacking. I dont want you to go through it too. Jalapeno cheetos are my LOVEEEE. and on friday I managed to eat a whole medium sized bag of them. TERRIBLE. and I felt awful afterwards. Mostly guilt. I will never do that again. We didnt have this surgery to force down cheetos. We did it for a change, and I will not continue to sabatoge myself. I guess I just had to get my mind right again. Good luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by Fae
    Hey Tiff. Congratulations! So glad to hear you're doing well in spite of the early complications. 49 pounds sounds terrific to me. I'm losing weight (25 days post-op) but slowly since I also go back for something I didn't have room for earlier as soon as my tummy has emptied some. Haven't tried chips, but soft cheetos--love 'em and they go down so easily. I'll probably have to start tracking my food when I get ready for the weight to leave a little faster, but for now I'm good.