Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Mandy's Medley

I know stalls happen, but it's been 6 weeks :(

Rate this Entry
I know stalls happen after surgery and they can be frustrating. I went through a 3 week stall right before my 3 month checkup, and finally lost that last 5 pounds that I needed to before I went to the dr. That was the beginning of June. I now have lost about 5 more pounds since then, but have been stalled pretty much for 6 weeks now . I go up 2 pounds, then down 2-3 and back up. UUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!! I'm now starting to think I need to do the 5 day pouch test thing that I've heard about on here. I have been exercising (6 days water aerobics 1 hour class, and 1-2 miles on treadmill every day), but it seems like I'm not getting anywhere. I'm anxious about it because if I don't lose another 25 pounds before I go back to the dr in september, he may make me see the nut, and quite frankly, I don't have the $50 that it's going to cost for them to tell me the same things that they told me before surgery. I'm just frustrated and venting. I know that it will eventually pass, but it seems like it's been forever. Thanks for reading fellow sleevers, I feel a little better since I've got this off my chest

Submit "I know stalls happen, but it's been 6 weeks :(" to Digg Submit "I know stalls happen, but it's been 6 weeks :(" to del.icio.us Submit "I know stalls happen, but it's been 6 weeks :(" to StumbleUpon Submit "I know stalls happen, but it's been 6 weeks :(" to Google

Comments

Are you keeping track of your food intake? I don't use myfitnesspal regularly but my surgeon said to use it if I stall for more than a week just to get an idea of what I'm really taking in. Also, have you considered switching up the exercise? Sometimes our bodies get complacent when we do the same thing or eat the same stuff every day. Maybe try a spinning class or use the elliptical and stair climber instead of the treadmill.

People try the 5 day pouch test when they feel they are eating too much or fear they are.

You are doing great and mentally you understand the stalls and that's huge. Maybe just put the scale away and focus on another part of this journey like how to mentally handle stalls. Read a new book, write a journal or blog, attend a craft class etc. Just step back from the scale and let your body adjust!
    I second what bestnester has said. Start a food diary of some sort and remember ABC (all bites count). Get a handle on what you are taking in and see if you have old habits starting to sneak back in. I hit a stall and realized that I had started grazing again when I started the food diary. Keep up the good work and remember that it is a journey not just a trip. We are in the long haul and not for the short time. Godspeed.
    you may not be eating enough if your exercise has gone up! your body will not let you lose the weight if it thinks your are starving. Try to do what bestnester said and keep track of your food intake and you may need adjust the caloric intake, more or less based on your exercise. Good Luck!
    Somethings to keep in mind:
    48+ oz of water a day needed, even more if your are working out,
    70-80g of protein a day needed, even MORE if you are working out,
    multivitamin daily
    vit d daily
    calcuim daily

Now, look at what you eat. Since you are working out, you'll need to up your calories and carb intake alittle ( so you can fuel the body). Lean meats, low starch, lots of vegis and fruits. No soda/sweet tea, sweet coffee's/kool aids and avoid caffine all together!

Now lets look at your cool down period. When you work out/do vigerous exercise, you must allow your body,mind and muscles to rest, regenerate, and heal. You need to give 20 hours between your last workout in order to let them rest. Remember, if you were in perfect shape, less recovery time, but since you are not, you'll need a longer recovery.

Finally, think about sleep. For me, when I workout/walk/run, I use to sleep great that night, (due to be exhausted), is that the case for you? Are you going to bed, and getting 7-8+ hours of real sleep? Or are you working out at night, and its jazzing you up, and keeping you up late? If that is the case, maybe try working out in the mornings? That way, by the end of the day, your more likely to sleep in longer intravels-

Your doing great overall, this is just a minor hurdle, dont let this phase you, adapt, and keep moving! Best of luck,
    PS- only weigh yourself in the mornings, after your first B.M (potty), naked. Nada, zilch, nothing on. You have to be consistant. I was weighting all throughout the day, and on different peoples scales (mine, friends, surgeons office). Got all different results. Now I only use mine, in the mornings, naked, after my first potty. That way, its consistant-
    PS- only weigh yourself in the mornings, after your first B.M (potty), naked. Nada, zilch, nothing on. You have to be consistant. I was weighting all throughout the day, and on different peoples scales (mine, friends, surgeons office). Got all different results. Now I only use mine, in the mornings, naked, after my first potty. That way, its consistant-
    Definitely change up the exercise. I had to do that. Your body gets use to the same activities so you won't loose. It's like your body says this is normal activity and it's not going to do anything different if you don't. So try something different for a week or two and then go back to your other exercises again. It should help. Good luck
    Thanks everybody! I really appreciate the input. I think I will change up my exercise from mostly cardio to more weights, and will start keeping a food diary. I'm terrible at keeping a food diary, but have been trying to do that. I've noticed it's like using cash only in that you really think about what you spend (eat) before you do or not. Thanks again for the kind words, advice and encouragement!