Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Phoenixrise

Facts you may not be aware of about Protein and Weight loss

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Did you now the importance of Protein? I did not, I knew it was important but did not know why it was so important. I thought I would share with others what I found in my research and give you some insight of why you should focus on getting the recommended amount of protein each day to aid in your weight loss journey. Especially if your weight loss has been a little slower. Well I outlined the basic needs to know about protein. I may not have tackled it all but got the most important facts I would want to know.

The IMPORTANCE of Protein in Weight Loss
I read In a study published in Nutrition Metabolism, "dieters who increased their protein intake to 30 percent of their diet ate nearly 450 fewer calories a day and lost about 11 pounds over the 12-week study without employing any other dietary measures. it also added protein is doubly essential for making sure you lose fat, not muscle. Your body uses the amino acids in protein to build lean muscle, which not only makes you stronger and more toned but also fries calories even when you're not active—unlike lazy fat. Ultimately, this keeps your metabolism humming along at high speed so you can burn off the occasional cookie, no problem." If you want to read more on the article provided by Women's Health: High Protein Diet and Weight Loss | Women's Health Magazine I advise reading this entire article it will help you realize the value of protein something I DID NOT realize exactly why it was so essential. I have not been meeting the recommended amount of protein for a person of my weight which explains why my scale is not moving on the amount of body fat I have. Now it is something I have to put on my to do list in increasing my daily amount. The article suggest how you can determine the recommended amount of daily protein you should be consuming, but Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is 56 grams a day for men and 46 grams a day for women. Experts advise aiming for around 120 grams of protein a day. if your trying to lose weight. It is also recommended if you want to increase your protein intake, do it slowly over the course of a week. My problem is I know I may need it but if I don't like it I won't use it. I feel why waste my money having something I won't use regardless how bad I need it. I have to find something besides protein shakes that will allow me to get protein in.

Protein and Weight Loss Plateaus/Stalls
If you done research on protein it is also suggested consuming high amounts of protein will also aid in weight loss plateaus, because it raises your metabolism. With each pound of muscle you add on it burns 40-50 more calories per day. Protein also fills you up better than a heavy carbohydrate meal. Which now I can see why the Atkins diet works so well for many. In a study, reported in the Journal of Nutrition, showed that a high-protein diet combined with exercise enhanced weight and fat loss and improved blood fat levels. Researchers believe increasing your protein intake causes the brain to receive lower levels of appetite-stimulating hormones. **Also I read there are no risk for eating a high protein or overeating the RDA unless you have kidney disease.

Foods HIGH in Protein
I researched what foods give high amounts of protein then. To see what I might like that won't require me to do a protein shake or shot. I do not mind protein bars but even eating too much of one thing can become boring and burnt out. Variety is always best for any person. Yes I want to be skinny but what you have to think is this? Am I willing to do all the things I do not like to drink, eat, etc. to be small and when I get to t I the size I want to be at will I be able to maintain the same standards I did to get here? Let us be realistic we may tend to slack off and start gaining the weight back. It is better to know what you like and eat it now to get where you want because you have a better chance of staying there afterwards. I found a site stating ten foods high in protein. To save you all Googling search time I provided the foods and link to the article. Get a pen to write it down. First, Of all cheeses low sodium Parmesan cheese provides the most protein with 41.6 grams per 100 gram serving. Second, Mature roasted soybeans have the most providing 39.6 grams of protein per 100 gram serving, or 68 grams per cup. Third, lean cuts. Specifically the top round of veal or beef provides around 36 grams of protein per 100 gram serving. Fourth,pumpkin and squash seeds provide 33 grams of protein per 100g serving, that is 74.8 grams per cup and 9.2 grams per ounce. Fifth, lean meats provide around 30 grams of protein (30%) in a 100 gram serving. Chicken broilers have the most with 32.8 grams of protein per 100 gram serving, which is 46 grams per cup, and 27 grams in half a chicken breast. Sixth, Yellowfin Tuna provides the most with 30 grams per 100 gram serving, or about 8 grams per ounce. It is followed by Anchovies(29g), Salmon(27g), Halibut(27g), Snapper(26g), and Tilapia(26g). Seventh, Caviar and fish eggs are most often eaten as a garnish or spread. A sampling of fish roe (eggs) from a variety of species found they provide 28.6 grams of protein in a 100 gram serving. That is 8 grams of protein per ounce. Caviar will provide 24 grams of protein in a 100 gram serving or 6.9 grams per ounce. Chicken eggs, by comparison, only offer 13.6 grams of protein in a 100 gram serving, or 6.3 grams of protein per egg. Eighth, Yeast extract spreads are popular in Britain and Europe, and have started to gain popularity in the U.S. A good vegan source of vitamin B12, the spread also packs a lot of protein. One hundred grams provides 27.8 grams of protein, that is 1.7 grams per teaspoon. THIS IS NOT AN APPEASING TASTE TO AMERICANS, I tasted this and it is like seaweed. It is popular amongst the English Ninth, Crab and lobster are most commonly served baked, steamed, or in bisque. A 100g serving of lobster contains 26.4 grams of protein, or 43 grams per lobster. Crab provides a little less with 19.4 grams per 100 gram serving. Finally tenth, Lentils, pulses, and peanuts (a legume) are a great vegan source of protein. Peanuts provide the most protein with 23.7 grams per 100 gram serving or 6.6 grams per ounce, 0.2 grams per peanut. Lentils provide the most protein when consumed raw at 25.8 grams per 100 gram serving, and 9 grams per 100g serving cooked (17.9 grams of protein per cup). I found this at Top 10 Foods Highest in Protein You will find if you conduct a search these foods will pop up as being rich in protein. Another thing we have to keep in mind is are food intake is less so we will not be able to consume the quantity needed to get all the protein in it.

Well this is just something I didn't know and maybe some of you knew already but I just wanted to get it out there for those who did not know. Thanks for letting me share take care. STAY FOCUSED AND ENCOURAGED.

Submit "Facts you may not be aware of about Protein and Weight loss" to Digg Submit "Facts you may not be aware of about Protein and Weight loss" to del.icio.us Submit "Facts you may not be aware of about Protein and Weight loss" to StumbleUpon Submit "Facts you may not be aware of about Protein and Weight loss" to Google

Updated 12-08-2012 at 06:54 PM by Phoenixrise

Categories
Weight Loss thoughts

Comments

Thank you so much! Very informative, I will strive to get my protien up. My mom is British and used to eat Marmite, gads, made me barf as a kid!!
    Thank you for this great information!! I am going to read it. Thanks!
    Thank you for your research and hard work! I appreciate it!
    Thank you!! This may be the reason why I am not losing as fast as some of the others! I am going on my 3rd month of being sleeved and the last 2 months I am not losing but 10 lbs a month! I have lost 46 lbs before I was sleeved in Aug. Gonna have to get my protein in!! I just haven't been able to!
    [QUOTE=sleeveinbama;bt43450]Thank you!! This may be the reason why I am not losing as fast as some of the others! I am going on my 3rd month of being sleeved and the last 2 months I am not losing but 10 lbs a month! I have lost 46 lbs before I was sleeved in Aug. Gonna have to get my protein in!! I just haven't been able to![/QUOTE]

"Only" ten pounds a month? That is perfect. Wait until you are only losoing 3 pounds a month!
    I don't know how to measure my protein intake.
    It's all so confusing, but so worth the effort! Thanks for sharing, and continued success.
    Wow, thanks for the info, very informative... i try and get my protein in sometimes its hard, but i try...
    Easiest way to measure it log all your food in myfitnesspal
    thanks for the info, i have not been doing well with protein and this may by why im not loosing like i want to!
    Thanks for the info! My nutritionist warned me that the body can't use more than 50 grams of protein at one time, just something to keep in mind.
    [QUOTE=MrsBushford;bt43509]Thanks for the info! My nutritionist warned me that the body can't use more than 50 grams of protein at one time, just something to keep in mind.[/QUOTE]
    That's so true! No use drinking something with a stated "60 grams of protein per serving!".. You are just wasting it.

Personally, I like to do 20grams two times a day (like in a drink or something) and then the rest from my regular food. That should be enough. Of course, I'm a year out. If a newbie, then 20 gram three times a day. Just my opinion, of course!
    Thanks for sharing! Great information.
    thanks for sharing!
    Thanks for the info! Its just what I am having trouble with!
    Since before 6wks post-op I have consumed all my protein from food sources - at the direction of my NUT. I eat about 75% of my intake to protein and the balance in carb/veggie. My weight is maintaining at 15 months out - exactly where I wanted to be. Example today's lunch was can of tuna, hard boiled egg, pickle and mayo (it was actually spread over lunch and afternoon snack.
    Thank you for posting such great information. I guess I will drink some more of my protein!������
    This popped up in the latest activity feed again and I am glad it did. Thank you for sharing all your research. It's still helpful to those of us still in the early stages years later.
    I agree!
    That's why I was fat, I ate carbs, not protein. I never ate a a lot, just the wrong things. Now I always start with protein. I've been at the same weight for 5 months with, as I feel, absolutely no effort on my part. My staples are eggs, meat, fish, low-fat string cheese, greek yogurt, and nuts.